Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Should I avoid Summer tyres and get all-season ones?

Views : 1838

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2011, 00:21   #1
gck303

Default Should I avoid Summer tyres and get all-season ones?

I need to get some new tires.

Should I get Summer Michelin Premacy HPs? Or do I get all-Season ones?

I don't do much driving in the snow. Well, no more so than anyone else in the London now. But reading this article, http://www.insideline.com/features/t...vs-summer.html, makes me think that we should not be using summer tyres in the winter. And I do not have the space or inclination to change tyres for the winter.
Quote:
It takes 11.7 seconds for our Civic Si to accelerate to 40 mph on snow tires, and 14.5 seconds to get there on all-season rubber — nearly 3 seconds and 24 percent slower. As for the summer tires, well, they require, ahem, 41.7 seconds as they struggle to 40 mph. That's no typo; it takes a half-minute longer — 257 percent more time — for the summer tires to reach this modest speed.

What about our traditional 0-60-mph test? Well, snow tires get to 60 mph in 19.1 seconds, while the all-season treads arrive in 22.9 seconds, nearly 4 seconds later. Forget the summer tires, however. The available 3,650 feet of snow — seven-tenths of a mile — isn't enough. We figure 67 seconds and 3,100 feet are needed to get there, and then there's the small matter of needing to stop again.

And that brings us to our next test: full stops with ABS engaged. Here again the snow tires dominate, stopping from 40 mph in 156 feet, some 28 feet shorter than the all-season tires' 184-foot performance. Meanwhile, our summer tires skate to an ultimate distance of 351 feet, the ABS actuator rattling for all it's worth the whole way.
George
gck303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 11:44   #2
Jim314
Premier Member

It seems to me that 'summer' tyres are only good for extracting maximum performance on hot dry pavement.

So for normal use in the UK it would be 'all season' tyres, and in the British climate those with the additional 'M + S' designation might confer an additional benefit.

Quote:
In many countries, the law requires that tires must be specified, and fitted, to exceed the maximum speed of the vehicle they are mounted on, with regards to their speed rating code (except for "Temporary Use" spare tires). In the European community, tires that are not fit for a car's or motorcycle's particular maximum speed are illegal to mount. The sole exception are M+S tires, where a warning sticker stating the allowed maximum speed must be placed within clear sight of the driver inside the vehicle. Some manufacturers will install a speed governor if a vehicle is ordered with tires rated below the vehicle's maximum speed.

If a tire is replaced with a lower speed rating than originally specified by the vehicle manufacturer, then this may render the vehicle insurance invalid.[citatio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

Last edited by Jim314; Feb 20th, 2011 at 11:47.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 13:22   #3
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Better idea, use normal tyres and stay indoors for the 3 days a year it snow in the south.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 13:32   #4
Bill_56
Premier Member

Hmm, all-seasons may well be a good choice if winters aren't an option. But I'm not convinced by the findings published in that article, so don't let it raise your expectations.

I have Nokian WRG2s for winter, and I rarely say a word against them. Magical on snow and ice, and perfectly adequate in milder winter weather too.

However, one thing is very noticeable and that is on dry tarmac, hot or cold, it is MUCH easier to get the traction control light blinking than with summer tyres. Whereas with summer tyres, I have to drive like an absolute hooligan to get the traction light flashing as I exit the roundabouts, with winter tyres it happens all too easily. Does that not surely mean that adhesion is poorer?

Some of the difference may be due to the narrower section (205 vs 225), but I do get the impression the rubber is just less sticky on a dry road, even at near-freezing temperatures. I've never tried them in summer, but I'd bet they'd be even less sticky.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 13:41   #5
mattyfezf
v70 Awd T se

My opinion is that the weather is too mild here to make it worth it - they might be handy 1 month per year if you are lucky, and the rest of the time they will perform sub-optimaly in relation to a summer tyre.

If anything, I would buy some cheap steel wheels and put some proper winter tyres on, but then you live in the south, so still, its a lot of money and effort for something you will get very little use from... I would suggest a summer tyre that excels in wet weather would be the most sensible choise for the temperate British climate.

This article is quite interesting:
http://www.insideline.com/features/t...vs-summer.html

EDIT: Ha! i just noticed the OP is a quote from the same article!

Last edited by mattyfezf; Feb 20th, 2011 at 13:48.
mattyfezf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 19:55   #6
beaconsman

Default winter tyres

rubbish! I put M & S tyres on from end of october till end of march ish..make a massive difference, plus i can pull onto verges on our small country lanes and still get traction, were on bbc look north during november, no1 could move..well, we did with our volvo and snow chains, coupled with the winter tyres.

fail to prepare, prepare to fail..as the motto goes..
beaconsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beaconsman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:04   #7
gck303

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyfezf View Post
My opinion is that the weather is too mild here to make it worth it - they might be handy 1 month per year if you are lucky, and the rest of the time they will perform sub-optimaly in relation to a summer tyre.

If anything, I would buy some cheap steel wheels and put some proper winter tyres on, but then you live in the south, so still, its a lot of money and effort for something you will get very little use from... I would suggest a summer tyre that excels in wet weather would be the most sensible choise for the temperate British climate.)
I think this is what I will do.

Any not go out when for the few days there is snow everywhere...
gck303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 16:39   #8
beaconsman

Default adverse weather

it is ok not do go out if it is snowing., lying snow but then..i wouldnt get paid..besides, I like my job.
beaconsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 21:06   #9
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Michelin say that Primacy HP tyres are not recommended for use in temperature at, below or near freezing.

Ultimately it depends what kind of motoring you're doing, how many miles, what car you have and how you drive.

If I was doing only 10k a year and never went over the speed limit I'd probably just have Nokian WR G2 on all year round, but I do nearer 25 miles a year and like to drive in a spirited fashion sometimes so I have Primacy HPs for the summer and Nokians for the winter. Although I'd probably move to Continentals for the summer when my Michelins wear out.

The grip this winter in snow, ice and wet conditions has been far better on the Nokians than any summer tyre I've used.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 08:36   #10
JimG
Premier Member

I'm really not keen on the Primacy HP. I find that because it's a touring tyre the compound too hard for me and this results in a poor ride and a tendency to lose grip early if pushed hard.

Much prefer Pilot Sports, Continental Contisports or if you want a cheaper tyre the Falken ZE912 are doing nicely on my V70 T5 at the moment. Very quiet and a smooth running tyre.

As for running winter tyres all year round, on a 2WD car I would rather use the right tyre for the time of year. If I had a 4x4 or SUV then I would be happy with a set of All Season tyres or some winters like Vredstein Wintrac 4 Extreme.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote