Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rising oil level on C30 D5

Views : 14862

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2009, 21:59   #1
stiggles
TG's tame racing driver

Default Rising oil level on C30 D5

Hi folks

Apologies if this is the wrong section. I have a volvo C30 with a D5 engine (and the dreaded DPF). I've noticed over the last 2000 or so miles that my oil level has started to rise slowly.

It's currenly about 1cm over the max mark and slowly creeping up (I've been checking it cold on a flat level at lunch time). The oil itself looks normal, but is just rising (I've not added any to the car since I bought it).

My car's done just over 7000 miles. I'm booked in on Wednesday next week to get it looked at and was advised it's not normal.

Anyone had or heard of this before?

The car sounds normal enough and drives well, but the consumption has never been great. Fuel consumption is consistently 37-35mpg

Thanks

Stiggles
stiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 22:04   #2
John_C
Allons-y!

Are you losing coolant or PAS/brake fluid?
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 22:11   #3
stiggles
TG's tame racing driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Are you losing coolant or PAS/brake fluid?
Nope checked them both, all fine. The only level moving is the oil, which is going up
stiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 15:44   #4
Chesh740R
Turbobricker

Heard of a simular issue with Isuzu Diesel Engines, which could explain what is happening to yours.

Basically they had faulty injector seals which allowed diesel to seep down the bores and into the engine oil and the oil level would rise acordingly.

They did a big recall on them and replaced all the injectors or replaced the numerous engines that blew up as a result of diesel in the oil.

Part of isuzu's recall campaign was to bring vehicles in for a free oil and filter change, then give the car back to the customer for 4 weeks and then see if the oil level had risen, if it had the car was fitted with new injectors and turbos.

My friends was recalled but he was unlucky in the fact that the urk doing the oil change never tightened the sump bolt and so whilst driving along it lost all its oil in one sudden go and that was the end of that engine.
Chesh740R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 18:44   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

This is probably due to the particulate filter operation , get it to the dealer asap as too high an oil lever could cause the engine to run on its own oil and you wont be able to switch it off and the engine will destroy itself ... The dealer will be able to sort what is happening with help from volvo tech dept . do you get on the motorway very often or stuck in town or traffic mostly ?
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 17:44   #6
Georgey dee
Premier Member

This happened to a friend of mine. The car sat on the hard shoulder of the A1 on the hill near Leeds reving to distruction.

Very impressive to watch but he wasn't popular with the bank holiday traffic..

(Pug 309)

George
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 18:02   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

thats almost common with French cars , citroen and renault too .
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 21:15   #8
John_C
Allons-y!

Yes indeed, many a XUD engine has met it's end through dieseling, generates a staggering amount of smoke, very impressive
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 21:06   #9
musicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggles View Post
Hi folks

Apologies if this is the wrong section. I have a volvo C30 with a D5 engine (and the dreaded DPF). I've noticed over the last 2000 or so miles that my oil level has started to rise slowly.

It's currenly about 1cm over the max mark and slowly creeping up (I've been checking it cold on a flat level at lunch time). The oil itself looks normal, but is just rising (I've not added any to the car since I bought it).

My car's done just over 7000 miles. I'm booked in on Wednesday next week to get it looked at and was advised it's not normal.

Anyone had or heard of this before?

The car sounds normal enough and drives well, but the consumption has never been great. Fuel consumption is consistently 37-35mpg

Thanks

Stiggles
I know this issue.... I thought I was the only one in the world with that problem with a Volvo car!!! See my post: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=65168

I have the same problem with my XC90 D5 since August 2008 (13 motths, more of twelve visits to the dealer, and four months of accumulated staying at the dealer). They have changed the fives inyectors, the injection pump, do a forced particle regeneration, and finally change the full engine (plus six or seven engine oil changes...). But none of these solutions has fixed the oil rising problem.

I'm in the process of sueing Volvo Car Spain as the problem appeared within the official warrantee period and they haven't fixed it for more than one year.

The last "solution" they have given to me is to change the engine oil every 3 months or 10.000 Km while they get an answer from Sweden....

Unbelieveable!!

Mi advise: keep all invoices of your visits to the dealer.

Last edited by musicman; Oct 4th, 2009 at 21:25.
musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:24   #10
musicman

Default Rising oil engine level mistery solved... (almost)

Volvo confirms there is a problem with rising oil levels in D5 DPF engines.

News from CCN: Volvo warns customers of engine problem, mulls recall

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS...ion/index.html

Last edited by musicman; May 5th, 2010 at 06:43.
musicman is offline   Reply With Quote