Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

An old bloke's motoring history

Views : 3312

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2020, 23:24   #21
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

I agree with you. The R4 was a much better car than a 2CV, and yet still quirky enough.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 18:12   #22
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

I once spent every evening for a week rebuilding Solex 44PHH carburettors. No choice: even all that time ago it was £100 for a S/H pair or £800 for new …
More of the same was on its way. The 190SL could no longer be seen as a daily driver.

The practical solution was an ugly but hugely underrated car. Among other things, I was running a project that meant I had to go from London to Caithness on a regular basis. And back. Other Maxi drivers used to wear hats and stay on the inside lane on motorways. I didn’t. The car didn’t seem to mind how it was driven.

I’ve had two. You should have one as well. Both of mine were white. Instead, why not get one in BL’s newborn’s diarrhoea colour that matched what the critics thought of it at the time?

Then drive it to Patagonia. You’ll get there.

One of my brothers ran a Humber Sceptre for ages before selling it to the other bro. I bought it a couple of years after that. It broke down on the way home. Comfy once it was working again.

Nearly another Moggy 1000, but with a bigger engine and body. This 1500 was a good commuter until the brakes failed and I ran into the back of a friend’s MGA. I dragged it home and put it in a lock-up for a winter. Then sold it for the number plate. There were still broken eggs on the floor, by now extremely pongy.

The GS was sold and the company offered me a brand new Ford. “I’ll have an estate,” I told them. I didn't really need the extra space for work, but it was great for my amps and speakers at the weekend.

The 400-4 had gone for a good price.
A while later, feeling the need for a bike again, I was going to go up a grade. Instead, I went for an affordable runabout.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 19:14   #23
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
I agree with you. The R4 was a much better car than a 2CV, and yet still quirky enough.
And yet I would rather have a 2cv today
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 19:31   #24
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
And yet I would rather have a 2cv today
It's the 4CV that hit's the spot for me George.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Renault_4cv.jpg (135.1 KB, 9 views)

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 20:12   #25
EssexExile
Master Member

This was fun, until I couldn't get in or out of it any more.
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 21:06   #26
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexExile View Post
This was fun, until I couldn't get in or out of it any more.
Panther Lima? I like retro styled cars but it would be a Morgan for me if I had the wherewithal!!
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 21:58   #27
EssexExile
Master Member

Panther Kallista 2.8. Much more practical & cheaper than a Morgan.
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 22:40   #28
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexExile View Post
Panther Kallista 2.8. Much more practical & cheaper than a Morgan.
Can't argue with either of those points. But I prefer the Morgan looks. Even the later boss eyed ones!! I'm sure someone on here has a Marlin also. I think they are lovely looking things.
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 16:41   #29
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Was the Kallista 2.8 engine a Ford V6?

Back to the story:

I wasn't looking for one, but when a beast like this came up locally, I thought it was worth a punt. Torquey straight-six. Electric windows even! It felt like something out of American cop movies.
I couldn’t resist it. It couldn’t resist petrol stations.

As I write this, I’m not sure if my eyes are watering in reaction to cigarette smoke, or because of something else.
The silliest thing I’ve ever done was to listen to her when she said: “We’re moving to a house that needs work; wouldn’t it be better to get rid of a car that needs work, too?”
I took this in part-exchange for the 190SL. Next time you see me, give me a (gentle) smack. I’ll know what I’ve done to deserve it. Vehicle No. 40 wasn’t one of Daimler Benz’s finest.

The Merc 250’s engine blew up. I got it going again but it was never the same. This Manta A was much better.

Our last Morris Minor met its end after the gap between black ice and an old, knotty hedge was too small. My girlfriend and I got something quite different as a replacement. It was almost impossible to drive without a smile on your face.

The Manta also got written off - by an inattentive eejit in a hurry on the Basingstoke Road in Reading. I’d had it less than a year. The temporary measure was to buy another Maxi.

Eventually, a car came up that I’d always wanted. The P6 3500 had great mid-range overtaking acceleration; very comfortable. For only the second time, I had a car that at least once managed 100 miles in an hour. (The first was the 190SL.)

Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 17:03   #30
EssexExile
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
Was the Kallista 2.8 engine a Ford V6?
Yes, you could have 1.6, a 2.8 or a 2.8 injection. A 1.6 would've been fine for me but I couldn't get one so I had to put up with a 2.8