Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 - Engine System Service Required

Views : 45139

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2015, 09:40   #1
Spike H

Default XC90 - Engine System Service Required

Hi,

First post, so here goes!

I have a 61 plate D5 Exec XC90. With 23,000 miles. First 3 services were carried out at Volvo main dealership.

I recently moved to the IOW and as there is no Volvo dealer went to an independent for its 4th service.

A few days after the service a message came up: Engine System Service Required.

I went back to the garage and the mechanic tried to reset it by pushing in the trip button whilst turning the key. During this time code 042 was displayed. The message reset but kept reappearing on starting the engine.

He went away and came back with a box of tricks that he plugged in under the dash and reset it.

Fast forward 1 week and the same message has reappeared. Probably at the same location as the first time i.e. going up a nearby hill.

Whilst trying to reset using the trip/key trick, code 082 was displayed. Message reappeared on starting the engine.

Did some research and it appears that the oil may have been overfilled and it does look a little high on the dipstick. (Correlates with the hill).

I intend to remove some oil using a syringe kit when it arrives. Questions I have:

a. If it is overfilled oil, will the fault message reset itself after rectifying or does it need to go back to the garage?

b. Where do I find out what the codes mentioned above mean?

Any other information gratefully received. Many thanks.
Spike H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 10:13   #2
rsymes2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike H View Post
Hi,

First post, so here goes!

I have a 61 plate D5 Exec XC90. With 23,000 miles. First 3 services were carried out at Volvo main dealership.

I recently moved to the IOW and as there is no Volvo dealer went to an independent for its 4th service.

A few days after the service a message came up: Engine System Service Required.

I went back to the garage and the mechanic tried to reset it by pushing in the trip button whilst turning the key. During this time code 042 was displayed. The message reset but kept reappearing on starting the engine.

He went away and came back with a box of tricks that he plugged in under the dash and reset it.

Fast forward 1 week and the same message has reappeared. Probably at the same location as the first time i.e. going up a nearby hill.

Whilst trying to reset using the trip/key trick, code 082 was displayed. Message reappeared on starting the engine.

Did some research and it appears that the oil may have been overfilled and it does look a little high on the dipstick. (Correlates with the hill).

I intend to remove some oil using a syringe kit when it arrives. Questions I have:

a. If it is overfilled oil, will the fault message reset itself after rectifying or does it need to go back to the garage?

b. Where do I find out what the codes mentioned above mean?

Any other information gratefully received. Many thanks.
I could be wrong but overfilling with oil may have killed a lambda sensor...

Take it back to the garage, they overfilled it, they potentially caused the issue...
rsymes2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2015, 12:15   #3
Horton

Definitely overfilled with oil!! There is a sensor in the sump which uses sonar to detect the oil level. It's VERY sensitive, and even if you fill the correct 5.7 litres it will often put the EML light on. The level should be set using Vida or something similar and the engine needs to be run to temperature, with the level being set between 70 and 80 percent.
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2015, 14:04   #4
ifzal123

Definitely oil related.

As already said they sensor is very sensitive and you should only fill the oil up 2/3rds on the dip stick.

See thread below

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=127474
ifzal123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2015, 16:25   #5
Spike H

Thank you for your replies.

I've sucked about 500ml of oil out through the dipstick pipe using a large syringe and small bore plastic tubing.

The oil level is now roughly what it should be according to the tally. (Photo attached).

Does anybody have any idea how to remove the 'Engine System Service' message?

I've tried to remove it doing the trip/key method to no avail. The first time it was reset (before oil removed) the mechanic had to use a device plugged in under the dash.

Could be a trip back to the indie dealer if all else fails.

Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0947.jpg (249.6 KB, 188 views)
Old Nov 1st, 2015, 17:41   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Most error message disappear on their own once the fault is fixed and the system has checked itself a few times so taking the car for a drive and patience usually works.

Of course it's always preferable to know exactly what the code was rather than guessing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2015, 10:43   #7
Keith T

Default XC90 Engine Systen Service Required

First post - just joined.

56 plate D5 80,000 miles. 100 miles after service. Engine etc warning message.

2 faults
6665 glow plug relay control faulty signal
5660 oil level sensor faulty signal

Both cleared by local garage for £20 inc VAT.

I was expecting the swirl valve cable fault (as in another Engine System Service Required three (that I could not find this morning - apologies). But the cable was fine.
Keith T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2015, 11:46   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post
First post - just joined.

56 plate D5 80,000 miles. 100 miles after service. Engine etc warning message.

2 faults
6665 glow plug relay control faulty signal
5660 oil level sensor faulty signal

Both cleared by local garage for £20 inc VAT.
That's not how code clearing works.
If the problem isn't fixed, the codes and warning will return.
Old Nov 27th, 2015, 09:43   #9
Spike H

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Most error message disappear on their own once the fault is fixed and the system has checked itself a few times so taking the car for a drive and patience usually works.

Of course it's always preferable to know exactly what the code was rather than guessing.
After much research I'm fairly certain the cause of the 'Engine System Service Required' message has been resolved i.e. oil overfill by the Indie garage.

However, the message remains, although admittedly I haven't driven the car that much.

I just need a cheapie reader to clear the message, I'm not interested at this stage in the more expensive readers.

Any recommends please? Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 27th, 2015, 11:28   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike H View Post
However, the message remains, although admittedly I haven't driven the car that much.
Drive it some more then.
The message will go on its own if oil was the problem and you've resolved it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post: