Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EML light without a code

Views : 2166

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2019, 18:56   #11
piotrek

Default Parameters for VEA engines

Car Scanner ELM OBD2 app has just added new profile: VOLVO 2014+ VEA engine. Over 80 sensors, including DPF soot, DPF temp, distance since last DPF regen, MAF, oil level, oil temp, AT temp, battery state of charge, etc. Can read fault codes, too.
Might be well worth trying
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 19:49   #12
MadAlicesDad

I took it to a local garage (cheap AND trustworthy) who confirmed codes as P04D900 (EGR) and P010100 (mass flow). It's going back on Friday for 'surgery', presumably a new EGR. I just hope the warranty covers it.

One thing that I do find strange is that limp mode has appeared a few times, but on a couple of occasions has cancelled itself (including the P010100 code) whilst on the same journey!

I've since bought a newer code reader and installed Car Scanner ELM OBD2 app yesterday. It doesn't have VOLVO 2014+ VEA engine as a profile option but does read the codes. I guess the profile will follow in due course.

Last edited by MadAlicesDad; Mar 27th, 2019 at 19:50. Reason: typo
MadAlicesDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 10:14   #13
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAlicesDad View Post
I took it to a local garage (cheap AND trustworthy) who confirmed codes as P04D900 (EGR) and P010100 (mass flow). It's going back on Friday for 'surgery', presumably a new EGR. I just hope the warranty covers it.

One thing that I do find strange is that limp mode has appeared a few times, but on a couple of occasions has cancelled itself (including the P010100 code) whilst on the same journey!

I've since bought a newer code reader and installed Car Scanner ELM OBD2 app yesterday. It doesn't have VOLVO 2014+ VEA engine as a profile option but does read the codes. I guess the profile will follow in due course.
Sounds like the EGR cooler is becoming blocked (a common VEA problem).

I had to have a replacement last week and Volvo goodwill covered it 100%. However I also needed an EGR valve, for which Volvo goodwill only covered 50%. My total bill (including £60 diagnostics) was £337
Old May 7th, 2019, 20:56   #14
MadAlicesDad

An update.
The car went to Volvo main dealer 11 April. They advised it would be EGR valve, cooler, pipes and would cost a lot (this last bit was said almost with excitement).
Left it with them having been assured parts would be easily available. To cut a long story short, a new problem seemed to arrive everyday, whether it was lack of mechanics to do the work, lack of diagnostics, new faults found. In the end, it had all the above bits replaced plus a new inlet manifold and new software in the ECU. I also mentioned the oil consumption (0.5l needed after 900 miles) so they drained and refilled the oil. I have to go back after 2000km for them to drain and measure consumption.

I got the car back on 18 April; even then I had to apply pressure so I wasn't left car-less for the bank holiday. Total bill over £1650, or 15% of the price paid I paid for the car just 2 months earlier; NOT HAPPY. Fortunately my warranty company picked up £1000 of the cost, but even so...

Anyway, car is hopefully sorted BUT the software change has ruined it. Whereas previously you could pull away from very low revs, there is now no torque below 2000rpm. I don't remember stalling a car so much.

When I go back for the oil check I will mention the undriveability and see what they say but has anyone else had this software change and experienced the same change in driving characteristics?
Old May 7th, 2019, 23:13   #15
dhr90

If the software change they have applied has made it so undriveable under 2000rpm I wouldn't be waiting 2000km to complain about that. I would be right back to the dealer to complain about it given how much money it has cost you.
Old May 8th, 2019, 07:54   #16
Zebster
Upstanding Member

I certainly suffered no loss of performance or economy after replacement of my EGR valve and cooler (my inlet manifold did not require replacement). If you are suffering stalling issues then this is a fault and you really need to complain without delay!

The Car Scanner app will work fine for reading engine Diagnostic Trouble Codes without the need to set up the connection profile. However properly configuring to your car will allow a range of sensors to be read and displayed (including DPF and engine oil level) so it's worth doing. @piotrek helped me to configure mine in this thread page, I don't think I could have worked it out without his help!
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=290526&page=2
Old May 9th, 2019, 21:35   #17
MadAlicesDad

TBH undriveable is a bit of an exaggeration on my part but it's got absolutely no torque below 2000rpm; I don't think the stalling is a fault as such, but I've been used to the D4 engine for 15 months and the change in characteristics and inability to pull away from very low revs takes a bit of getting used to!

If the dealer was round the corner then I would be back immediately. Even though it's only 15 miles, it's a minimum 1.5h round trip even on a good day and at the moment I don't have the time to spare. I'll have done the 2000km within another two weeks so will be back then for the oil check.