Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Supermarket fuel

Views : 4144

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2019, 09:46   #21
green van man
Premier Member

Volvo will tell you do not use additives.

There days engines are electronically controlled to meet set parameters, these settings assume a given standard of fuel is being inputted into the engine. Within this standard the electronics can cope and results will be within the norms, exceed those standards and the electronics will default to set standard and it will make no or little dinference to the outcome..
Go below those set standards and and the electronics will try to compensate as best they can, putting more fuel in to get the readings they expect to see.
Disregard those standards and run veg oil and you are in to making adjustments for the system to work.

My landrover will happily run on veg oil, at least untill it eats the pump seals, it will not however produce 195 bhp and 460 Nm of torque and will certainly not tow the wall of a caravan into a stiff head wind and still hold 60mph, for that I need the volvo and pump diesel.
As to which pump it's down to the driver and what's available, they will all work. I suggest it's the manner of driving rather than the fuel burned has the biggest effect.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2019, 12:23   #22
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
As to which pump it's down to the driver and what's available, they will all work. I suggest it's the manner of driving rather than the fuel burned has the biggest effect.

Paul.
That's why we did the test on the other forum i'm on. Many different driving styles and journeys but only one car type/engine/trans. THe one or two that bucked the trend on that would probably have a driving style where they wouldn't get good economy from anything, we all know drivers like that, keep jabbing the throttle every few seconds, keep dabbing the brakes and so on.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2019, 14:44   #23
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Long long ago.

I can remember the days when an attendant put the fuel in. Customers were not permitted to use the pumps. Often with dad in his Morris series E 5cwt van. About 1963 I owned an Ariel Arrow motor cycle. 250cc two stroke which required a shot of two stroke oil with each gallon of petrol. I relied on having the required shots of oil put in by the pump attendant before he put the petrol in. The device used was a portable cylinder containing the oil with a pipe and a plunger. The pipe was inserted at the tank filler and the plunger fully depressed to deliver the required measure of oil. Unfortunately it was not possible to see the oil actually being delivered and one relied on the honesty of the filling station that the oil in the container was the correct oil. I learned my lesson the hard way. Whilst riding back to Tyneside from T.A. camp in West Sussex I needed to refuel on the A1 somewhere in Lincolnshire. The normal procedure was followed. Fifty miles further on the engine seized. Eventually got home with the bike the following day after spending a night at a 24hr. cafe and begging a lift north (with the bike) in a furniture van. Local bike repairer stripped engine and found big end bearings shot. To this day I blame that filling station in Lincolnshire, but of course it was impossible to prove. Once bike was repaired I carried pre-measured bottles of two stroke oil which I put into the tank myself as required.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2019, 15:01   #24
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
I can remember the days when an attendant put the fuel in. Customers were not permitted to use the pumps. Often with dad in his Morris series E 5cwt van. About 1963 I owned an Ariel Arrow motor cycle. 250cc two stroke which required a shot of two stroke oil with each gallon of petrol. I relied on having the required shots of oil put in by the pump attendant before he put the petrol in. The device used was a portable cylinder containing the oil with a pipe and a plunger. The pipe was inserted at the tank filler and the plunger fully depressed to deliver the required measure of oil. Unfortunately it was not possible to see the oil actually being delivered and one relied on the honesty of the filling station that the oil in the container was the correct oil. I learned my lesson the hard way. Whilst riding back to Tyneside from T.A. camp in West Sussex I needed to refuel on the A1 somewhere in Lincolnshire. The normal procedure was followed. Fifty miles further on the engine seized. Eventually got home with the bike the following day after spending a night at a 24hr. cafe and begging a lift north (with the bike) in a furniture van. Local bike repairer stripped engine and found big end bearings shot. To this day I blame that filling station in Lincolnshire, but of course it was impossible to prove. Once bike was repaired I carried pre-measured bottles of two stroke oil which I put into the tank myself as required.
I suspect your experience was one of many Ian and started the self-service revolution. Also that there was a fair chance the 2-stroke dispenser was in fact empty. Even if it had engine oil instead of 2-stroke oil it would have afforded some protection, more than 50 miles worth at least.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2019, 16:17   #25
BUDFORCE

I use that Tesco petrol, been using in my mitsubishi lancer until the brakes failed, and it had 110k odd miles no issues.

I use it on my motorcycle which only has 35k but is a good 16 years old, again no issues.

Both are/were petrol though so cannot comment on Deisel.
BUDFORCE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BUDFORCE For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2019, 17:40   #26
mopedmick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDFORCE View Post
I use that Tesco petrol, been using in my mitsubishi lancer until the brakes failed, and it had 110k odd miles no issues.

I use it on my motorcycle which only has 35k but is a good 16 years old, again no issues.

Both are/were petrol though so cannot comment on Deisel.
That'll why the brakes failed, supermarket fuel gets blamed for everything......
mopedmick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mopedmick For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2019, 03:27   #27
volvocat

Our village garage still has attended pump service.
You drive over the flexible sensor-hose thingy on the forecourt which rings a bell in the office and someone comes out.
Wonderfully old-school - same can’t be said about the prices, though!
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvocat For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2019, 08:37   #28
Ian21401
Premier Member

I’d forgotten about that tube across the forecourt and that bell ringing. In the days when I was using petrol stations with attendants I recall that petrol seemed very expensive then as a proportion of my then wage. I remember one budget day in the 60’s. I think I was in my late teens with the Ariel Arrow. Whilst at work heard that petrol duty was to be increased by six pence per gallon from midnight that night. (. That’s 6d. old currency, 2 1/2 pence using today’s currency.) ( and a gallon, that’s 4 1/2 litres ) There were queues of cars at the petrol stations to fill up before the price rise.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2019, 09:45   #29
Whyman
Premier Member

I used to own a small garage in a village with a bell and attended service- usually me.

Frustratingly we were buying fuel in bulk but only 2000 litres at a time. Too small for the big petrol companies.

At the same time the wholesaler who we were buying from a was operating a number of sites in the nearest town selling the same petrol at 2p per litre cheaper than we were buying for from them. Sales were very slow.

Surprise surprise the garage is no longer there
Old May 27th, 2019, 10:09   #30
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post

At the same time the wholesaler who we were buying from a was operating a number of sites in the nearest town selling the same petrol at 2p per litre cheaper than we were buying for from them. Sales were very slow.

Surprise surprise the garage is no longer there
Talk about biting the hand that feeds you! That wholesaler had a very short-sighted attitude, the villagers presumably only used your garage either as an emergency filling point or out of long-standing loyalty. However, if the wholesaler had given you the same deals as the nearby town sites got, first you'd probably still be operating the garage and second, the wholesaler would probably have made even more money.

The reason i say that is because i'm fairly certain, just from life experience, that many people who lived in that village would work in a different location to the nearest town. Doubtless there would be filling stations on their route to work or in the town they did work in meaning they would get their fuel there but if yours had been on a level with that of the local town, chances are more villagers would have used your garage.

Net result is improved fuel sales for you which in turn would have meant more fuel sales for your wholesaler.

On a side-note, the sensor-hose/bell arrangement - i've always been under the impression that it ran by pressurising the hose at a light pressure and a vehicle driving over it would cause a momentary spike in pressure, operating a pressure switch that rang the bell - is that correct?

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: