Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Comfort / V50 2.0d / D5

Views : 8345

Replies : 85

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2011, 13:32   #1
r30ser
Wanting a Volvo

Question Volvo Comfort / V50 2.0d / D5

Hi All,

I am after some advise.
I currently have a 55Reg 2.0D DSG Golf, and want to change for a Volvo.

My reason for changing is comfort, is a V50 good for a bad back, how does it compare to larger V70?

I am looking at a used V50 2.0D Powershift or the D5 Geatronic.

My concern is MPG, can anybody give me an idea of figures?

I really like the R-Design, are the seats any good? do they get grubby quick?
Would I be better off with a normal leather seat or no leather?

I would appreciate anyones comments.

Thanks

Andy
r30ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 14:44   #2
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

I've only had a V70 Diesel, but i can tell you the 5 cylinder volvo diesel will return 42 - 46 mpg everyday driving, and over 50 on long runs. Geartronic will be slightly less as with any other automatic, but the geartronic box is great to drive with. You're probably better off with the bigger V70. I'm also led to believe that the V50 is just a Ford Focus !

Last edited by Rossi-fan; Mar 31st, 2011 at 15:04.
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 17:03   #3
r30ser
Wanting a Volvo

Question

Hi Rossi-fan,

Thanks for the reply.
Can I ask, which D5 you have, (bhp)

My understanding also is that the V50 is a Ford Focus, ( is this a good or bad thing..?)

Does anyone have experience with a geartronic version?
How about the V50 D5 geartronic?

Are the seats any different between the v50 and V70?
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 17:53   #4
tayandre

If the V50 is "just a Ford Focus", then don't forget the V70 is Mondeo based.

That's not a bad thing - most Fords are class leading for driving dynamics, Volvos unfortunately are not. Competent but nothing special, which might not matter to you.

We have both a C30 (identical to a V50) and a V70 in our house. The V70 has by quite a margin better seat comfort than the C30. Softer but more supportive, thicker and more luxurious.

Geartronic is not the best auto, you will find it disappointing coming from a DSG Golf. We used to have a Passat DSG and that's a far better drive than a V70 Geartronic. The Volvo is far more comfortable and quieter but in MPG terms a V70 diesel auto is not an economical car. High 30s is as good as you'll get unless you are very careful.

I had a look at the brand new Focus the other day out of curiosity, the seat comfort on that is on par with the V70. You can get that as a diesel Powershift - similar to DSG. It's worth having a look. In terms of build and feel it's up there with a VW or Audi. I'd consider one when it's time to change my C30.

If you do look at a V50 or V70 avoid the R-Design models, they have large wheels and stiff suspension so the ride is not smooth over the bumps.
tayandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 18:54   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi-fan View Post
I've only had a V70 Diesel, but i can tell you the 5 cylinder volvo diesel will return 42 - 46 mpg everyday driving, and over 50 on long runs. Geartronic will be slightly less as with any other automatic, but the geartronic box is great to drive with. You're probably better off with the bigger V70. I'm also led to believe that the V50 is just a Ford Focus !
A V50 is certainly not a rebadged ford focus !
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 18:59   #6
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
A V50 is certainly not a rebadged ford focus !
Its just what i've seen posted on here from time to time clan.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossi-fan For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 19:03   #7
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r30ser View Post
Hi Rossi-fan,

Thanks for the reply.
Can I ask, which D5 you have, (bhp)

My understanding also is that the V50 is a Ford Focus, ( is this a good or bad thing..?)

Does anyone have experience with a geartronic version?
How about the V50 D5 geartronic?

Are the seats any different between the v50 and V70?
I had the first P2 version. It was a 2.5 D 5 cylinder model. They brought the
D5 out the following year which was a 2.4. Cant speak for the seats in a V50 by the way.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 19:07   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

The floor pan is similar but not the same , the massive beam across the back end of the chassis of the V50 is completely missing on the ford , the suspension and arms and hubs are the same , dampers and springs different , door hinges and door check straps are more robust on the volvo , the beam across the front of the volvo between the headlamps is metal . plastic on the ford , and the complete structure above the floor is different and made of stronger metal . etc etc Drive a focus, drive a V50 , feels two completely different cars .. the volvo more refined ...
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 19:20   #9
r30ser
Wanting a Volvo

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayandre View Post
If the V50 is "just a Ford Focus", then don't forget the V70 is Mondeo based.

That's not a bad thing - most Fords are class leading for driving dynamics, Volvos unfortunately are not. Competent but nothing special, which might not matter to you.

We have both a C30 (identical to a V50) and a V70 in our house. The V70 has by quite a margin better seat comfort than the C30. Softer but more supportive, thicker and more luxurious.

Geartronic is not the best auto, you will find it disappointing coming from a DSG Golf. We used to have a Passat DSG and that's a far better drive than a V70 Geartronic. The Volvo is far more comfortable and quieter but in MPG terms a V70 diesel auto is not an economical car. High 30s is as good as you'll get unless you are very careful.

I had a look at the brand new Focus the other day out of curiosity, the seat comfort on that is on par with the V70. You can get that as a diesel Powershift - similar to DSG. It's worth having a look. In terms of build and feel it's up there with a VW or Audi. I'd consider one when it's time to change my C30.

If you do look at a V50 or V70 avoid the R-Design models, they have large wheels and stiff suspension so the ride is not smooth over the bumps.
Thank you for the feedback.

I thought the R-design has 17" alloys, but also an option for 18". I understand the 18"s would make a harder ride, but what about the 17"?

Any thoughts on the interior? Advice? Leather or not?
I have read that V70 quality is better than the V50?
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 19:22   #10
r30ser
Wanting a Volvo

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi-fan View Post
Was yours the geartronic or manual?

anyone got experience with a V50 D5 geartronic?