Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Corona spare time

Views : 4770

Replies : 104

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2020, 19:49   #41
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Dogs are really helpful in the garden aren’t they. We used to have a lawn in our back garden. The previous lab. started the damage with his pee when he was receiving chemo. for Lymphoma. His replacement is a “scraper”. He seriously excavates with his back legs after peeing. That which was previously a lawn is now a patch of grass and mud and very difficult to mow.
I have a long list of jobs to do, garden, house and car but I’m having difficulty finding the enthusiasm and energy to do any of them when in the past I would have just rolled from one to the next. I must make an effort and get to it whilst confined.
Sorry about the moan but I had to let it out.
Stay safe and well everyone.
My old lab managed to turn most of the garden brown with her wee and the huntaway would scrape so we had a destroyed garden!

Now is definitely the time to be getting on with everything while we have no choice but to be inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Better weather tomorrow Ian so I'm sure you will feel more like it then !!

I have a list as long as both arms and can't wait for the weekend And the added bonus of longer evenings from Sunday
I must admit I was expecting some WhatsApp photos from you Mark of new suspension being fitted to your 940 and a pair of wings!
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 19:59   #42
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Dogs are really helpful in the garden aren’t they. We used to have a lawn in our back garden. The previous lab. started the damage with his pee when he was receiving chemo. for Lymphoma. His replacement is a “scraper”. He seriously excavates with his back legs after peeing. That which was previously a lawn is now a patch of grass and mud and very difficult to mow.
No worries about the moan Ian, think we're all guilty of doing similar about the situation.

My dog is quite useful in the garden. If i want a hole dug, i get the hose and turn it on and point it at the ground where i want the hole. A few minutes later, i have a hole!

By moving the hose round, she follows it so i can "sculpt" the hole to the shape i want. I still have to move the displaced earth but she does most of the hard work.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 21:13   #43
nutco
Getting on a bit

Any other NHS or otherwise key workers on here?[/QUOTE]

My wife is a mental health nurse, shes just gone off for 12.5 hour shift, shes on 4 this week, I just dont know how they keep so up beat, hats off to every one off them,
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 21:42   #44
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
My old lab managed to turn most of the garden brown with her wee and the huntaway would scrape so we had a destroyed garden!

Now is definitely the time to be getting on with everything while we have no choice but to be inside.

I must admit I was expecting some WhatsApp photos from you Mark of new suspension being fitted to your 940 and a pair of wings!
Poss next week Luke. I've got them all painted but need to take to my mates garage to get bushes installed with his hydraulic press. I'll be treating and painting inside of new wings tomorrow and also getting spare engine on my homemade wheeled pallet with a view to getting rid of Ole Rusty shell

Although not sure breakers will be picking up at the moment ( understandably )
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 01:51   #45
Jebus
VOC Member

Have made a start to fix the saggy bolster on the 940, which have been putting off for a while, the seats in it originally were holed and ripped to hell so managed to get a new interior that was much better but the bolster was a little saggy, turns out that its got a wrecked bottom bit on the bolster

Couple pics of progress so far, bottom of the seat base comes off no bother at all, and at least only side to deal with

Seat base off in a couple minutes, (The guide in the FAQ was awesome)

by Jebus, on Flickr

The sides should look like this

by Jebus, on Flickr

But the driver side of mine is a tad ruined

by Mark Acton, on Flickr

Ordered some contact glue and sewing stuff, shouldn't be too bad to fix, maybe add some reinforcement, so hopefully can make a start on the other jobs haven't gotten around too, and continue the hunt for a new tan dash since there are some cracks on mine..( I did have a spare a couple years ago but it was getting in the way so it got chucked out why is it when you get rid of spare parts, not long after you will most definitely need them)

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 07:45   #46
V90Towman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You need to invest in something comfortable to sit on and preferably something to put the wheel on while polishing - it makes life much easier!
I also found the "shadow" thing

I think that one shows some of the shadows left behind from polishing. In the end, after a couple of weeks on just one wheel i gave up and painted them instead

You're lucky in that you started with mirror polsihed wheels. Given what i experienced with mine, even after getting all the heavy primer off, i certainly don't envy you the task but it will look nice once done!
Dave I have some natural padding to cushion me! Tried taking a wheel off but it was stuck hard on and didn’t want to give it a bash with a mallet so left it on. I know it’s not the proper approach but may take it off if I have more time on weekend. The shadow in your pictures exactly the effect, hate mirrored wheels. might spray them but the wife would not let me back in the house the pressure is on to do a half decent job. Thanks for advice and ideas for what is a painful task.

Last edited by V90Towman; Mar 28th, 2020 at 07:58.
V90Towman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to V90Towman For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 08:40   #47
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutco View Post
Any other NHS or otherwise key workers on here?
My wife is a mental health nurse, shes just gone off for 12.5 hour shift, shes on 4 this week, I just dont know how they keep so up beat, hats off to every one off them,[/QUOTE]

How can they expect people to work like that long term!

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Poss next week Luke. I've got them all painted but need to take to my mates garage to get bushes installed with his hydraulic press. I'll be treating and painting inside of new wings tomorrow and also getting spare engine on my homemade wheeled pallet with a view to getting rid of Ole Rusty shell

Although not sure breakers will be picking up at the moment ( understandably )
Is it the sleeved bushes that need pushing in? They might go in with some lube and a socket in a vice.

What are you going to do with the engine? I might be in the market for the head at some point to rob all the bits for my 531 head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
Have made a start to fix the saggy bolster on the 940, which have been putting off for a while, the seats in it originally were holed and ripped to hell so managed to get a new interior that was much better but the bolster was a little saggy, turns out that its got a wrecked bottom bit on the bolster

Couple pics of progress so far, bottom of the seat base comes off no bother at all, and at least only side to deal with

Seat base off in a couple minutes, (The guide in the FAQ was awesome)

by Jebus, on Flickr

The sides should look like this

by Jebus, on Flickr

But the driver side of mine is a tad ruined

by Mark Acton, on Flickr

Ordered some contact glue and sewing stuff, shouldn't be too bad to fix, maybe add some reinforcement, so hopefully can make a start on the other jobs haven't gotten around too, and continue the hunt for a new tan dash since there are some cracks on mine..( I did have a spare a couple years ago but it was getting in the way so it got chucked out why is it when you get rid of spare parts, not long after you will most definitely need them)
Nice work! I don't envy you doing that but it will be well worth it.

I don't chuck anything now, that's why the garden has now become parts storage too haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V90Towman View Post
Dave I have some natural padding to cushion me! Tried taking a wheel off but it was stuck hard on and didn’t want to give it a bash with a mallet so left it on. I know it’s not the proper approach but may take it off if I have more time on weekend. The shadow in your pictures exactly the effect, hate mirrored wheels. might spray them but the wife would not let me back in the house the pressure is on to do a half decent job. Thanks for advice and ideas for what is a painful task.
If the wheel is stuck on fit two wheel nuts just a few threads. Kick the tyre from behind really hard and it should come off. When refiting put some grease on it and you will never have the issue again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 10:42   #48
griston64
Premier Member

Is it the sleeved bushes that need pushing in? They might go in with some lube and a socket in a vice.

What are you going to do with the engine? I might be in the market for the head at some point to rob all the bits for my 531 head.

It is the sleeved bushes Luke. end of strut rods and control arms. I have a vice but It's pretty small and I'm not sure it would be up to the job.

I'm planning on rebuilding the engine Luke with the bigger turbo that I bought.
To what extent I'm not sure until I strip. It ran beautifully but it's on 220k so it could just be new rings and a freshen up or a full rebore with bigger pistons.
Knowing me it will spiral out of control as usual Stroker crank etc etc etc blah blah blah
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 19:26   #49
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Give it a go mark, you will be amazed at what they can do. I removed mine with a vice and socket and the hydraulic press mushroomed the ends over.

Haha, that sounds good to me, a 2.5 big turbo 940

I just emptied the boot of my 360 after about 3 years of it having all of the turbo pipes, wiring, ECU's etc to convert it to turbo so I could store them away properly. I though I would hoover it too and as I lifted the boot carpet I found rust around two grommets! I've dealt with it straight away.

Last edited by 360beast; Mar 28th, 2020 at 20:30. Reason: Spelling
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 20:20   #50
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Give it a go mark, you will be amazed at what they can do. I removed mine with a vice and socket and the hydraulic press mushroomed the ends over.

Haha, that sounds good to me, a 2.5 big turbo 940

I just emptied the boot of my 360 after about 3 years of it having all of the turbo pipes, wiring, ECU's etc to convert it to turbo so I could store them away properly. I though o would you we it to and as I lifted the boot carpet I found rust around two grommets! I've dealt with it straight away.
I'll perhaps see tomorrow Luke. They are now all painted with Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black and look pretty good
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: