Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETS Light, NOT ETM though

Views : 2528

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2015, 23:34   #11
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

sounds like it needs some proper diagnostics to me not this half arsed dealer crap, if i were closer i would do it for you but your over 3 hours away.

Going back to the pedal, did you use a new one or second hand??? Mine only ever went into limp mode twice and had no codes or random codes, i replaced mine with a P2 new pedal and never had limp mode again.

Does your car have cruise control? if so does it stay on? or drop out?

I am currently breaking my 2.5T and all these parts are available and all worked perfectly.
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 11:19   #12
MetB4

Smile

Hi,

If your car is an auto, I am 99% sure that the problem will be the brake position sensor.
It is located on the brake servo, on the drivers side behind the bulkhead.

It is held in only using a spring retaining clip and is easy to remove/replace.
When removing, do it very carefully so as not to graze it along the sides of the housing.

It is important that you replace it with exactly the same colour sensor. They can be blue, white or turquoise.

Basically what is happening is that when it fails, the engine has no indication when you are off the gas and/or braking, and so it gets confused about adequate fuel delivery and can cut the engine..happened to me on the motorway and cut out until the engine cooled down.

Replaced the sensor and no problems since.

The sensors are stupidly delicate and flimsy pieces of kit, and it is always worthwhile getting a spare and sticking it in the car just in case...in a rigid container / bubblewrap!

Best of luck

MB4

MetB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 12:24   #13
gfox

Sorry for the late reply. Volvo replaced it with a brand new Pedal which I had to wait a week for as it came from Sweden.

I have a Delphi diagnostics tool and I have the following codes appear:
9180 - Accelerator Pedal Sensor, Intermittent
959F - Electronics Throttle Control, Intermittent
902A - Communication, Throttle, Intermittent
903C - Electronic Throttle Control, intermittent

Its booked back into the dealer next week for further investigation but I'm losing patience with it.

It does have cruise control but I haven't tried it since the fault to be honest as I dare not take it on the motorway.
gfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 12:27   #14
gfox

I drove the car yesterday about 50 miles, no problems at all and I erased the codes before hand. all good.
Parked up for about an hour, came back to the car- it wouldn't start and ETS light back on. three attempts and it started fine on the third but the ETS light remained on until I erased it this morning to take it for MOT.

The light doesn't appear to be affecting how the car drives and hasn't gone into limp mode since replacing the lambda sensor a few months ago.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 09:05   #15
Clogs
Clogs

Default Etm

My ETM light comes on all the time and after four or five starts may go out for a while, only to come back on after a short stop and hot re-start. On holiday in April it was on for 2,000 miles of mostly motorway driving and only went out when I got back home. Being in the wrong gear so the engine stutters under load, stalling the engine when hot and hot restarts causes the light to come on.

I had a new ETM module 1˝ years ago and Volvo Sweden had to log in and had several goes to get the car computer to recognise the new ETM and the engine to run so the light went out. That was 15,000 miles ago and so long as the car doesn’t go into limp mode (which it hasn’t), I just live with it and will have to make sure the light is out when it goes for its MoT. I turn on the ignition and wait for the ETM light to out before starting with the headlight/runniing lights off and that seems to help.

You may say get the codes read... tried that and the light went out by itself by the time it got to the garage for testing and “no fault found”. A Volvo expert says it could be a loose connection somewhere... which may well be true as last time the car actually had the engine spluttering, it was the wire connected to the turbo boost sensor which had somehow become so thin at the end of the plug that it almost came away. After 140,000 miles and 15 years on, it had shaken itself free.

So the answer is, if the ETM light just keeps coming on and going off again without any impact on performance – either find the fault and pay out some money or leave until the next service, when it will probably be out with no fault found on the code!
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 15:21   #16
gfox

I hate it when a forum thread doesn't end with a conclusion... so here it is. The car is fixed... finally *touch wood!

So the car was booked back into the dealers for investigation into the wiring and other systems it came back that the ETM they fitted in October last year is faulty (the irony of the heading of this thread!)

So after the best part of a year and endless trips, bills and inconveniences the car is without a warning light for the first time! ive never been so happy to have it fixed but quite disappointed in a) it taking so long to diagnose correctly, and b) just being handed the key saying its fixed with no apology or offers of compensation for the bills ive paid them over the last 11 months.
I brought it up and its been passed to the service manager who should be calling me this week about it. ill keep you posted- I'm sure most would have given up long ago, I'm glad I didn't but it did come close to selling the car for spares out of desperation.
The Following User Says Thank You to gfox For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 00:45   #17
syahizad

sorry for opening this old thread. just searching through the from looking for solution.

my car V70 2.4 year 2000
ETS light on and off randomly. and the will be in limb mode if the light come out. Have to restart the engine if you are lucky. or just keep press the pedal for a few minutes until the engine respond and again if you are lucky.

anyone got any ideas?

ETM test with vida ... still good
Throttle Pedal : already change (3-4 units)
brake pedal sensor - already change still no different
syahizad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 19:14   #18
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi syahizad

Does your car have a manual or auto gearbox?
Do you have a code reader?

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 08:56   #19
syahizad

its auto gearbox. ya i do have code reader.

its show throttle paddle ..
syahizad is offline   Reply With Quote