Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 D5 High Oil Pressure Problem

Views : 1447

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2019, 10:40   #11
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Not heard of it myself.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 11:18   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3s1s74nc3 View Post
I was wondering some of you guys , have you ever read or heard about oil pump problems on this engine that can cause this kind of problem ? On VW I have seen it few times . Probably will try first , with new relief valve and after that will continue struggling with the pump

You do not have a problem ,

firstly, in Bulgaria the correct oil recommended by volvo may well be 5W/30 ..

All the pressures you quote are as per volvo oil pressure specifications ...

hot engine :

idle 1.9 bar

4000 rpm 4.5 bar

all other readings taken when cold are irrelevant ..

How can you take the pressure relief valve out? It is part of the pump ...

Yet another haynes manual error ..

Also rubbish what you were told about the turbo oil pressure , the relatively massive oil drain pipe doesn't allow any pressure to build up inside unless the drain pipe itself is blocked .

All you need to do is to find where your leak is coming from , Are you sure it isn't just residue from the previous problem ?
Old May 12th, 2019, 11:37   #13
AndyV7o
Premier Member

^^^this.
As said (and its a cold day in hell when me and clan are on the same page regarding oil 😁😉😆 ) there appears to be a restriction somewhere causing the high pressure.
Old May 12th, 2019, 11:41   #14
r3s1s74nc3

The pressure relief valve is separate unit . It is located infront of the enigne , somewhere around the crank pulley . It is something around 40-50 Euro . The leak is from the hot side of the turbos 100% . I run the engine without the exhaust manifold for around 10-20 mins and there were no leaks . The return oil pipe of the turbo is clean as a brand new one . I sended the turbos for a second opinion on different place and they told me that they are ok .

And i have :
idle - 2.5 bars
4000 rpms - 5-6 bars
r3s1s74nc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 11:42   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
^^^this.
As said (and its a cold day in hell when me and clan are on the same page regarding oil 😁😉😆 ) there appears to be a restriction somewhere causing the high pressure.
but there is no high pressure , it is normal to have that kind of pressure when cold ... volvo only quote hot pressures , cold pressure is irrelevant .. It is the same with any make of engine really ...
Old May 12th, 2019, 11:52   #16
AndyV7o
Premier Member

It isnt irrelevant, try putting straight sae40 in and see what happens!
If the turbo manufacturer states a maximum pressure, then thats the maximum pressure (ok we only have 3rd party info here) it is rated at, there will be a safety margin, but anything significantly above the rated pressure will cause problems.
However we both feel a problem is being overlooked here.
That said, if the pressure relief valve is stuck, then thats a no brainer.
I dont however see how removing exhaust manifold makes a bean of difference, the turbo is still supllied with oil.
I suspect either the relief valve is stuck, theres an unidentified restriction, the turbo wasnt rebuilt properly.
Old May 12th, 2019, 11:59   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
It isnt irrelevant, try putting straight sae40 in and see what happens!
If the turbo manufacturer states a maximum pressure, then thats the maximum pressure (ok we only have 3rd party info here) it is rated at, there will be a safety margin, but anything significantly above the rated pressure will cause problems.
However we both feel a problem is being overlooked here.
That said, if the pressure relief valve is stuck, then thats a no brainer.
I dont however see how removing exhaust manifold makes a bean of difference, the turbo is still supllied with oil.
I suspect either the relief valve is stuck, theres an unidentified restriction, the turbo wasnt rebuilt properly.
It is irrelevant to oil pressure checks because there are no figures published for cold oil pressures ... his warm oil pressures are within specifications hence me saying he does not have an oil pressure problem .
He also said he took the oil pressure valve out and had almost zero pressure , that's not possible as the relief valve is in the pump in the sump . What he took out was probably the piston cooling jet control valve ! His only problem now seems to be some oil coming out of a turbo hose ?
I shall let you sort this one out Andy ..
Old May 12th, 2019, 12:09   #18
r3s1s74nc3

Not sure are we allowed to post links in the forum but this is the easiest way to show you what I mean about the external oil relief valve :

https://www.xdalys.lt/en/volvo-d3-d4...01_other-parts

This is the valve that i'm talking about , that this engine has .
By removing the exhaust I removed the suspicions of leaking cylinder inside the turbos , broken piston rings/piston/damaged cylinder/leaking valve seal .
r3s1s74nc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 12:17   #19
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Cold oil pressure does matter a lot, if it is excessive or insufficient, just the same as hot.

However, if he is using 5w30 and the hot pressure is correct, there indeed should not be, a problem with cold oil pressure, relief valve or not as the oil has a set behaviour which is within the parameters of this engine. I think this may be to which you are referring?

You know these engines better than he or I do, so he should take heed!

All I am saying is, if the turbo has a rated maximum pressure, and is being exceeded, then it cant be expected to hold the excess pressure.
What needs to be done, is actually talk to the turbo people about the turbo, in particular cold oil pressure and its maximum rating, and that it is leaking.

If there is a restriction in the system, then the relief should cap the pressure (even though this isnt fixing the issue) if the relief is stuck, it wont. If the relief is part of the pump, then the pump needs changing/refurbing.
If the relief is functioning correctly, which it most likely is, then we simply have a leak for whatever reason.
This brings us back to he same point, the oil is correct, and the pump/valve is 98% certain to be fine, so the actual issue needs to be identified rather than concentrating on one inconclusive conclusion...
Old May 12th, 2019, 12:27   #20
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3s1s74nc3 View Post
Not sure are we allowed to post links in the forum but this is the easiest way to show you what I mean about the external oil relief valve :

https://www.xdalys.lt/en/volvo-d3-d4...01_other-parts

This is the valve that i'm talking about , that this engine has .
By removing the exhaust I removed the suspicions of leaking cylinder inside the turbos , broken piston rings/piston/damaged cylinder/leaking valve seal .
Removing the manifold did none of that Im afraid!

No disrespect, but I feel you need a little more knowledge and understanding before attempting diagnosis. You have come here for help, which is good, and people will try and steer you right, but if Clan who has been working on volvo for 47 years tells you something mechanical, you need to pay attention.
Ive got many years general experience myself, and have a keen interest in oil to the point I have been studying it for many years. (This is where me and clan usually fall out with each other, as his vast mechanical experience has disabled his 'I might actually not know something' protocol regarding oil, but thats another matter, to explain why we get each others backs up, not to discredit him in any way, he knows his volvos, so listen!
When it comes to volvo mechanics, Clan is yer man.
Oil stuff, Im here. (Disclaimer, im not qualified expert oil chemist, just have a whole lot of actual knowledge, infinitely cross referenced and compared to iron out conjecture and waffle which the internet is full of! Thats why its taken a decade, and still learning...)

Last edited by AndyV7o; May 12th, 2019 at 12:35.