Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heater Controls?

Views : 1633

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 08:21   #1
Alf ista
Premier Member

Default Heater Controls?

Can someone explain to me please how exactly the Amazon heater controls work? I find the manual I have to be a bit unclear on this. Can I control just to screen, just to footwell, just to back seat, mixture of the above, hot, cold, etc? I have a 1970 left hand drive German import so some of the text on the controls is not in English. The fan works fine. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dash1.jpg (160.4 KB, 24 views)
Alf ista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 10:58   #2
biggles24

Default heater control levers

Hello,
LEFT floor. CENTRE screen RIGHT temperature .

Regards,
biggles24
biggles24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:19   #3
222s
Amazoniste

Left is front floor - up is airflow off, down is on.

Middle is screen and rear floor - up is airflow off, down is on.

Right is temperature - up is 'cold' air, down is hot air.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 13:49   #4
the.goodhumorman

Well, that is assuming your control valve isn't frozen solid. Then the far right would be:
up is hot air, down is hot air. Or visa versa.
the.goodhumorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 19:10   #5
Gavin122S

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.goodhumorman View Post
Well, that is assuming your control valve isn't frozen solid. Then the far right would be:
up is hot air, down is hot air. Or visa versa.
Thats how mine currently functions, its one of the jobs nearer the bottom of my list though!

I find that as long as the drivers quarter light window is open, even by a few mm, the windows generally don't mist up too much anyway.
Gavin122S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 20:55   #6
the.goodhumorman

I was reading something about flushing the heater control with something to "uncatch" the valve. I havent seen it in some time, but if I do, I will keep this in mind.
the.goodhumorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 22:12   #7
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Alf ista;

The rear seat floor air is activated at the same time windshield defrost is (reference owners manual), so if you're not getting adequite defrost (this can also be caused by a heater core obstructed by biomass which needs to be cleaned away, or low voltage to the blower moter due to electrical issues which need to be sorted), and you don't have any rear seat passengers who will complain about cold tootsies, then block the rear floor vent outlets with some foam...this will leave more air for the defroster...

PS Often, sluggish cables, from choke, to E-Brake, to heater control, are caused by internal rust and/or lack of lubrication...this is worth checking also

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 00:35   #8
Alf ista
Premier Member

Thanks a million lads for the excellent tips. Really I just needed to know what the levers did. As far as I am aware it works perfectly, I think the last owner replaced the control valve. I havent been able to drive it as much as I would have hoped over the last few weeks as I am still waiting to replace the water pump and I dont want to drive it too far until this job is done. I have been busy decking out my garage attic trying to create more storage space. Once done, I will tackle the water pump.
Another question, am I right in thinking that the heater control should be set to on when draining the water from the system, in order to prevent an air lock or something? If so, then this thread is very timely!
Alf ista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 01:12   #9
biggles24

Default heater controls

Hello,
I always open the control levers, all three because if it does no good it does no harm!It still doesn t guarantee no air lock for me.Ifind filling slowly helps too.
HTH.
biggles24
biggles24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 09:22   #10
222s
Amazoniste

You'll probably get an airlock anyway as the heater pipes etc run above the height of the engine. Easy to clear it though - if your car is the later type with the expansion bottle, left it off its mountings and find something to hold it higher up, so that it's entirely above the radiator. Then with the cap off, and the engine running, squeeze the top hose but take great care to keep clear of the fan....!!! (I normally just use the palm of my hand to press down hard on the top of the hose)

This will 'burp' the system - you'll probably have to squeeze the hose quite a few times, and keep an eye on the coolant in the expansion bottle as the level will probably drop quite quickly!

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote