Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vida Dice problem

Views : 4163

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2020, 02:56   #21
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4 View Post
I tried a different Dice and cables and got the same outcome - no connection noise. So it seems feasible that the problem is the USB connector in the laptop.
Normally more than one USB socket on a laptop though so you can easily rule that out.
Could be that the laptop has been formatted or had a new drive and Windows installed, ie not using the restore disk or partition, this in turn can lead to default drivers used by windows, therefore you may need to find the drivers for your laptop. Having said that, i dont remember the USB not working this way, using USB 2 instead of the USB 3, for sure.

It is quite hard to diagnose over the t'interweb.

For me the check list would be
Make sure sound works, right click speaker in the bottom right taskbar, then Sounds, then doubleclick on item that has a speaker icon next to it in the box, then did you hear anything? If not, ya probably need drivers for the soundcard (motherboard drivers) go to your laptop manufacturers page and find the drivers....

If sound works

Try another USB device, not just another DICE unit, plug in a phone, listen for the USB startup chimes

Sound still not working with another device ie phone, then prob USB lead
Sound working then

Faulty DICE

Faulty USB socket, try another socket

May have missed sommat off , it was just after 2:30am when i started this lol
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 13:27   #22
Chrispynuts

Default Dice Firmware

I have a Volvo Dice unit and when i plug it in all i get is the Firmware status light flashing red a while ago the firmware update was started and it hasent worked since then any ideas please ?
Chrispynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 16:32   #23
P4

Formatted the hard drive, reinstalled Windows, reinstalled Vida - and now I can't even get to the Vida screen. As soon as I click on Vida the next screen insists on access to the internet and will not go past that.
P4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 03:23   #24
Bashy
Aged Member

I dont know much about the installation of Vida as my software came with it preloaded on to Win XP virtual drive and Win 7 virtual drive for the Vida 2014 version.

Go through the installation and setup procedure again in case ya missed sommat, thats the best i can offer i afraid....
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 11:44   #25
P4

Thanks Bashy for your help so far.

I disabled Windows Update and stopped internet access then rebooted. This finally gets me to the Vida screen. But enter 'admin' and the bars go green but nothing else so change the date in the patch. Save, reboot, right click on the patch and open as Administrator. This starts to download then another window shows with:-

Windows cannot find 'C:\VIDA\patch\filldb.cmd

And that's as far as I can get.

Any ideas?
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 08:51   #26
aslan
From far away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
I dont know much about the installation of Vida as my software came with it preloaded on to Win XP virtual drive and Win 7 virtual drive for the Vida 2014 version.

Go through the installation and setup procedure again in case ya missed sommat, thats the best i can offer i afraid....
Just recently went through the agony of installing VIDA again. The old notebook went dead. I'm using another used notebook for the purpose of VIDA.

I assume you're trying to install VIDA onto Windows instead of using the virtual drive / virtual PC method? Have you tried using the virtual drive instead?

I have used that to install onto 2 systems running Windows 10 and VIDA and DICE worked fine.
B230E 740 1989 - sold
aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 09:10   #27
P4

On the assumption you're talking to me Vida ran perfectly well before with Win7 Pro Home Edition. I haven't a clue what you mean by Virtual drive/Virtual PC.
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 19:09   #28
P4

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=2350152

When following this through 1 - 4 is fine but how do you actually disable the Vida Service Monitor? It's not obvious what that means.
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 02:43   #29
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4 View Post
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=2350152

When following this through 1 - 4 is fine but how do you actually disable the Vida Service Monitor? It's not obvious what that means.
Right click on the Monitor in the taskbar (bottom right) choose options i think it is, then hit disable
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 07:49   #30
P4

That's my point, there is no disable option.