Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 598923

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 12:18   #2301
Stuby

Default Do you reckon Ben's surname is Dover-Backwards?

Do you reckon Ben's surname is Dover-Backwards?

Well he has so could be.
Stuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 18:09   #2302
Lojzek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuby View Post
Good morning Stuart,

I have some good news! After going back to Volvo with a further request to them for goodwill on the EGR cooler, they have come back with 100% contribution! I’m glad we have finally got there! Please let me know when you would like to book in to get this sorted. I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks

Ben
Apprentice Aftersales Advisor
Volvo Cars Shrewsbury

Well Done Shrewsbury Volvo

Car is January 2014 V60 D4 Business
That is great news.
You obviously have a good Volvo dealer. Did he contact a Volvo UK and they decided to give you a new egr cooler, they contributed? Or do you think that is a Volvo headquarters (Sweden) who makes that decision?

My car is October 2014 V60 D4 and did not get new cooler. Do you think there is a difference depending of the market? I dont know, should i write to Volvo?
Lojzek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 20:09   #2303
Stuby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojzek View Post
That is great news.
You obviously have a good Volvo dealer. Did he contact a Volvo UK and they decided to give you a new egr cooler, they contributed? Or do you think that is a Volvo headquarters (Sweden) who makes that decision?

My car is October 2014 V60 D4 and did not get new cooler. Do you think there is a difference depending of the market? I dont know, should i write to Volvo?
I think it was down to the Volvo Dealer. But I did hammer Volvo uk customer relations with links to this thread, also the EU document and anything else I could find off the internet about this problem. ( educate them or harass, depends how you look at it)
I don’t know if a Volvo customer relations exists in Slovenia but if I were you I’d do the same if it did. If not no harm going straight to the top Sweden or China find the CEO’s email even.
I personally don’t think there should be a market difference BUT who knows what rules apply for which countries.

Hope you can sort it.

Again, think I owe Shrewsbury Volvo a great big pat on the back.
Stuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 22:42   #2304
V60D4

Evening all, new member here to join the list of EGR issue sufferers with a 65 plate V60 D4 190 @102k.

Just over a week ago, the yellow check engine light came on with no messages or changes in performance. A quick check with a Bluetooth OBD reader revealed error code P04D9(00) "closed loop EGR control, limit reached - low flow detected". Diagnostics performed by Volvo Stockport confirmed a new EGR cooler was required, at a cost to me of only £763!
My service advisor said she would request a goodwill contribution from HQ, but they didn't want to play ball. I emailed Volvo UK Customer Relations, pointing them in the direction of this thread, along with the one on Honest John
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbyca...v60-2010/good/
Customer relations have replied, saying they will contact the dealer.

Fingers crossed this goes well, as I'm almost regretting letting my Honda hearse go and moving over to Volvo.
V60D4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V60D4 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 00:20   #2305
Ian W XC60

A 102K mileage in a 4yr old car suggests the issue is not confined to low mileage, short journey cars such as mine but is much more widespread in the pre-adblue D4 engine.
The Volvo solution for the manifold to the DVSA implicates, yet again, the EGR cooler (4th attempt to fix?) so how they can seek to charge you £750+ is simply taking the pish!!
Mine had the top half rebuild at 4.5yr old on 40K miles with Mr V giving 100% "goodwill" and I can't see their next "solution" will solve the problem another few years down the line.
For that reason, I'm out. My next non-Volvo petrol car should be ready for collection next week.
Someone, earlier in this thread, compared this to the VW emissions scandal and I think it has all the makings of a similar corporate "ass covering" when they are trying to hang owners like yourself out to dry. For a company that makes a virtue of its safety and green credentials they are acting without much virtue, IMHO!
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 17:09   #2306
V60D4

My thoughts exactly, Ian. The EGR cooler is simply not fit for purpose, and it shouldn't come down to owners to have to replace them at great expense with the likeliness that they will fail again in a few months.

If Volvo refuse to offer at least some form of token contribution after following their exceptional goodwill process, I'll consider further options for escalation, likely the motor ombudsman.
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 11:28   #2307
MTBer

I’ve registered this morning so that I can add my experience to this post, as well as say a general thank you for the info in this and other posts on the forum which have been of help over the years. Also, I hope it helps add a bit of weight to V60D4’s case above.

I’ve got a 14 plate S80 with the D4 engine which has developed the same issue, it’s now done just shy of 80k miles. I first knew something was up back in August when for no apparent reason the car went into limp mode, typically right at the start of a three hour journey back from Birmingham! It wasn’t too much of a problem on the motorways, but as soon as I came off them about 20 miles from home I stopped in a layby and turned the engine off for no more then two minutes in an attempt to clear it, it worked and the car was then back to normal for the rest of that journey and for the next couple of weeks.

I’ve got an OBD reader so connected it up and had the following fault codes: ECM-P04D900, closed loop EGR control at limit, and ECM-P010100 mass or volume air flow circuit range/performance.

The next time it happened was a fortnight later and I was able to draw a common link between the two journeys. About 90% of my driving is on motorways or dual carriageways and I nearly always set my cruise at 70, but on these two journeys limp mode came on after it had been set at 75 for no more than five miles. I decided to keep an eye on it and unless it got markedly worse just mention it on the next service to see what the damage might be. Meanwhile, I did a bit of research on the fault codes and found this thread so had an inkling of what the problem might be.

Since then I’ve done about 5k miles and limp mode has come on no more than another four occasions, two of which were round town so not when I was doing 75! I got to my 18k service interval and booked it in the week before last, then literally two days beforehand the engine check light came on! I connected the OBD up to it again and had DIESEL ENG-P04D900, closed loop EGR control at limit in addition to the original two.

I took it to Hildenborough Volvo near Tonbridge in Kent, my usual garage as it’s close to work. They’ve always looked after this car since I got it and also my wife’s V50 and my old S60 before they both got to a high mileage so I have a good relationship with them, they’re on the expensive side but I’ve always had good service there. They confirmed that the EGR cooler needs replacing (“as the first stage of diagnostics”, so covering themselves) and it’s booked back in this coming Wednesday.

The main point of the post was to report that they have done the work with Volvo UK to confirm that they will cover 100% of the cost of the cooler, so as with other posts on this thread Volvo have agreed to this on a car which is well outside of warranty both in terms of age and mileage. It does still have a full Volvo service history which I guess might have formed part of their decision.

Sorry for the long and detailed post, but when I first got the problem I found it useful to know what symptoms others had had so wanted to report mine. I also wanted to say a big thank you to all of you who have posted about this, I felt like it put me in a strong position to be able to go to the garage and say that I know Volvo are still now covering the cost on plenty of other cars which are well out of warranty.

I’ll report back after Wednesday and let you know what has happened, and after I’ve had chance to connect the OBD reader to hopefully confirm all fault codes have gone!
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MTBer For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 20:21   #2308
V60D4

Status update - cars booked in tomorrow. Volvo to cover the cost.
The Following User Says Thank You to V60D4 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 23:18   #2309
Chrisv60

Quote:
Originally Posted by V60D4 View Post
Status update - cars booked in tomorrow. Volvo to cover the cost.
Rather annoying they wanted £760 in the first place though, bearing in mind how well known the issue must be to the dealers now.

I bet a fair number of owners simply pay up and they were hoping you were one of them.
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 10:40   #2310
V60D4

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that were the case. The whole EGR situation seems to have been a complete farce.
Luckily for those of us reading this forum, there is plenty of useful information. Had I not found this thread, it's likely I would have ended up paying.