Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My V60 - what can I say??

Views : 1011

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2019, 21:07   #1
XCeed

Default My V60 - what can I say??

So I have had my Volvo V60 T5 Momentum Pro Auto for a few weeks now and thought I would set out my early impressions. Straight off, I have to say this car is far and away the best and most advanced car I have ever owned and that includes two XC60s, countless BMs, and various Mercs including an ML and a CD350 Sport.
The new V60 is awesome in every way and I am totally smitten!
First, aesthetics and practicality. It is low-slung yet very comfortable and roomy throughout. Finished in Black with Blonde interior, it is certainly a looker and the cabin is a beautiful place to be (see pic). The central display screen of sat nav and available car functions is huge, modern and dead easy to flick through.
Voice control of sat nav and many other functions makes the driving experience so safe and easy. Top notch!
Performance is brilliant (and I haven’t even tried Dynamic mode). It’s a joy to drive...fast (250 bhp), smooth and quiet. Being a low car, it handles beautifully with little roll in bends, and the petrol engine is well hushed.
The next features and options I go into are by no means exclusive to the V60 but to me they are all new and for those people who say they don’t care for “unnecessary” driving aids, I say think again.
Most impressive is the 360 degree camera. It’s like a drone hovering over the car showing the precise position of the car as, for example, you reverse into a parking space. Front cameras at low speed help you avoid scuffing your alloys on low kerbs etc. Linked with this is the automatic parking for both parallel and perpendicular slots. Switch it on and the car just parks, perfectly, for you! Brilliant!
The second incredible feature is the shadow technology headlights. I have no idea how it does it, but you leave the headlights on full beam and the lights seem have a mind of their own illuminating most of the road ahead without dazzling those in front or oncoming vehicles. I have never yet been flashed.
Then there are the other advanced safety features. Blind spot warnings in wing mirrors, cross traffic alerts, lane keeping assistance. All superb safety features.
Road sign recognition tech alerts me to every speed limit and gives a soft bleep whenever I am exceeding that limit. Exactly what I need!
Icing on the cake is a full length sunroof, heated seats and steering wheel, powered/memory seats, and adaptive cruise control (but I haven’t used it that much as I haven’t done much motorway driving recently).
I also love the small, wafer thin waterproof third key fob which is always in my pocket and just lets me unlock and lock the car at will. The primary key fobs haven’t left the metal-clad kitchen cupboard yet! Small detail but a nice Volvo extra.
But what has really knocked me out is that this V60 seems to be the poor relation of the new Volvo breed (how much discussion of V60s do you read on this forum!?). Yet I paid a tad over 30k for this four month old demonstrator (just under the magic 40k new) which is amazing value compared to similar trendy XC60s, XC40s, et al. All the reviewers seem to love the new V60 too. Volvo should be praising it to the rooftops!!
So if you’re in the market for an XC60 or an XC40 or even a V90 then take a look at the V60 - you might be surprised at what you get for much less money...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DB1BEE14-98D1-45B6-95DC-4B61FA4889C0.jpg (74.1 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by XCeed; May 3rd, 2019 at 21:26.
XCeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCeed For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2019, 21:43   #2
The Thong
VOC Member

I had a V60 D4 Inscription as a courtesy car last year

They a wonderful car to drive, guess what Thongy is having next? It made my V60 CC feel almost agricultural by comparison. I loved the glass roof with sunroof, 8spd Auto was lovely and I totally agree with the 360 degree camera, it be witch craft I tell you. The active limiter is great apart from where you get early warning that a lower speed limits coming up and the car starts braking early, I found that a bit of a pain. All things considered though, I loved it and I’ll probably go for the Cross Country model when my V60 comes up for renewal in three years and five months (not that I’m counting)

TT
Old May 4th, 2019, 20:32   #3
steadvex
Master Member

shadow lights, adaptive cruise and 360 camera are things I want any future car.

a few years ago I would of said all are pointless, but they really are worth it in my eyes!

I have the older V60 so no fancy camera, not even reverse on my one, but the shadow lights are hypnotic, I'm glad to hear they are just as excellent with the LED lights!
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2019, 21:09   #4
XCeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadvex View Post
shadow lights, adaptive cruise and 360 camera are things I want any future car.

a few years ago I would of said all are pointless, but they really are worth it in my eyes!

I have the older V60 so no fancy camera, not even reverse on my one, but the shadow lights are hypnotic, I'm glad to hear they are just as excellent with the LED lights!
The 360 degree camera is just incredible. Hope the photos demonstrate it...
Like you, I would have said previously that such aids were pointless...not saying that now!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2A7083B7-C7BB-44DE-B973-DB5EE1D4ED0C.jpg (84.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 457AE8E5-406A-4A3B-BB1D-99A4D53D141C.jpg (89.6 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 91B8B259-5A47-44AE-960E-BB7891CB552D.jpg (111.1 KB, 65 views)
Old May 4th, 2019, 23:18   #5
GMcL
0's and 1's

How do the shadow lights work for cars at 90 degree T-junctions or Y-junctions where the driver is looking over their shoulder to you on-coming with no headlights for your car to interpret ?

The V60 is a car I would seriously consider when SWMBO and myself can drop down to 1 vehicle. I love my S60 but 'she' can still fill a transit van on a trip anywhere so a V60 with a roofbox would be a reasonable compromise I think.

What fuel consumption are you getting from your T5 ? I know you don't buy a T5 for economy but as someone who runs a Focus RS I think you will still be in a better place than me. My remapped S60 D3 is my econobox.

P.S. I'll buy an SUV when my dog needs a bike.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; May 4th, 2019 at 23:29.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2019, 12:31   #6
XCeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
How do the shadow lights work for cars at 90 degree T-junctions or Y-junctions where the driver is looking over their shoulder to you on-coming with no headlights for your car to interpret ?

The V60 is a car I would seriously consider when SWMBO and myself can drop down to 1 vehicle. I love my S60 but 'she' can still fill a transit van on a trip anywhere so a V60 with a roofbox would be a reasonable compromise I think.

What fuel consumption are you getting from your T5 ? I know you don't buy a T5 for economy but as someone who runs a Focus RS I think you will still be in a better place than me. My remapped S60 D3 is my econobox.

P.S. I'll buy an SUV when my dog needs a bike.
The headlights automatically switch to dip mode in well-lit areas and at low speeds such as at junctions or in car parks. They return to shadow mode as soon as you get back into normal night driving conditions.

Unsurprisingly, economy is not the forte of a car like this, and I get between 27 and 31 in mixed driving, but nearer 40 on a long run. So quite acceptable to me.

Having enjoyed a number of SUV type cars, I don’t share your aversion to them (!), as they are so practical but I have found the V60 a joy to drive and overall interior space is actually quite comparable.
Old May 5th, 2019, 17:25   #7
GMcL
0's and 1's

As much as 40mpg is a surprise for that engine. In the 12,000 miles I've covered in the Focus I get 21 to 25, I think I've seen as much as 26 but that's yer lot.

We looked at small/medium CR-V, Sportage type SUVs back in late 2014/early 2015 when looking for a car for my wife. They all offered not much interior space for the external dimensions which put me off the type. They may have improved and, as the majority of manufacturers move over to that style vehicle, we may not have much choice in the future.

It's great when you have a vehicle which ticks all your boxes which you look forward to driving. Enjoy your T5.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post: