Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2011 V50 Battery & start/stop and coding

Views : 3673

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2017, 17:38   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmark View Post
So managed to get hold of a charger, charged it till the charger said it was done + a few hours.

Start/stop still does not work. So will be getting it checked out MOT time in March.

Any more on what it could be other than the battery?
what was the current rating of the charger in Amps and how long was it charging for and did you disconnect the battery after and reconnect it ??
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 20:32   #12
jamesmark
Part of a nanny state

Answers below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
what was the current rating of the charger in Amps 7A
how long was it charging for total of 36 hours, was reading at 0 after 24 to signal fully charged
did you disconnect the battery after and reconnect it ?? Nope, does it have an ECU that requires a reset? I assume that's why I would disconnect and reconnect, used to do that with my Supra TT. If so how long does it need to be disconnected for, are there codes for the radio on V50?
jamesmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 21:21   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Answers below
That's reasonable , Ideally you need to read out the battery state of charge from the CEM it must be over 80% for stop/start to work ..
Yes disconnecting battery for just a few seconds resets the battery monitor to a default setting of 80% so it should then work , it will adapt as you drive and if it drops below 80% again it will stop working , where you will need to investigate battery capacity problems .
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 21:29   #14
jamesmark
Part of a nanny state

Quote:
That's reasonable , Ideally you need to read out the battery state of charge from the CEM it must be over 80% for stop/start to work ..
Yes disconnecting battery for just a few seconds resets the battery monitor to a default setting of 80% so it should then work , it will adapt as you drive and if it drops below 80% again it will stop working , where you will need to investigate battery capacity problems .
So keep probing the battery, for arguements sake though is the battery the only reason it could not work?

I am hoping it is, as even a new battery is cheaper than most things.

I will stick it on charge for a few more days after I disconnect battery.

Thank you Clan.
jamesmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 21:35   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
So keep probing the battery, for arguements sake though is the battery the only reason it could not work?

I am hoping it is, as even a new battery is cheaper than most things.

I will stick it on charge for a few more days after I disconnect battery.

Thank you Clan.
No , there are quite a few other things which stop it working , like ambient weather temps of around 0 C like recently . The reason for it not working is stored in the CEM .. thats why the dealer can be such a help . If you do go for a battery remember it must be a AGM 760 A type , best deal is usually at the dealer ,
Old Jan 29th, 2017, 08:46   #16
Bloders2

Quote:
, best deal is usually at the dealer ,
how much do dealers charge for a battery?

I have to say im sceptical that a main agent for any brand of car will be the best to buy a replacement battery from
Bloders2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 19:49   #17
theoldswan

Default Same problem solved.

Hi Folks,

I am a self employed car dealer based on the Oxfordshire/Northamptonshire border and had taken into stock a 2011 11 plate V50 1.6 diesel Drive SE Lux with 56k miles on the clock. My wife has been running around in the car for a few weeks as we had to replace 2nd and 3rd gear synchro's along with clutch and flywheel and I wanted to get a bit of confidence in the car before selling. Anyway she highlighted that the Start-stop was not functioning at all. After a lot of trawling through forums etc I have found the cure for our problem, possibly worth a shot.
The key bit was to completely disconnect the battery from the car to reset the battery condition monitor, charged battery (with start/stop battery charger, a standard charger will destroy the battery) checked battery voltage - 12.6v refitted battery and bingo. This car does have adaptive xenons so I did test with rear parking lights only running, no a/c or radio so as not to put excessive load on battery, it was 25 degrees outside so set temperature to 23. At least I know it works now. Hope this helps.

Last edited by theoldswan; Jul 16th, 2019 at 20:06.
theoldswan is offline   Reply With Quote