Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2026693

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2020, 16:48   #531
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Great news on the oil leak Alan!
Yes, I’m pleased with that outcome Dave.

I couldn’t think of any jobs to do on the RB today, which is I suppose a good outcome. I still need to change the ATF again, but because of the pandemic travel restrictions I can’t get enough miles covered to make it worthwhile just yet.

I’ll have a look around the car and see if I can think of anything else that needs doing at the moment. Although I certainly would not describe the Royal Barge as finished (I don’t think we ever get to that stage with the project), I’ve ticked off all the jobs from my list.

Many thanks for all your help Dave, I’d have struggled to get this far without your knowledgable advice over the past 2 months.

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 20:26   #532
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Yes, I’m pleased with that outcome Dave.

I couldn’t think of any jobs to do on the RB today, which is I suppose a good outcome. I still need to change the ATF again, but because of the pandemic travel restrictions I can’t get enough miles covered to make it worthwhile just yet.

I’ll have a look around the car and see if I can think of anything else that needs doing at the moment. Although I certainly would not describe the Royal Barge as finished (I don’t think we ever get to that stage with the project), I’ve ticked off all the jobs from my list.

Many thanks for all your help Dave, I’d have struggled to get this far without your knowledgable advice over the past 2 months.

Alan
You're very welcome Alan, glad i could help!

Purely out of curiosity, have you ever checked the ignition timing with a stroboscopic light?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 06:18   #533
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
You're very welcome Alan, glad i could help!

Purely out of curiosity, have you ever checked the ignition timing with a stroboscopic light?
You are reading my mind again Dave. This arrived in the mail the other day:

... it is probably almost as old as the Royal Barge. That is a 10 minute job I can do sometime.

Alan
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 08:18   #534
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
You are reading my mind again Dave. This arrived in the mail the other day:

... it is probably almost as old as the Royal Barge. That is a 10 minute job I can do sometime.

Alan
Tipp-Ex and some good shade will be your friends using that.

Use the Tipp-Ex to highlight the timing marks you need and use the shade so you can see the light from it - being neon it's not that bright.
Nice authentic DIY tool from the era though!

Don't forget to disconnect and plug the vacuum line from the capsule on the dizzy, i used to find a small bolt about M4 thread worked well to plug it or a #1 Pozidriv screwdriver.

Once you've checked the timing at idle, if you bring the revs up you can check the mechanical advance and then by refitting the vac line, check the vacuum advance too.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 08:32   #535
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

Use the Tipp-Ex to highlight the timing marks you need and use the shade so you can see the light from it - being neon it's not that bright.

Don't forget to disconnect and plug the vacuum line from the capsule on the dizzy, i used to find a small bolt about M4 thread worked well to plug it or a #1 Pozidriv screwdriver.

Once you've checked the timing at idle, if you bring the revs up you can check the mechanical advance and then by refitting the vac line, check the vacuum advance too.
I saw this on eBay (it cost £2.50) and liked the idea of using a period item for the RB (it won't be of any use on any of my other cars or bikes).

I'd almost forgotten about adjusting ignition timing - I don't suppose I've done that for 20 years (except on one of my bikes which has magneto ignition with CB points).

Alan
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 09:10   #536
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I saw this on eBay (it cost £2.50) and liked the idea of using a period item for the RB (it won't be of any use on any of my other cars or bikes).

I'd almost forgotten about adjusting ignition timing - I don't suppose I've done that for 20 years (except on one of my bikes which has magneto ignition with CB points).

Alan
I thought it might have been along those lines. Nice to have some period tools though, have you tested it works yet?

There are so many things that have disappeared from routine maintenance of cars in recent times. Even on my Volvo which is only 8 years younger than yours, the ignition timing is non-adjustable. That said i can still alter the mixture which i can't do on my Rover which is 6 years younger than the Volvo, can't adjust the timing on the Rover either.

I can't remember the last time i used my timing light in anger either, been sat in a filing cabinet in the shed for several years now!

Old Mar 30th, 2020, 06:14   #537
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

Many thanks Dave,

I should have plenty of time to see if the strobe works and check the timing today. I've done this many times - but not for at least 20 years.

My engine is a B21A with a DVG carburettor, but it has electronic ignition fitted, from comparing the drawings in the manual I'd say the distributor is from a post 1985 B21E motor. That won't really change anything though, I'll still use the 15 BTDC mark at tickover (I marked it yesterday with a little dab of white paint).

Alan
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 08:55   #538
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Many thanks Dave,

I should have plenty of time to see if the strobe works and check the timing today. I've done this many times - but not for at least 20 years.

My engine is a B21A with a DVG carburettor, but it has electronic ignition fitted, from comparing the drawings in the manual I'd say the distributor is from a post 1985 B21E motor. That won't really change anything though, I'll still use the 15 BTDC mark at tickover (I marked it yesterday with a little dab of white paint).

Alan
It's like riding a bike Alan - you never forget. I'm fairly sure your timing is set without vacuum so pull the rubber vac line off the distributor capsule and plug it with a small bolt (M4 works well if memory serves) and you're spot on, the method of triggering the spark isn't really relevant, it's when the spark happens that is the important bit.

You may find it's already timed as it should be in which case, job done but would be interesting to see how far out it is if not.

Old Mar 30th, 2020, 12:28   #539
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
It's like riding a bike Alan - you never forget. I'm fairly sure your timing is set without vacuum so pull the rubber vac line off the distributor capsule and plug it with a small bolt (M4 works well if memory serves) and you're spot on, the method of triggering the spark isn't really relevant, it's when the spark happens that is the important bit.

You may find it's already timed as it should be in which case, job done but would be interesting to see how far out it is if not.
I'm pleased to say the Proops Test Tune works well, it is not very bright, but adequate to show up the mark on the pulley, which is all that matters. Once the motor was warm it took no more than a few minutes to bung the vacuum advance and connect the strobe is series, which showed the timing set to 12 BTDC. The book of Haynes quotes 12 and 15 BTDC for the B21A motor at various places. The mechanical and vacuum advances take the advance out to 30 BTDC as expected.

So, all is well (I suspected as much), I've put the Proops tester back in its box - probably for the last time ever. It was quite nice using a tool that was perhaps 50 years old, and finding it still works perfectly well.

Another job done.

Last edited by Othen; Mar 30th, 2020 at 12:45.
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 12:43   #540
Othen
Premier Member

Default Electronic Ignition

Having established that the Royal Barge's fires are being lit at the correct time, I thought I'd try to identify the electronic ignition system fitted. The ignitor is a Bosch 100 227 039, which would indicate it came from a later model 240, probably this:

VOLVO 240 Saloon (P242, P244) 2.3 81kW 08.1983 - 12.1993

... which makes sense and is a most sensible improvement, completely in keeping with the ethos of the Royal Barge.

I'm happy about that :-)