Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Getting fed up with my volvo already

Views : 817

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 18:58   #1
loftlex

Default Getting fed up with my volvo already

Someones is weeing on my Chips

I got a P reg 440CD for £250, and altho i thought at the time i got a bargin, i am begining to feel like i have been well ripped off

its metalic Blue and the inerior is in good nick, leather seats, nice tacky wallnut finish etc

alloys in reasonable condition,

A/C and other stuff like the heated seats works

Ive got my alarm problems as i have mentioned on other posts.....

the exteroir is a bit tatty the doors on the drivers side have a nice big deep scratch on it, nothing that touch up wont hide...

I need a new rear light cluster on the passenger side, and a new drivers wing mirror....

when i got the car i took it to a garage and they did a service, they changed the plugs, filters and checked the breaks they charged me £100

found out today that...

the drivers door lock will not work with the key, its knackered....

the passengers door lock takes the key but will not lock the doors...

if i lock the car via the remote central locking the alarm goes off,, (well flashing lights, no horn)......

so i cant lock the car fully...... great.....

found out today that...

the lights behind the centre console do not work, neither do the ones behind the lights control on the right hand side..

and also the clutch feels light,,, the garage said its gonna last about a year tops...

i just swapped my insurance over and bought 6 months road tax

i am a single dad, and i havent got time to be faffing about trying to fix the car at the weekend as i have to spend quality time with my daughter,,,#

i am at my whits end,,, i dont know what to do or where to go now up to now i have spent just over £450 including the road tax and i am getting to the stage where i dont see any light,, advice please lol... and help if your near warrington and you feel like helping a new volvo owner.....

or should i try and sell it or what?
loftlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 19:20   #2
the hoff
440IFIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftlex View Post

I got a P reg 440CD for £250, and altho i thought at the time i got a bargin, i am begining to feel like i have been well ripped off

its metalic Blue and the inerior is in good nick, leather seats, nice tacky wallnut finish etc

alloys in reasonable condition,

A/C and other stuff like the heated seats works

Ive got my alarm problems as i have mentioned on other posts.....

the exteroir is a bit tatty the doors on the drivers side have a nice big deep scratch on it, nothing that touch up wont hide...

I need a new rear light cluster on the passenger side, and a new drivers wing mirror....

when i got the car i took it to a garage and they did a service, they changed the plugs, filters and checked the breaks they charged me £100

found out today that...

the drivers door lock will not work with the key, its knackered....

the passengers door lock takes the key but will not lock the doors...

if i lock the car via the remote central locking the alarm goes off,, (well flashing lights, no horn)......

so i cant lock the car fully...... great.....

found out today that...

the lights behind the centre console do not work, neither do the ones behind the lights control on the right hand side..

and also the clutch feels light,,, the garage said its gonna last about a year tops...

i just swapped my insurance over and bought 6 months road tax

i am a single dad, and i havent got time to be faffing about trying to fix the car at the weekend as i have to spend quality time with my daughter,,,#

i am at my whits end,,, i dont know what to do or where to go now up to now i have spent just over £450 including the road tax and i am getting to the stage where i dont see any light,, advice please lol... and help if your near warrington and you feel like helping a new volvo owner.....

first of all there is always light at end i paid 300 for mine thought bargain so far ive replaced the clutch ive got no reverse gear my bonnet flew up and thats a gonna i need to bottom arms and a drive shaft !!!!! if i lived close i would come up and sort out everything but the clutch do what i do i have three girls and whilst i do silly things like getting trip computer to work and rewiring electric windows i get them to vac the car or clean alloys with a spare tooth brush just wish they could do a gear box lol so in finnishing dont despair give it a couple of months try to do what you can and then sell her on as its the nice blue p reg and got a nice spec (air con etc) im sure you could at least get youre money back good luck and if theres help out there it will be on here pete
the hoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 19:26   #3
Mark480
Loser

£250 is a good price for a CD! If you could dedicate a day to your car I am sure you could get everything sorted. But if you don't have a day to spare then it could drag on for months... The rear light and wing mirror should set you back as little as £10 from a scrappy or £25 on eBay. I had the alarm problem with my 440 but it was intermittent, usually if I unlocked then locked it would work OK. As for the locks I don't think a lock set is much from Volvo which you build up to match your key. If you can fix your alarm you don't really need the lock!

Good luck whatever you decide to do there is plenty of help on here, start a thread with each problem you are having and you will get lots of advice and help!
Mark480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 01:03   #4
shaheed malik

good project car
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 11:43   #5
Volitiveflyer
"Vauxhell Driver"

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftlex View Post

I do understand completely how you are feeling. Sometimes life kicks are just a little too much to bear. I must admit after the day I had yesterday I yelled at my poor husband in temper last night that our "volvo lemon" should be scrapped & that maybe we should lease a new Motability Car instead. My other rant was something along the lines of I should have either married a Garage Boss or a motor mechanic & not a ruddy ex-policeman!

Needless to say I did regret my outburst & hubby was adamant we would not go down that road again! (I have been forgiven this morning)

Apart from the minor niggles i.e. water pump, central locking & duff battery. My 440 is a nice car & once the niggles are sorted all should be well. - I haven't been a member here long but so far my observations are that everyone here on the boards are nice knowledgeable people & I am sure they will all rally round to offer whatever help & support they can.

Fi
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 12:11   #6
caveman
Premier Member

the only thing i can advise about are the console lights, firstly make sure there isnt a dimmer for the lights! some people have turned the dimmer down without knowing it and their dash lights dont work! secondly, the bulbs are easy to replace, so thats not really that bad a problem.
the locks, you should be able to get a replacement set from a scrappy, again not really that hard to replace!
i know its easy for me to write these words, but, if you sold your car you might end up with something worse!
if you get the car working as youd like it, youll have the satisfaction of knowing that you did it!
regards
cavey
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 12:35   #7
the hoff
440IFIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
the only thing i can advise about are the console lights, firstly make sure there isnt a dimmer for the lights! some people have turned the dimmer down without knowing it and their dash lights dont work! secondly, the bulbs are easy to replace, so thats not really that bad a problem.
the locks, you should be able to get a replacement set from a scrappy, again not really that hard to replace!
i know its easy for me to write these words, but, if you sold your car you might end up with something worse!
if you get the car working as youd like it, youll have the satisfaction of knowing that you did it!
regards
cavey
dimma switch ha yes i had that prob finally found it on left side of steering collum casing yes there was light !!!!!!!!!!! oh and after 8 years of vauxhalls let me assure you theres worse out there and and was worse out there till i finally scrapped them lol
the hoff is offline   Reply With Quote