Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Warning message - bonnet open

Views : 23329

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2016, 13:04   #1
productpeter
productpeter

Default Warning message - bonnet open

Where is the sensor that checks for bonnet closure?
I have an intermittent Warning Message coming up that says the Bonnet is Open when it clearly is not. A reasonably intense look around the under bonnet area does not reveal any potential sensor.
So where is it?
productpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 13:57   #2
adambsmith

Not sure - I had the same issue - necessitated a trip to the dealer unfortunately. Seems to be fairly common too.
adambsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 16:15   #3
andymcp
Premier Member

Likewise, trip to dealer. If it happens when you've locked the car it triggers the alarm. Not popular with neighbours!

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 18:43   #4
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by productpeter View Post
Where is the sensor that checks for bonnet closure?
I have an intermittent Warning Message coming up that says the Bonnet is Open when it clearly is not. A reasonably intense look around the under bonnet area does not reveal any potential sensor.
So where is it?
If I remember correctly, the unit that triggers the bonnet open alarm is located under the off side (right) bonnet lock mechanism.
I got the alarm on my first V60 and traced the fault to a loose wire connector.
You have not mentioned which model of Volvo that you have the problem with?

If you slam the bonnet shut, vibration can work the connector loose.
Better to close the bonnet by lowering and finally, using palms of both hands, push it into the closed position.

tem.
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 17:40   #5
productpeter
productpeter

My car is an XC60. Thanks for the comments. Just looked at the offside (and nearside) catches - no sign of any sensors or switches through the latch holes. These holes are not large and there is no other easily removed part - Bumper ?? So took off grill, broke lower catches, no other visible signs of wires etc. Note - only prise plastic catches in warm weather when the plastic is more pliable.
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 14:53   #6
tem
Premier Member

Had a look today at my V60 and can confirm the Bonnet Open/Closed module is situated below the right hand Bonnet Lock/Latch.

The attached photo was taken of the connector for the module using a mirror, as I could not get the camera into a position to see what I was doing.
Hence the poor quality.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attach...1&d=1456753772

tem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (172.7 KB, 722 views)
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 16:46   #7
Fat Magpie

Stuck microswitch - I had this issue as well when I bought mine, the dealer sprayed copious amounts of WD40 around the two holes that the bonnet latches into. then open and close the bonnet a few times. After a few days the alarm disappeared
XC60 MY10 AWD D5 Summum 205 PS, Geartronic, Winter pack, Aux diesel heater, Xenons, Family pack, Tinted rears, Moonroof, Parking sensor F&R, Premium sound, Car phone, Reversing camera, Lane departure, Hill decent, Savile Grey.
Fat Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fat Magpie For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 15:42   #8
productpeter
productpeter

Default Bonnet Open ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
Had a look today at my V60 and can confirm the Bonnet Open/Closed module is situated below the right hand Bonnet Lock/Latch.

The attached photo was taken of the connector for the module using a mirror, as I could not get the camera into a position to see what I was doing.
Hence the poor quality.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attach...1&d=1456753772

tem.
Thanks to you for your comments and the Picture. However my 2010 D3 doesn't have anywhere that looks like that, even in a mirror. No wire anywhere near the two latches.
So far since poking around and closing the bonnet gently it has mostly behaved itself. Nevertheless I would like to know how it senses closure.
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 10:59   #9
Cazg

ProductPeter have you managed to resolve this without going to Volvo?

I had the same thing flash up on my D5 XC60 on Friday whilst driving on the motorway. Ended up driving home after twice pulling over to make sure it wasn't open. When I got home and switched off the engine then switched it back on the message disappeared. Yippee I thought until yesterday a headlight bulb went so I had that changed and now the bonnet message is back on! The garage couldn't find the sensor either and WD40'd everything!

It's interesting to hear that this sets off the alarm as mine has been going off for the last two weeks for no reason (or so I thought). I read an earlier post on a different thread which has said if you remove the casing on the bonnet release there is a red connector however the poster advised after poking it with a screwdriver the message has completely gone, even when the bonnet is open!!!! I initially thought this would be a good plan however after sleeping on it I am having second thoughts. I don't want to give in and take it to Volvo however my mechanical skills are EXTREMELY limited.
Cazg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2016, 13:18   #10
productpeter
productpeter

Thanks for all comments.
Not solved but gone away so far. I am more careful when closing the bonnet.
There must be a sensor somewhere and it theoretically should be by the latches. But on my model it is very secret.