Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PNP switch removal

Views : 1986

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2020, 20:09   #11
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

New valve body is around £500.No idea if the solenoids are available separately.
Could be a break in the harness somewhere.
Box will more than likely have to come out.
Just what you need this time of year.
Hope things work out for you.
Thanks for reporting back and good luck with it👍
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 11:53   #12
stevepcar
Steve

Default Auto Transmission warning light

Continuing issue with my 1996 T5 Auto. 158,000 miles. Warning arrow comes on at about 60mph or above. All gears seem to be engaging ok. After stopping car & leaving for a few days the light goes out. Took it to Bristol transmissions, who tell me it needs a gearbox re-build around £1,800!!!
Cant't understand it as it seems to run ok.
Really don't know what to do I was given the car for free, so apart from changing the PCV system & tyres it owes me nothing. Is it worth spending this sort of money on it? Its in good condition otherwise, or am I throwing good money after bad? I really don't want to scrap it or break for spares.
I need advice from somebody less sentimental & level headed.
stevepcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 14:09   #13
Luxobarge
Premier Member

You say it changes all gear OK, and I'd agree. The only thing that happens at around 60mph is the torque converter lock-up, (when driving this feels like an extra gear engaging) so it sounds to me like this is where the fault lies. So perhaps the reason you say it appears to run fine is that above 60mph it hasn't locked up the torque converter, which you probably wouldn't notice all that much, apart from slightly higher revs than you'd normally expect at speeds above 60, and the accompanying slight reduction in fuel economy. Can't say more than that as I've no experience of working on these boxes, but does anybody else know if the torque converter lock-up solenoid can be accessed without removing the box? Or anything else external that could be causing this? I guess it might be worth trying to check the harness to the 'box? Hope that helps!

That sounds expensive for a box re-build, if you do have to go down that route I'd be tempted to do a swap from a scrap car. Or find somewhere that does exchange boxes? Everything in my soul says don't scrap the car for this, it'd be such a shame - there's usually a way to sort it economically!

Last edited by Luxobarge; Jan 21st, 2020 at 14:12.
Luxobarge is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luxobarge For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 15:48   #14
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
That sounds expensive for a box re-build, if you do have to go down that route I'd be tempted to do a swap from a scrap car. Or find somewhere that does exchange boxes? Everything in my soul says don't scrap the car for this, it'd be such a shame - there's usually a way to sort it economically!
I'd second Luxobarge's advice there, and feeling the same as he does about not scrapping your car. You can sort it, I know you can, and will. I've found lots of used parts for my old V70 Tdi through the people below..

https://www.partsgateway.co.uk/

If you want a bit of encouragement, in December 2009 I blew my V70 Tdi engine. Totally wrecked it. It was coming up to Christmas, below zero temperatures, and the car was stuck on a mates farm outside in the weather. Cut a long story short, I felt like giving up and scrapping it, but thanks to the support I had from the guys on this forum I stuck it out and got it done, and the old gal is still pulling the miles today.

Here's the link to that little episode if you want a bit of encouragement..

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=85720

I wish you all the best with your work to sort your auto-box..

Dave..

My old Turquoise 850 TDi GLT & my present Garnet Red V70 TDi CD

My 1998 V70 TDi CD : http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/album.php?albumid=654

Last edited by tdidave; Jan 21st, 2020 at 16:25.
tdidave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tdidave For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 16:50   #15
stevepcar
Steve

Thanks to all for their support. After posting I spoke to the technician that diagnosed my problem & he said that the scanner had flagged up 1:2:2 break in S1 solenoid circuit. He said that they could replace the solenoid, this would be a much cheaper option (about £650 including parts), but might not solve the problem as the car had been stood on & off for 7-years & some seals or electrical connections could have deteriorated. I have recently seen an article on the Mathews Volvo forum that describes in v good detail how to remove & test the solenoids, without removing the box or dropping the sub-frame. This was an amatuer that did it on his driveway in a weekend. I am much encouraged & think I will go down this route , I have nothing to lose as my labour is free! Afterall I have in the past removed & completely overhauled a 240 engine & it started & ran first time without any issues. The solenoid access is through the side of the box & although fiddly, it is possible without any special tools.
wish me luck I will post updates.
The Following User Says Thank You to stevepcar For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 18:32   #16
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Yeah.. post those updates Steve. Hopefully you'll get it cracked and you'll be set fair for years to come.

All the best..

Dave..

My old Turquoise 850 TDi GLT & my present Garnet Red V70 TDi CD

My 1998 V70 TDi CD : http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/album.php?albumid=654
tdidave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tdidave For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 20:09   #17
rudi dudi

£1800 is about right for a box rebuild.£600 odd for a valve body.
Depends on if you want to go half a job or doing it properly.
In my opinion no point in pulling a box and just shoving a new valve body in.
Bit like just changing a clutch friction plate and leaving the Dmf and pressure plate( can be done but just a bit daft as your all ready in there)
Change it for a used box and take a gamble, scrap the car or go the whole hog only you can decide.
The Following User Says Thank You to rudi dudi For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 16:15   #18
stevepcar
Steve

Having problems sourcing auto transmission solenoids from the UK. Anybody any suggestions? Its for the AW-42LE box fitted to 1996 T5 Turbo.
cheers
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 18:32   #19
rudi dudi

Jpat are in Bristol.
If they cant supply them I doubt you'll get them anywhere.
Some times it's not possible to get the solenoid and you have to replace the valve body as a whole unit.
Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to rudi dudi For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 12:48   #20
stevepcar
Steve

The continuing story of restoring my 1996 850 T5, ref transmission warning light. I decided to go the whole hog and swap the box for a second hand one. The seller seems genuine, I travelled to Wales in storm Dennis to collect it. he had numerous 850 & V70 spares including a stack of front wings, which I also plundered with glee. Anyway I have started to strip out the old box, following useful post from Mathews Volvo site. I had only flushed the oil & replaced it about 30 miles ago, when the light first came on, so I was surprised to see that the oil was already dark brown. So I guess it was on its way out anyway. The s/h box had pink oil coming out of it, so I am hoping that is a good sign & not just that it had been put in when it was stripped out of the original car. But then I have always been cynical.
I will keep posting with updates........