Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Glove Box Bulb/Light Problems :(

Views : 1845

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2013, 11:20   #1
VolvoV4O

Unhappy Glove Box Bulb/Light Problems :(

Hello,

I just joined here last night so hello and all that, I've got a 2001 V40 2.0 Auto in Silver and with 69,000 miles on the clock, I love my Volvo. Anyway I've been searching but can't seem to find any previous posts regarding the problem I'm having with the glove box light, the bulb went and I changed it, lovely I thought, but when it comes to putting it back in there is a 'C' shaped plastic thing behind it that keeps falling into the back of the dash, it is a pain to get out!!! Anyone have any problems with this and/or know how do stop this happening?

Many thanks
VolvoV4O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2019, 18:34   #2
DrFirestone

Hi!

Can you please let me know how to get that damned C shaped insert part out of my dash? I replaced the lightbulb and it fell inside! :-(

Thanks for your reply.
DrFirestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 15:40   #3
clarkey1984
Premier Member

The trim that goes up the side from the floor up to the dash near the transmission tunnel (for want of a better word) either unclips or unscrews, you'll find it laying down there I'd imagine, I've dropped a festoon bulb inside the dash about 10 times because butterfingers haha
Old May 28th, 2019, 17:48   #4
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

Glovebox light flattens the battery if like me your glovebox is full and sometimes doesn't click home both sides. Solution, take bulb out, allow other bits to fall down inside the dash trim as is their wont.

Push starting my V40 seemed to be the start of migraine problems which have never fully abated. So save your braincells and chuck the bulb in the bin (or save it for one of the more useful lights)!
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 12:32   #5
bigwheels

I find that its better to fit led bulbs in all interior fittings they use less power and battery doesn't drain as quickly. They do draw a current though even when everything is off you can see them slightly lit up in the dark but they don't flatten battery or set the alarm off.
bigwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2022, 15:51   #6
VeeForty
Old Member

Default Glovebox LED fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheels View Post
I find that its better to fit led bulbs in all interior fittings they use less power and battery doesn't drain as quickly. They do draw a current though even when everything is off you can see them slightly lit up in the dark but they don't flatten battery or set the alarm off.
Hi, I have a 2006 S40 and was wondering if it is the same fitment as yours because I cannot get to it to replace the bulb. My light is upside down inside the glovebox and short of squeezing my whole head inside the glovebox to see I cannot figure out how to remove the bulb, more importantly what type of bulb it is as I cannot see it, feels like a wedge base but how to remove it and replace with an LED, tried some small pin nosed modelling pliers but don't want to smash the bulb. I cannot get to the other side of it either. Was hoping removing the whole glovebox would not be necessary.
VeeForty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2022, 20:51   #7
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeForty View Post
Hi, I have a 2006 S40 and was wondering if it is the same fitment as yours because I cannot get to it to replace the bulb. My light is upside down inside the glovebox and short of squeezing my whole head inside the glovebox to see I cannot figure out how to remove the bulb, more importantly what type of bulb it is as I cannot see it, feels like a wedge base but how to remove it and replace with an LED, tried some small pin nosed modelling pliers but don't want to smash the bulb. I cannot get to the other side of it either. Was hoping removing the whole glovebox would not be necessary.
You need to post in the S40/V50/C30/C70 forum as this deals with the classic S/V40 upto 2004. Completely different cars.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 19:16   #8
cogs

There is nothing in my light fitment but the bulb. It blew and I changed it. New bulb slotted in fine but then I find but then I found the interior lights, heated seats and the Rear window demist won't work. Also, the clock only works when the ignition is on, I don't mean it is only visible then it is visible all the time but the time only advances when the ignition is on.

I've replaced every fuse and relay under the dash and under the bonnet, even those not related to those circuits, and still no joy.

Anyone got any ideas on the cause, please?
cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 10:32   #9
cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoV4O View Post
Hello,

I just joined here last night so hello and all that, I've got a 2001 V40 2.0 Auto in Silver and with 69,000 miles on the clock, I love my Volvo. Anyway I've been searching but can't seem to find any previous posts regarding the problem I'm having with the glove box light, the bulb went and I changed it, lovely I thought, but when it comes to putting it back in there is a 'C' shaped plastic thing behind it that keeps falling into the back of the dash, it is a pain to get out!!! Anyone have any problems with this and/or know how do stop this happening?

Many thanks
I finally got around to removing the lower trim and found the 'C' shaped plastic thing there. I guess the previous owner had butterfingers and dropped it down there and just left it.

I thought how hard can it be to fit correctly, the answer very hard what a fiddle, luckily I had left the trim off so I could easily recover the plastic bit when I dropped it for the fortieth time. In the end I gave up and but a spot of super glue on the plastic trim and slotted it into place then left it for a few hours before fitting the light. Worked a treat but still got no heated seats or rear screen and a funny acting clock.
cogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v40 volvo glove box light