Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gutted

Views : 3600

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2019, 12:10   #11
concrete

By the way, thanks for the replies guys, I’ve read this forum for several years and find it a real mine of information.

Last edited by concrete; Mar 31st, 2019 at 13:09.
concrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 12:14   #12
psl
Master Member

Having just gone through hell with a vivaro van, bought in dec 2018 and just sold this weekend for a big loss, I can feel your pain. I was offered 400 max by van breakers, with its genuine low miles (78,000) on the clock and immaculate bodywork. I kept running it with one broken injector after the other, as the cost each time was ridiculous, coupled with the fact lost work time, I was pulling my hair out. If you can fix it then sell on, or keep it and run it. That would be your best option, as the pain of giving away something you spent so much on really hurts.
psl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psl For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 12:58   #13
concrete

I’m probably sounding desperate, but I’m just exploring all options. Been looking on the steel seal website and reading reviews elsewhere. Does this stuff actually work or is it just voodoo?
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 15:03   #14
Ian21401
Premier Member

I don’t profess to be a mechanic, but the cause of the pressurisation needs to be identified before you can make an informed decision. Cylinder head gasket or cracked cylinder head or cracked cylinder liner/block. Is the coolant simply disappearing? Is the coolant contaminated? I believe that there is a test to ascertain that. Compression test to identify which cylinder, if any, is the culprit.
I may be completely wrong. There are more people on here with much more knowledge than me.
Perhaps this thread should be bumped to the appropriate section.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 15:38   #15
concrete

My mate has tested it and said possible head gasket, but not to rule out cracked cylinder head or block. At the minute it runs beautifully and just loses water now and again. I’ve done 250 mile round trips and lost nothing and then driven 40 miles and needed to top up. No white smoke, no overheating, oil is fine, I assume he did the coolant test for exhaust gases, but will check. All that is happening is the pressurisation and coolant loss.
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 18:02   #16
Black dog

I've a 2004 s60 doing the same thing. Purchaced it from a customer 2 years ago as he did not wish to throw money at it. We run it since as a pick up car and it's still flyin!
Don't use steel seal its the most expensive hash you will ever make, you may as well take the money and go on the pi&& with it at least you will have a hangover to show for it, either way the car will be no better off.
I can drive the s60 about 40 miles before it starts to loss coolant, doesent heat either unless I put a trailer on it. I swore at the beginning it was head gasket but now I'm not so sure I'm beginning to believe it may have a restricted return hose or partially blocked rad. In 2 years it's got no worse!
In my experience sniff and dye tests have been inconclusive of testing head gaskets.

Last edited by Black dog; Mar 31st, 2019 at 18:08.
Black dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Black dog For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 20:33   #17
abdiel
VOC Member

Default Steel Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete View Post
I’m probably sounding desperate, but I’m just exploring all options. Been looking on the steel seal website and reading reviews elsewhere. Does this stuff actually work or is it just voodoo?

Whatever you do, DO NOT USE STEEL SEAL!
The chances of it actually working are about the same as winning the Lottery and as a bonus it will clog up everything in the cooling system. Ask me how I know!
abdiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abdiel For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 21:56   #18
concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdiel View Post
Whatever you do, DO NOT USE STEEL SEAL!
The chances of it actually working are about the same as winning the Lottery and as a bonus it will clog up everything in the cooling system. Ask me how I know!
Reading the reviews doesn’t fill me with confidence. Seems to have a 50% success rate, with some people having more problems because of it. Looks like my issue could stay the same for several years and not get worse. Think I’ll nurse the car along for now and top up the coolant as required. I’m old enough to have owned cars where topping up the water and oil was pretty much a weekly
thing anyway.

We’re spoilt nowadays.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to concrete For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 22:29   #19
Black dog

Because the one I have doesent cover miles I didn't investigate, but if I'm ever quiet at work I will. Money still on rad or blocked return.
Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 11:30   #20
concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black dog View Post
Because the one I have doesent cover miles I didn't investigate, but if I'm ever quiet at work I will. Money still on rad or blocked return.
Your post has helped convince me to keep the car and just carry a gallon of coolant water in the boot. It only needs to do three years and it could well do that. It absolutely purrs and is so comfortable.

On the steel seal front, I’ve been chatting to a couple of mechanics I know and one of them has used it on a six pot discovery which was losing a bottle of water a week-it lasted two and a half years and the owner only sold it on because the gearbox started playing up. The other has a mate who is about to use some on a Toyota, don’t which model. I’ll be watching with interest, but don’t intend using it myself, especially as I don’t want to possibly make matters worse than they already are.

Thanks again for all the replies, hopefully I’ll still be chugging around in it, this time next year.