Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

iPod integration

Views : 799

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2019, 20:48   #1
osbourne one-nil

Default iPod integration

Since getting my V90 eighteen months ago, I've been patiently trying to get my Android phone to do what my old iPod did. Yes, it can play audible books and it can play podcasts and it can play BBC Sounds, but it's all so awkward as it has to be controlled through the handset..and unless I disable notifications before I set off, whatever I listen to is interrupted endlessly by emails/messages etc. So I've decided to give up and get another iPod.

My question is....if I was to get an iPad (rather than an iPod), would that still allow me to use the iPod integration in the car? There would be justifiable benefits of me getting an iPad, but only if it allowed me to use it just like an iPod.

Am I making any sense? Does anyone know? Does anyone care?!
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 18:50   #2
Duri13

I can try this for you tomorrow but since it works with iphone (ipod integration), I don’t see a reason why it should not. It is the same software and hardware after all...

But keep in mind that ipad in the cabin is far more dangerous in case of accident than ipod.
past: XC60 D4 FWD AT (MY 2015)
Duri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 08:09   #3
osbourne one-nil

Thanks - I actually bought an ipod yesterday as I knew it would work, and it's so tiny it just sits in the central console cubby hole without taking up any space. It still annoys me that when buying a £45k car, Volvo wanted me to pay £300 extra for Android Auto but even if that had been included, I don't think it would work as well as the ipod does.
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 21:22   #4
Duri13

I confirm ipad works there nicely (ipod integration). Tested with ipad mini (2015).
You can browse artists, albums, songs, playlists, etc., even podcasts. I think it is the same on ipod and iphone, as I thought. So if you are interested only in music/podcasts, there is no need to pay for apple carplay. How it is with android, I do not know. And if it does not work nicely with android phones, I do not know whether to blaim volvo or phone manufactures (or google).

Regarding the endless/pointless discussion "why I have to pay 300 for smartphone integration when I already paid 45k for a car", it is simple. The car consists of MANY such small items. When put together, you get a price of your car. They could have added smartphone integration there as standard but you car would cost 45300. Would you be happier? Nothing in the car is for free, you pay for everything included there. Just like I had to pay 200 for fog lights and the price tag on my car was 80k. Would I be happier if it was there as standard? Maybe (irrationally) but the car would cost 80200. At the end of the day, it does not matter. I personally prefer to have the basic price as low as possible and have an option to choose only those items that I like.
past: XC60 D4 FWD AT (MY 2015)
Duri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 21:40   #5
Moonlanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duri13 View Post
I confirm ipad works there nicely (ipod integration). Tested with ipad mini (2015).
You can browse artists, albums, songs, playlists, etc., even podcasts. I think it is the same on ipod and iphone, as I thought. So if you are interested only in music/podcasts, there is no need to pay for apple carplay. How it is with android, I do not know. And if it does not work nicely with android phones, I do not know whether to blaim volvo or phone manufactures (or google).

Regarding the endless/pointless discussion "why I have to pay 300 for smartphone integration when I already paid 45k for a car", it is simple. The car consists of MANY such small items. When put together, you get a price of your car. They could have added smartphone integration there as standard but you car would cost 45300. Would you be happier? Nothing in the car is for free, you pay for everything included there. Just like I had to pay 200 for fog lights and the price tag on my car was 80k. Would I be happier if it was there as standard? Maybe (irrationally) but the car would cost 80200. At the end of the day, it does not matter. I personally prefer to have the basic price as low as possible and have an option to choose only those items that I like.
Side stepping into the question of front fog lights, does anyone know why they are not available as an option on the T8? Thanks.
Moonlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 00:25   #6
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlanders View Post
Side stepping into the question of front fog lights, does anyone know why they are not available as an option on the T8? Thanks.
Sure I read in the dim and distant past that the reason was there is an air-intake where one of the fogs would fit. Could well be wrong though.
Old Dec 22nd, 2019, 12:46   #7
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlanders View Post
It's to allow additional cooling for the electrical system.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post: