Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Problem with USB for map update

Views : 5000

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2018, 17:52   #1
humming

Unhappy Problem with USB for map update

I have been trying to update the maps on my MY 2017 XC60, but everytime I insert the USB stick into the USB port the load starts and then after a short time I get a USB not recognised message, and now My maps have disappeared.

I'm using a 64GB USB formatted as FAT32. When I use the Volvo Sensus Update tool to check the load on the USB it comes back as OK.

So, does the USB have to be exactly 32GB, can you only use certain brands of USB, or is it something else?
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 17:59   #2
Worthingmike

Hi I used a 64GB USB formatted as FAT32. But when I just deleted the previous maps and loaded the new maps I had a problem. But then I formated the USB stick and reloaded the maps I had no problem. So each time now I format the USB stick and so far no problem.
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 18:49   #3
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I generally use a 256gb SSD drive connected via USB and don’t have issues

I always download the maps to the PC first and then copy to the disc, I never download onto the disc
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 19:53   #4
NigelDay
Premier Member

I use a Kingston 32Gb one-piece pen. I download the files to my Mac and then transfer them to the pen (freshly formatted each time). Never had a problem.
https://www.kingston.com/en/usb/pers...siness/dtse9g2
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 07:38   #5
humming

Thanks for the responses.

I have reformated my USB and I am downloading the maps (again) to the USB. If that doesn't work, then I will try downloading to my PC first. If that doesn't work it has got to be something about my USB that the car doesn't like. I shall persevere!!

I did find it interesting that the recommend method, of copying directly to the USB, is not always being used. Mind you, with the time it takes to download the maps it makes sense to just put it on your PC and work from there.

Edited:

Just had a thought on this does the USB stick have to be a 2.0 or will the later 3.0 USBs work???

Last edited by humming; Feb 8th, 2018 at 08:39.
humming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 16:17   #6
Ixion

@humming it doesn't matter which USB version, each is backwards compatible (just not forwards).

I found it better to store to the PC first and then copy to USB (and verify using the tool). This was because when saving to the USB directly the Volvo app kept crashing and stopping the download at around 50%.
Ixion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 14:47   #7
Fellwalker

I found that downloading to pc first did it in half the time even including copying it to the USB stick. For a 76Mbps connection the download speed is pathetic.
(I got momentarily excited then, thinking this thread implied that there was a map update. No such luck even though the 2017 XC60 has had it for 3 weeks now. AND they get a sensible option of downloading only north west Europe for a vastly smaller and hence quicker process.
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 09:33   #8
cosssmyn

Well .. Good news, I also had problems with updating Navi, that was with me so that it always showed me "Navigation Starts" but it did not work ... so I then have someone from another USB stick 64GB ( Sandisk) get, since I first had it formatted, I then let install ex. the map of Israel on it, which had only 3GB and in 5 minutes it was installed (why that? Because the navi was completely blocked and I wanted the new one European map which did not work to delete or change it somehow and then to try again with the European map and it worked that way). then you can format the USB stick again and install the European maps on it again (I have first installed on computer and then I have copied the stick) .. in 1h 40min it was installed in my car and it went .. that motor must stay on. and what else was synonymous with me so that the dvd / usb no longer works and I have reset the manufacturer settings then it went again
cosssmyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2019, 11:53   #9
Jackob78

Default Sensus update problem

Hi everyone, I tried update my "sensus" load map to stick-first format them to exFat and load the Israel map to check how it works it all was done but when I put stick to USB port show me message "Energy consumption too high - USB not available " any ideas of whats going wrong? Please for any advice.
Jackob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2019, 14:07   #10
HDAV
Master Member

Sounds like your usb stick is drawing too much power is it a small flag unit or a larger hard drive based unit?
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote