Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 power and starting issues

Views : 451

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2019, 13:52   #1
Rrelite

Default C30 power and starting issues

Hi all first post so please be understanding at my lack of volvo knowledge.

Ok here goes, so I bought my first volvo last week a 2010 C30 1.6d rdesign it's high mileage, 160k but has FSH and had the water pump and timing belt done 15k miles ago, despite its age it looks very well taken care off.

The car drives but I feel like its lacking power in low gears and try as I may cant get it to push over the 80mph mark.

It also occasionally has issues starting, I will have to crank it 5/6 times before it will start. I've had battery and alternator tested, both good.

I've removed the engine cover to find the PCV valve blowing what looks to be like oil on injector 4, it's not fuel.

Turbo sounds fine and the turbo hoses go rock hard when I rev engine so dont think I have a boost leak.

Ita got a new fuel filter in

I've use my obd reader and torque pro but the only error code its throwing me is EGR related P0401 I believe, I've tried to remove my egr to clean it but some one has rounded the bolt off

Also after about 10 min of driving eml comes on and I get an error message about anti skid service required.

Please can any one shed any light on the lack of power and why its struggles to start I really need a push in the right direction, my previous car was an 120i e88 petrol so quite different.

Many thanks
Rich
Rrelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 14:54   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrelite View Post
Hi I've use my obd reader and torque pro
With poor starting, live data is often more useful than any error codes.

Follow this video and post up where your data isn't as it should be.
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 20:01   #3
Rrelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
With poor starting, live data is often more useful than any error codes.

Follow this video and post up where your data isn't as it should be.
Thanks for the video pal, I just set my torque app up so it was the same as the one in the video and went and tried it out. All the values were as they should be, how ever saying that the car started fine, it's only every so often it doesn't start, I would say two/three times a week, regardless of weather the engine is hot or not, almost like its ran out of fuel.

Didn't realise I could change and add so many readings to the torque app, can you recommend any of the live data values I could monitor to check for the lack of power I'm getting, which unlike the starting issues is a constant problem?

Thanks for your help
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 20:45   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Those tests can't really help if the car is starting ok but is very useful when the problem occurs.

What information exactly is available varies from vehicle to vehicle.
In my video here where I connect Torque Pro to my motorbike, I go through the screens to show you how to find out the information that's available for your specific vehicle.

On a diesel, you can't have too much air and fuel info.
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 22:56   #5
Rrelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Those tests can't really help if the car is starting ok but is very useful when the problem occurs.

What information exactly is available varies from vehicle to vehicle.
In my video here where I connect Torque Pro to my motorbike, I go through the screens to show you how to find out the information that's available for your specific vehicle.

On a diesel, you can't have too much air and fuel info.
Thank you for your help, your information is very useful.

Just got back from my grandmas funeral so cant be arsed to go out to car now but tomorrow I'll take a look at what fuel and air readings I can grab from torque pro.

Do you think if I can get the egr valve off and give it a clean it could help with the power issues?

Still getting the

p0401 powertrain
Exhaust gas circulation insufficient detected

Your help is really appreciated than you