Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 front coil spring

Views : 2885

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2013, 19:11   #1
Brucey4

Default V50 front coil spring

Guys,

Got my V50 serviced today and found out my o/s/f coil spring is broken could anyone on the forum from Glasgow recommend where to get a replacement ?
Brucey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 10:47   #2
IanLD

Funnily enough I just had the N/S/F replaced at Findlay's Garage in Jackton last week for my MOT.

Cost was very reasonable and pleased to hear that they did some work to strut top mount bearings unlike previous garage I used to use just outside Newton Mearns.

There is also Volvomax and Voltech (Springboig and Bridgeton respectively).

Findlay's Garage is not far past the police college, so easy enough to get train from Hairmyres (or cycle to and from in my case).
IanLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 18:41   #3
kaptainkremin

They always recommend you change coil springs in pairs, but the choice is yours as it upsets the handling, but depends on how you use it, driving miss daisy or chasing the Devil.lol
kaptainkremin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kaptainkremin For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 18:49   #4
Brucey4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanLD View Post
Funnily enough I just had the N/S/F replaced at Findlay's Garage in Jackton last week for my MOT.

Cost was very reasonable and pleased to hear that they did some work to strut top mount bearings unlike previous garage I used to use just outside Newton Mearns.

There is also Volvomax and Voltech (Springboig and Bridgeton respectively).

Findlay's Garage is not far past the police college, so easy enough to get train from Hairmyres (or cycle to and from in my case).
Cheers Ian I stay near volvomax so probably pay them a visit.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 22:29   #5
IanLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainkremin View Post
They always recommend you change coil springs in pairs, but the choice is yours as it upsets the handling, but depends on how you use it, driving miss daisy or chasing the Devil.lol
I know - was the same on my Saab, only one replaced.

I can assure you that it is not miss daisy and both times the front end has felt fine until the other spring eventually went.

We've got a Focus as well as the V50 (OK it is 5 years newer) so I'm pleased to have the V50 back handling much sharper than it was before. Had four wheel alignment done too after getting the spring done and new front tyres.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 15:59   #6
kaptainkremin

Most people wouldn't notice any difference in replacing one coil spring but the new one will always be a bit stiffer than the weaker old one, I would have thought German & Swedish could sort you some springs out or Euro Car Parts just a thought coz everyone goes on about buying genuine volvo parts but I've said in another thread that while visiting a volvo dealer to pick up a rear tailgate spoiler for the v50 looking through the back I could see a pile of Euro Car Part bags with parts in, I know what they look like coz the brother in law works for them, just hope they charged Euro part price's and not Volvo prices, I had a BMW 320d about three years ago and got a pair of heavy duty rear coil springs for £120 only took an hour to fit coz I didn't need spring compressors for the rear unlike the front, just a thought.lol
kaptainkremin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 19:35   #7
ian7675

Funny, I had the same one go on my last service. I had just the one replaced and the car drives fine.
ian7675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 20:24   #8
IanLD

Seems to be accepted practice now to only do one spring, but still do both shocks if one has gone.

I debated this with the garage that did my Saab, but it was proved right then and the V50 feels and corners etc fine with just the one spring done.

Standard springs and bushes, so not trying to make it go kart like, but pleased that it feels much closer to the Focus now.