Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850R issues or am I going mad?

Views : 2116

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2019, 15:14   #1
850Red

Default 850R issues or am I going mad?

I'll try and explain this.

My poor 850R comes from a bad home. Over the years I've spent a fortune repairing bodged repairs and restored it bit by bit using genuine parts. It is a process that is still ongoing, it might never be finished. It has been pulling to the side for years, despite multiple alignments, and the next step is to replace the delta links and bushings as there is no more adjustment on the N/S/R (think someone might have slid into a kerb or something)

To cut a long story short, I also believe the steering wheel has been put on at the incorrect angle. I plan to set the steering rack so both ends are extended the same amount, then I'll remove and refit the steering wheel at the correct angle. I'll then take it in and get a realignment done - When they secure the steering wheel in the straight ahead position the readings may be way off, but they can then adjust the alignment correctly.

Will this make a difference or have I lost the plot? It's hard to know sometimes. Cheers.
850Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 15:38   #2
dingov70
Master Member

Hello there , one thing I would suggest is to speak to a local car repairer & see how much they would charge to put the car onto an alignment jig & confirm it is square / within tolerances .

Once that is confirmed then go for checking everything else is correct , no use levelling a shelf using a bent spirit level .

I did find my first V70 would pull to one side & this was after several wheel alignments had been carried out . In the end my friendly & slightly demented helper set the tracking to parallel i.e. NO toe in or out . ran straight , ran true , ran quiet & no tyre wear
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 15:50   #3
850Red

I've already had the car aligned by the best people in the country. Several times.

They align it with the steering wheel centred though. They dont give a **** if the rack is centred.

Do you see what I mean?
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 17:34   #4
volvo again
Master Member

If the rack isn't centered you will have more turn to full lock on one side, it you get what I mean.
I was taught the correct way to do it is center the steering and use a clamp to hold it in position, then adjust the track rods ensuring they are equal on both sides.
You should have the same amount of steering wheel turns to full lock on both sides.

Have you had it on an alignment jig to check the body is straight?
Quick tip...park on level (must be level) ground, and check height at every corner, wheelarch is the best place...this may throw up any suspension issues
You've obviously ruled out tyres, binding brakes etc ??

Last edited by volvo again; Oct 20th, 2019 at 17:36.
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 17:44   #5
850Red

The steering wheel has been put on at the wrong angle by previous owner, so that method cant possibly work.

The amount of turns left/right wont necessarily determine the position of the rack as the tie rod ends are adjusted in/out on each side accordingly.

I need to get under the car with a tape measure and centre the rack and then remove and refute the steering wheel centred to the new position.

Havent taken it to see if the body is straight. Dunno anywhere that could even do that. We have **** all in Belfast. It's like the dark ages over here.
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 19:50   #6
dingov70
Master Member

Try these for size , sorry i cannot be more informative , as I have never used them , but a quick call may answer your questions

http://www.jwbodyrepairs.co.uk/our-w.../:teeth_smile:

Bringing enlightenment to all

Last edited by dingov70; Oct 20th, 2019 at 19:52.
dingov70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dingov70 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 20:13   #7
850Red

Thanks. I feel everyone has missed the point I was getting at though.

So does anybody know what I'm on about with the steering wheel and steering rack?

I knew it was gonna be hard to explain :/
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 22:39   #8
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Red View Post
Thanks. I feel everyone has missed the point I was getting at though.

So does anybody know what I'm on about with the steering wheel and steering rack?

I knew it was gonna be hard to explain :/
I know exactly what you mean, and yes, your plan makes perfect sense to me, at least you will then have a decent starting point for further tracking/alignment. If you do indeed find that the steering wheel is not in the correct position, after this is sorted and the tracking re-done you may well find that the problem is solved.
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 08:06   #9
turboboy
Master Member

Default Steering Alignment

What Luxobarge says.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 10:38   #10
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I see where you're coming from with the rack/steering wheel idea, and yes if the rack ends are poking out by the same amount then the wheel should be central. I did however have a similar issue many many years ago with a BL Mini. Driving along the wheel was always about 10 degrees out of true and I was about to pull it off and reset it, what I found before that was that the rear subframe was knackered ( a common problem with Minis) which meant that the offside rear wheel was always pointing at the wrong angle and would drag the back of the car sideways. Looking at your comments on Delta links and bushings it may be that there is enough wear or distortion there to throw the back of the car sideways requiring constant steering a the front to keep on the road.
Checking the rack and steering wheel alignment should be fairly quick so not bad to rule it out, (if you start with the wheel at 12 o'clock are there as many turns to full lock one way as the other?), maybe the delta links are the issue, what I think dingo means is to get the body shell checked for the correct alignment by an accident repair shop, wheel alignment will only change the suspension and tracking settings but won't tell you if the foundations you are building on are true.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg

Last edited by DaveNP; Oct 21st, 2019 at 10:40.
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote