Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Warning , S40/V40 4 cylinder petrol owners.

Views : 258109

Replies : 195

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2012, 18:24   #111
acefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastianfl View Post
Hi guys,can anyone tell coolant reservoirme how i can remove this clamp?? I think my coolant reservoier is leaking and its cracked and i need to remove this type of clamp,after getting them off should i replace them with the original or should i get some jubi clamps .....thanks guysAttachment 43793
It looks like the type that you have to prise or push open. I wouldn't worry about damaging it. Just fit a good quality jubilee clip when you you reassemble the system.

Adam
acefactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 13:36   #112
skyship007
Premier Member

Exclamation Applies to diesels versions.

As far as I can tell the radiator lower hose and clip are very similar on the 1.9D to the petrol versions. My 9 year old V40 1.9D is in fairly good condition but I checked the lower clip and it is indeed rusty, so because I have no idea when the coolant was last changed by the previous owner, I am going to have it changed and the clip replaced. I have also ordered a lower hose, although it looks in good condition.
A diesel at a high power setting overheats very quickly and is in fact more likely to be damaged than a petrol engine with the same loss of coolant problem. Some drivers miss the overheat warning light and that can be the end of a good engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 forty View Post
so i gather this is not applicable to the diesel s40.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 16:33   #113
S40sportlux
S40sportlux

Thank you, When i can get under the bonnet (although ive been trying for about 4 hours)... i wil be doing so!!
S40sportlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 18:41   #114
oldnavy2902

Default Engine down, need to replace

Thanks ever so much for the information below, unfortunetly I blew an engine from what was discribed below. Yes, I was on the motor way and did not stop in time before loss of compression with black smoke.
Now I am shopping for an economical priced engine if there is such a thing. I'm willing to use an R&R, or if need be a Recon.
Please advise of best buy location with warrantee.

Indebted...........v/r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
In the last 6 weeks i have seen 2 engines wrecked by the lower radiator hose leaking coolant .
The cause is the hose clip around the lower radiator hose on the radiator end , the clip goes rusty and breaks , the pressure in the system ( 20 + psi ) will then blow the hose off and your coolant is gone in a matter of a couple of seconds . If this happens on the motorway which is more likely due to the higher rpm and hence pressure , you barely have time to pull over and stop before any damage occurs .
I would advise anybody with a S/V40 4 cylinder petrol engine to check their lower radiator hose clips / Best fit a new one anyway , a better quality stainless steel one as fitted as standard on the Swedish cars .... get a top hose clip for say a S60 T5 or something ...

This is not only applicable to older 1997 cars but ALL of them , one of the cars i saw was a 2003 .....
So it seems we have a nasty problem developing here
Check those hose clips .......
oldnavy2902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 18:52   #115
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnavy2902 View Post
Thanks ever so much for the information below, unfortunetly I blew an engine from what was discribed below. Yes, I was on the motor way and did not stop in time before loss of compression with black smoke.
Now I am shopping for an economical priced engine if there is such a thing. I'm willing to use an R&R, or if need be a Recon.
Please advise of best buy location with warrantee.

Indebted...........v/r
oops , you should be able to find an engine for £200 -£ 300 if not from a kind member on here . Good Luck
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 12:30   #116
jasedarace
JaseDaRace

Had to dremel mine off, it was as rusty as hell...
Now sporting a brand new jubilee clip that'll last longer than the rest of the car, probably ;-)
jasedarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 18:28   #117
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedarace View Post
Had to dremel mine off, it was as rusty as hell...
Now sporting a brand new jubilee clip that'll last longer than the rest of the car, probably ;-)
ohhh i doubt it !
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 09:02   #118
djx11b

Done mine last night easier from underneath on my car as I have induction hoses in the way from the top. The screw on the hose clip decided to snap clean of so after a lot of bending, hammering and swearing I broke it off and replaced with a nice new shiny clip from volvo
djx11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 10:40   #119
Davie mac

hi guys,my hose clips badly corroded also,ive been looking at a stainless steel one on ebay 30mm-50mm,would this be the correct size?
Davie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 19:23   #120
ThePina

Changed mine yesterday for a nice stainless steel one. The old one had already rusted off and the hose was barely held in place... Thanks for the heads up.
ThePina is offline   Reply With Quote