Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"12 months m.o.t."

Views : 763

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 14:38   #1
neanderthal
Master Member

Default "12 months m.o.t."

Had to spend more money than normal on the m.o.t. this year,due to the fact that i put 9x3x2 paving slabs in the car and broke some springs...mmmmm.......mot failure was 3 springs....2 shock absorbers(not a failure but changed them anyway)....1 front track rod end(changed both).....but one was stuck solid so had to get garage to put a new passenger steering rack bar on)......rear brake pads.....drivers seat belt(used a passenger one,thanks gatos)......i followed phil_r guide,and as warned by his guide the 4 bolts that i removed from the rear legs to get the springs off where a nightmare to remove.....i would suggest using a garage if you plan on changing the rear springs on a v40 phase 2.....and then "blow me" the day after the m.o.t the reverse lights stopped working.... checked the fuse,the bulbs.they were fine.so ordered a new switch... Went to undo the 3 gearbox mount bolts where the reverse switch is hidden under the cover,only to find that 2 were missing and one was loose got 3 more bolts from my local volvo(second hand spare ones)...and put them on....then found out, that by wiggling the wiring at the back of the switch the reverse lights worked....so that was a good thing that the switch stopped working.....i am still over the moon though that we now have 12 months m.o.t. can i just say thank you to baldmosher for the offer of the springs.all sorted now....

Last edited by neanderthal; Apr 23rd, 2015 at 14:56.
neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to neanderthal For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 15:43   #2
Cornishv40
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
Had to spend more money than normal on the m.o.t. this year,due to the fact that i put 9x3x2 paving slabs in the car and broke some springs...mmmmm.......mot failure was 3 springs....2 shock absorbers(not a failure but changed them anyway)....1 front track rod end(changed both).....but one was stuck solid so had to get garage to put a new passenger steering rack bar on)......rear brake pads.....drivers seat belt(used a passenger one,thanks gatos)......i followed phil_r guide,and as warned by his guide the 4 bolts that i removed from the rear legs to get the springs off where a nightmare to remove.....i would suggest using a garage if you plan on changing the rear springs on a v40 phase 2.....and then "blow me" the day after the m.o.t the reverse lights stopped working.... checked the fuse,the bulbs.they were fine.so ordered a new switch... Went to undo the 3 gearbox mount bolts where the reverse switch is hidden under the cover,only to find that 2 were missing and one was loose got 3 more bolts from my local volvo(second hand spare ones)...and put them on....then found out, that by wiggling the wiring at the back of the switch the reverse lights worked....so that was a good thing that the switch stopped working.....i am still over the moon though that we now have 12 months m.o.t. can i just say thank you to baldmosher for the offer of the springs.all sorted now....
9 3x2 slabs... no wonder they broke lol.. well done on the mot!

ipse se nihil scire id unum sciat
Cornishv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cornishv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 16:20   #3
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Well done mate
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 17:17   #4
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
can i just say thank you to baldmosher for the offer of the springs.all sorted now....
I am especially confused by this, as I still have them
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 17:21   #5
neanderthal
Master Member

i meant thank you for the offer in the first place lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neanderthal For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 18:07   #6
stephend
Premier Member

Funnily enough, when a spring broke on my V40, it was after driving down from Scotland with half a ton of books in the back...

Well done on getting another year's ticket.
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 20:05   #7
happy diver
Active Member Moment

My kind of load.
Went to a book fair last weekend where they had drilled 3 inch holes
through dozens of books to build artsy people herding bollards.
Very counterintuitive

Got my LIFETIME mot Tuesday, only required for ownership transfer

"Our Girl" Best show ever!

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happy diver For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 15:51   #8
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

I couldn't believe after seeing how low the van was with a full load of books and furniture, and it bouncing over the most savage speed bump ever created at the storage unit, that I didn't break the springs... but they seemed OK!
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote