Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Flexi Fuel engine problem when hot

Views : 2853

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2012, 19:53   #1
v5000

Default V50 Flexi Fuel engine problem when hot

Hi I am new here and I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to help with an engine query on my V50 2008 flexi-fuel.
Basically it wont start first time while hot or after a run.It ''Pinks'' like mad through the gear changes.Its getting noisy now low down in the gearbox area could be flywheel/clutch.It starts ok from cold.No engine lights on and everything looks ok. Fuel consumption up by 1/3 rd on unleaded.Main dealer diagnostic showed up nothing.
Thanks PW
v5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 20:10   #2
v5000

Default Ps

Dealer wants 75 euro per hour to try and see whats up which is a bit rich.
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 09:12   #3
getsome

How new is you engine management SW in the car ? In sweden there has been issues when driving the FFV and freewheeling the revs would hunt and this was from what I heard caused by faulty / buggy software , maybe the same issue with yours ? Could be worth to upgrade ECM just for the sake of trial and error. You could also have a faulty sensor that just wont work correctly only when it΄s hot. My best tip is order a VIDA + DICE from china and try to log ECM parameters when car is hot to see if any values are out of spec. You can find the cheapest on aliexpress.com it will be the best £100 you ever spend and you will then be able to do the same diagnostics as the dealer.
getsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 17:20   #4
Daim
Brit in Germany

Okay, question is: which engine is it? 1.8F or 2.0F?

The 1.8F suffers from the same illnesses, the 1.8 has. Erratic idle when freewheeling and random stalling/starting issues.

Try the following when you start when warm:

- put your key in the ignition
- press gas pedal right through and let off again
- start the car normally

A problem this engine has, is that it has an EGR which ends right behind the throttlebody. As far as I have been able to see, the EGR is without a valve (this is what I have so far seen), so a certain amount of exhaust gases are pumped into the intake manifold and kept there, as the throttle body is closed. By opening the throttle, the gases are "circulated" and a start is easier as fresh gases can ignite.

If that doesn't work, then try removing the throttle body and giving it a good clean up. I did that on my car as it started to go a little "potty". You'll be amazed how much grime is behind the throttle body. The front of the flap is always clean. Behind is black. You'll need some good cleaner - brake cleaner does not do the job well enough...

If THAT doesn't work: see if Volvo has a new update. The Flexifuels had for a long time new software offered nearly every week. As the earliest ones are now around 3-4 years old, the software should now be a final release version

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 21:46   #5
v5000

Its the 1.8 Flexi engine 2008

Thanks again. Havn't checked in to forum in a long while and havn,t done much about problem.To be honest its all a bit technical for me but if I give it to a local mechanic perhaps he can work it out.Thanks for the help.