Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EML light without a code

Views : 2168

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2019, 08:20   #1
MadAlicesDad

Default EML light without a code

I've had my 63k mile 64 plate V60 since late Jan and have done about 1200 miles without any problems.

Yesterday, (typically 1 day after the seller's standard warranty expired) the engine management light came on whilst driving to work.

The car had been started from cold (temp about 3 deg C) and the light came on after about 2 miles. The dash display said there was 1 message, but did not say what it was. My cheapo ebay code reader said there were two logged codes, both classed as N/A (?). I cleared them, EML went off, no message notification on the dash.

This morning, 2 miles into my journey, same thing; EML on, message warning that contains no message, 2x N/A codes. I reset with the code reader and all went back to normal.

Any idea what fault may register a EML and dash message without logging a meaningful code?

Mike
MadAlicesDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2019, 09:44   #2
Turnwood

What engine have you got? If it is the D4 VEA then this might be signs of EGR issues (see monster thread in this section of the forum). Connecting to VIDA probably the only way to know for sure what is going on.

Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2019, 10:35   #3
Zebster
Upstanding Member

So you're finding 2 codes but your cheapo reader can't explain them? I'm guessing that this reader can only quote generic OBD2 fault codes rather than Volvo-specific codes, although usually the P-code is still displayed so an explanation can be found on Google.

The dash message is unlikely to be related, but should be available by pushing the button on the left stalk (it may even be the common message you get about belts and doors whenever a rear door has been opened before moving off, which is bloody irritating).

I suggest you ignore the EGR problem scare-mongering until it's actually confirmed! I was getting a regular, repetitive engine warning light a while ago with a P014c error code, which was for a sooted up oxygen sensor in the exhaust manifold (another common VEA issue) but this cured itself during a DPF regeneration.
Old Feb 28th, 2019, 12:33   #4
MadAlicesDad

It's a 2015MY D4, I'm not sure what VEA means in this context though.

The reader picks up two faults but there is something odd about the way it 'categorises' them that implies only one is real (but I cannot remember the terms it uses). The fact it says N/A instead of a P code is strange though, on previous cars it has always given a P code that can be traced via google.

On the car, If I access messages via the OK button, all I get is the doors closed diagram. The dash message is only there when the EML is on and both disappear when I cancel the codes.

It's as if the car 'thinks' there is a fault but doesn't know what it is. If it happens once then OK, twice is a bit more concerning. Wonder what will happen tomorrow?

Mike
Old Feb 28th, 2019, 15:03   #5
Zebster
Upstanding Member

VEA refers to the engine type, e.g. the latest 4-cylinder. I guess you may have the older 5-cylinder engine is you have AWD?

Are they 'pending' codes?
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 11:11   #6
MadAlicesDad

Yes, now you mention the term 'pending', I remember that the terms that I couldn't remember yesterday are 'fault' and 'pend'.
When the EML is on there is 1 fault and 1 pending. When I look further, both codes are N/A.
I checked the codes after getting home last night. The EML was not on and the code reader said 0 faults, 1 pending. I cancelled it, drove about 1/2 mile and checked codes again. Got the same reading; 0 fault, 1 pending.

I don't know if it's connected, but I frequently notice a whiff of diesel exhaust fumes in the cabin. I never experienced this with my previous (and identical) V60.

PS I don't think it's 5 cylinder and it's not AWD.

Mike
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 14:03   #7
Craig S

It does sound like it is the EGR issue.

It tends to start with a fault code and CEL, the CEL can disappear for a little while then it will come back.

That being said, my cheap OBD2 reader and Torque Pro App identified the P04d9 fault code at the first time of asking
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 18:17   #8
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S View Post
It does sound like it is the EGR issue.

It tends to start with a fault code and CEL, the CEL can disappear for a little while then it will come back.

That being said, my cheap OBD2 reader and Torque Pro App identified the P04d9 fault code at the first time of asking
Those symptoms could just as equally apply to a sooted-up exhaust oxygen sensor but, whatever the reason, it's odd not to be able to read the associated code.
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 19:24   #9
MadAlicesDad

I was hoping a DPF regen would sort it but after a few hundred miles and about 10 occurrences of EML and no code stored, it went into limp mode today. At least it registered a P0101 code so I now have something to work on.
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 09:59   #10
jasmith44
jasmith44

I thought a regen only took about 15 mins,holding it in 3rd while doing about 60mph.It's only what I read somewhere,iv'e never had a diesel car so I might be wrong.