Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lowest revs

Views : 1139

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2010, 18:49   #1
wilbydoughboy

Default Lowest revs

I have recently purchased the 2.4 drive version of the xc60 and it is my first proper turbo diesel powered vehicle. I was looking for some advice as to how low to keep the revs in the higher gears. The car seems to be slightly less smooth if I keep in the higher gears at speeds of 40mph although the engine still seems to pull ok. I feel that I dont need 6th gear unless I am doing over 50 or so and sometimes the car feels more comfortable in 4th around 40mph.
wilbydoughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 00:32   #2
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

I run mine in 5th gear at 30 and 6th over 35... runs just fine like that if you're pootling.

With a turbo diesel you'll just lack grunt lower down off the boost - you can always drop a cog or two if you need some acceleration ?

Turbo diesels can have a bit more vibration but the dual mass flywheel should take care of that.
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 14:53   #3
Daleman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbydoughboy View Post
I have recently purchased the 2.4 drive version of the xc60 and it is my first proper turbo diesel powered vehicle. I was looking for some advice as to how low to keep the revs in the higher gears. The car seems to be slightly less smooth if I keep in the higher gears at speeds of 40mph although the engine still seems to pull ok. I feel that I dont need 6th gear unless I am doing over 50 or so and sometimes the car feels more comfortable in 4th around 40mph.

I wondered about this phenomenon when I test drove the DrivE 2.4 manual insofar as I wondered if I would end up running round in fifth gear all the time because sixth seemed very high.

Most of my driving is done on A class roads up the dales where 50 mph is the norm as you invariably get stuck behind someone in a tractor.

I wonder if the automatic gearbox helps in this direction or does it run around in its fifth gear all the time at 50mph as well?

Maybe some 2.4 auto owners will have a comment on this?
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 18:47   #4
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Mine drops happily into 6th at 50 unless you are pushing it. The new 6 speed auto box is much more responsive then the 5 speed I had in my V70,
Its is much readier to run a higher gear, but also quicker to drop a gear when needed.
I also find it smoother through all gear changes, and of course, it has got rid of the horrible 0.5 second delay when pulling away from a juinction that the V70 had, where the box was programmed to drop into neutral if stationary, with the foot brake on.
6th gear pulls about 35MPH per 1000rpm
The Following User Says Thank You to Alec Dawe For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 19:09   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Dawe View Post
Mine drops happily into 6th at 50 unless you are pushing it. The new 6 speed auto box is much more responsive then the 5 speed I had in my V70,
Its is much readier to run a higher gear, but also quicker to drop a gear when needed.
I also find it smoother through all gear changes, and of course, it has got rid of the horrible 0.5 second delay when pulling away from a juinction that the V70 had, where the box was programmed to drop into neutral if stationary, with the foot brake on.
6th gear pulls about 35MPH per 1000rpm
Alec,

If you are travelling at about 40mph and you 'put your foot down' do yo get an annoying delay before the gearbox kicks down, the engine picks up and you are pinned to the back of your seat?

I find this very frustrating compared to my v70 which reacted instantly when i 'floored it' to overtake something.

Comments from other owners on their experience are most welcome

Iain
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 21:13   #6
XC60nick

There is a delay but it is minimal, it only feels like a delay as you are driving but not doing the work of selecting the correct gear. In a manual you'll be active in this task and hence feel the power is instant but in truth it's took 1sec for you to get the right gear. I feel it's all about learning your car and driving to suit, ie, allowing for any delay in the gearbox. Your passengers will also get a smoother ride and you'll look a better driver...
XC60nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 19:44   #7
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Alec,

If you are travelling at about 40mph and you 'put your foot down' do yo get an annoying delay before the gearbox kicks down, the engine picks up and you are pinned to the back of your seat?

I find this very frustrating compared to my v70 which reacted instantly when i 'floored it' to overtake something.

Comments from other owners on their experience are most welcome

Iain
No, no delay on mine at all; well if there is, at my advanced age, I can't tell, and its certainly much quicker to respond than my V70 ever was.
Mind you, I am still convinced that there was something very odd about my V70's geartronic box, as it had a great aversion to using 3rd gear at all, under any circumstances. (for example, accelerating up as slip road to join a motorway etc, the car would rev hard in 2rd, slip into 3rd for about 3 seconds, then change up again into 4th.
Dealers said this was normal, as the 'software' was judging my driving habits, the car's acceleration, the angle of the road etc etc, but I always though this was bollocks!
Alec