Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Service interval

Views : 14238

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2019, 13:35   #21
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
volvo have not published why . It started with the emergency services vehicles who first had the interval changed to 50000 miles, maybe there were a couple of incidents with them ... I have never heard of any problems whatsoever with the belts on these engines , they are much more robust that the old 5 cylinder belts ..
So you reckon I could safely wait until a service AFTER it's done more than 90k to get it replaced, rather than proactively having it done ready for it to reach 90k?

How difficult is it to replace as a DIY? Obviously I'll need to download VIDA for detailed guidance, but are dedicated tools required?
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 14:00   #22
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
So you reckon I could safely wait until a service AFTER it's done more than 90k to get it replaced, rather than proactively having it done ready for it to reach 90k?

How difficult is it to replace as a DIY? Obviously I'll need to download VIDA for detailed guidance, but are dedicated tools required?
As they say 90000 I would get it done at 90000 ... even if it is between services ..
The method is similar to the 5 cylinder D5 except the fuel pump is driven off the cambelt and a round locking pin is needed , The pump is timed to the belt so that the heavy pulses needed to drive the pump do not coincide with the valve opening pulses from the camshafts .. The vida instructions are quite clear

Attached Images
File Type: jpg D4204T5 tool.jpg (20.7 KB, 47 views)
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 14:18   #23
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
As they say 90000 I would get it done at 90000 ... even if it is between services ..
The method is similar to the 5 cylinder D5 except the fuel pump is driven off the cambelt and a round locking pin is needed , The pump is timed to the belt so that the heavy pulses needed to drive the pump do not coincide with the valve opening pulses from the camshafts .. The vida instructions are quite clear

And that special tool is definitely needed and can't be improvised? When I replaced the chains on my Accord the official manual had a list of special tools, but all could be improvised without much trouble (using a masonry drill shaft to make a long 8mm locking drift, for example, which is a bit what that looks like).

I can find that Volvo tool 999 7233 but it's £35 so does eat into the DIY savings for a job I'll only ever do once!
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 15:44   #24
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
And that special tool is definitely needed and can't be improvised? When I replaced the chains on my Accord the official manual had a list of special tools, but all could be improvised without much trouble (using a masonry drill shaft to make a long 8mm locking drift, for example, which is a bit what that looks like).

I can find that Volvo tool 999 7233 but it's £35 so does eat into the DIY savings for a job I'll only ever do once!
well you could find a piece of rod 6 or 8 or 10 mm diameter which ever it is ..
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 18:52   #25
SeaShell

Zebster, that's correct....no belt to replace and extended service periods are just what fleet managers want...good for the balance sheet!
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 20:12   #26
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
And that special tool is definitely needed and can't be improvised?

Or just buy it and sell it on eBay afterwards..... buy for £35 sell for £25 afterwards? Or do some sort of pass it along system
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HDAV For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 11:54   #27
Bloke

For those of us with the 5yr service plan, would this be included?
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 12:03   #28
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke View Post
For those of us with the 5yr service plan, would this be included?
They should have included it by now , it was announced back in the spring ...regarding the cambelt .. I wonder what happens with plans already purchased ...
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 12:27   #29
Bloke

Quote:
They should have included it by now , it was announced back in the spring ...regarding the cambelt .. I wonder what happens with plans already purchased ...
I guess I'll find out in Jan when mines booked in. Would be nice to have an idea beforehand. They SHOULD include it, but I imagine they might not as it wasn't due at that time when the plan was purchased.
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 14:35   #30
Turnwood

For what it’s worth, no issues with my car before the cam belt was changed at the original 144k miles recommended interval.

Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote