Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Japanese imports

Views : 1878

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2019, 17:27   #1
tonyldee

Default Japanese imports

Hi Guys. Has anyone thoughts or experience of buying vehicles designed for the Japanese market and then used models subsequently imported into the UK. I have my eye on a special edition V70 that looks and sounds the "bees knees" but requires a little localised paint job. Speedo in kilometers and the satnav the same. Right hand drive and immaculate inside. Any one know of any drawbacks?
tonyldee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 20:53   #2
Dippydog
Premier Member

Japanese market cars tend to have different equipment levels to UK market cars-whether this is a good or bad point is a matter of opinion,at least they have the steering wheel on the proper side.There is no real way of checking any history either service wise nor for accident damage.Many MX-5s on British roads are in fact the Japanese market Eunos an example of which a friend of mine once bought.mechanically it was sound and bodily it looked well until he decided to have it repainted when he found it was a very well disguised wreck!This may have been an isolated case,but shows that you need to check things very carefully indeed.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 00:27   #3
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Most early Eunos models have tin worm somewhere.

As to Japanese imports in general, you can reduce the risk by buying from a reputable dealer/importer who has contacts over there to check out the cars. It can be a bit pricier but at least the paperwork will all be done and the car will be set up to meet UK regs. KPH to MPH should also be included.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 08:34   #4
Clogs
Clogs

Default Japanese second hand imports are usually MoT failures

Japan has rigorous testing of vehicles so most don't last more than 10-15 years before being effectively written off as unroadworthy.

Some enterprising folk will export the least worst of these to countries with right hand drives, like Australia, New Zealand, and even as far as the UK.

It costs a fair bit to ship a car half away across the world, but they were bought at scrap value. A serious examination is needed before buying.
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 13:11   #5
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogs View Post
Japan has rigorous testing of vehicles so most don't last more than 10-15 years before being effectively written off as unroadworthy.

Some enterprising folk will export the least worst of these to countries with right hand drives, like Australia, New Zealand, and even as far as the UK.

It costs a fair bit to ship a car half away across the world, but they were bought at scrap value. A serious examination is needed before buying.
Not sure I agree with you. There are probably more people who select the best available to export. There are a whole bunch of low mileage cars in outstanding condition that have been and continue to be imported from Japan into the U.K. The last time I looked there’s a guy who imports P2 XC70’s, all in great condition, highly spec’d, low mileage cars at top money.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 14:28   #6
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
Most early Eunos models have tin worm somewhere.
I had my son's 74K mile '92 grey import 1.6 manual Eunos, which sits on our drive, waxoiled last year - it had NO rust anywhere - so figured it was worth doing to preserve it if at all possible. He lives on a farm in deepest Cornwall, the Eunos won't go down the rutted track without damaging the exhaust.....such a shame, as I have to drive it a couple of times a month to stop it seizing up .

It is the only car I know that gets an oil & filter change very 250 miles!

Still no rust - but there again the paint is the only 2 coats thick with no lacquer coat.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 15:25   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Not sure how things stack up now but in the mid 1990's when "grey imports" where common there was quite a bit of debate about whether there was any differences at all, and why values should be impacted.

I know from experience that the Japanese market MX-5's (Eunos Roadster) had little to no chassis rustproofing which meant they very quickly deteriorated if used in the UK through the winter - same also true for Mitsubishi Pajero (Shogun in the UK) and similar 4x4 models. On some early Mazda models, there were structural differences too including door impact beams.

I was working for a motor company at the time and we had Mazda, Mitsubishi and Nissan franchises as well as some European ones so I've seen these differences personally.

Now - how that translates to Volvo I'm not sure, whilst Japanese manufacturers had to fit extra parts and processes for UK spec cars (including fog lights), I think it less likely that Volvo would significantly downgrade their cars for other markets.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 19:46   #8
Goupil

Weren't the japanese V70s available with electric foldable mirrors ?

I've seen a few R from Japan for sale in the UK so it's definitely been done before
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 19:57   #9
BorderVolvo

20 years ago, I worked for a garage which solely imported cars from Japan. Ages of vehicle ranged from 4 years to 10 years. Even the 10 year old cars were absolutely mint underneath but the boss did pride himself in buying only the best cars. Unless wax-oiled or sealed in some way I doubt the cars I saw would stand the test of time! All were Mazda, Nissan, Toyota.

I understand that accident damaged cars might not be fixed as well as here though?
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 21:22   #10
skippyfox
VOC Member

Over the years I've had 3 Japanese imports. 2 Mitsubishi Delicas, which are basically a people carrier on the L200 pick up 4x4 chassis. And a Nissan Z300, bit of a mid-life crisis thing. All where in fantastic condition mechanically and bodywork, but all lacked underseal which on UK roads is a must, especially round my neck of the woods where the gritters throw enough salt and grit down in winter to put a Siberian salt mine to shame. Another thing I discovered, all Japanese imports usually have a speed limiter. 180kph in Japan the limiter kicks in. This I found out at a track day with the Nissan when it refused to go beyond 112mph bit embarrassing to say the least. If you choose to go down the import route go through a good importer, doing yourself can be a headache. Happy hunting.
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote