Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 - no power when kick down

Views : 10923

Replies : 78

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2019, 13:31   #61
37 RUBY
Master Member

Hello NorthantsPete

With such a robust yet complex machine I suspect your quest with additives mask the symptoms until all the additive has been burnt in the combustion chamber.

I doubt it is the fuel from either BP or Shell

There are a myriad of components that could cause your symptoms such as failing MAF (as you mentioned previously. Was that a new unit ?), sticking turbo vanes, failing crankshaft/lambda/coolant/inter cooler pressure sensors/failing low or high pressure fuel pumps/partially blocked fuel filter/blocked egr/wiring loom breaks/corroded connectors/worn injectors/tired inter cooler pipe bellowing out.....the list is endless.

You only need one component to throw a rogue signal and you suddenly get the reduction of power you are experiencing.

What you need is an expert who can read into the codes logged to locate the component(s) causing the issue.

If you are relying on one garage and have had no cure they are the wrong garage for you.

Perhaps there is someone on this forum near to you with Vida who can lend a hand.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 18:02   #62
37 RUBY
Master Member

Default From another post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmark View Post
Was actually on 27th December, but I treated her to Polestar upgrade.

Not had the benefit of it, as rarely drove her after and last week driving down to Bristol from S. Yorks she was loosing power badly.

So into Volvo where the Tmap sensor was faulty, so car was not boosting correctly. So that's all fixed and pick her back up this Saturday when I travel back.

Hopefully she is a new car now, as I did notice the odd loss of power before the P* upgrade but put it down to a lazy gearbox as only happened when I put foot down, and only about 2 times, but my drive down to Bristol it happened about 15 times, but now P* and Tmap done it should feel a lot better. Fingers crossed.
I was reading the above from this post https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...12#post2488712

the highlighted text fits with what could be one of a variety issues your vehicle is having.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 15:13   #63
NorthantsPete

So, I found the issue.

With no diagnositics, I thought I either buy a Vida, £60 spent and find out the issue, maybe, and buy more parts or get it to a garage....

or live with it (tried until it happened every journey and shell V stopped working)

or take a punt on a part that I cleaned up, which made a very slight difference.

So, replaced the MAF and all is now fixed! The garage clearly just cleaned it before as they didnt specify they changed the maf, just said they 'did something'. I knew it on my 3rd post it felt like a maf issue as per my old V70 non-diesel, foot down and sputter/no power.

done about 900 miles so far so good.

Last edited by NorthantsPete; Mar 13th, 2019 at 15:22.
NorthantsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 15:20   #64
NorthantsPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatskeleton View Post
once again when joining the bypass after putting fuel in, booted it and it went into limp mode. When I came to a stop 6 miles down the road I stopped the engine and restarted it, an it was fine and went like a rocket. is it an electrical fault?? I cant get my head round it. If it was mechanical wouldn't it be there all the time?
See my last post. Get one cheap off ebay, second hand (dont go chinese), and see if it improves.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 21:21   #65
seanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthantsPete View Post
So, I found the issue.

With no diagnositics, I thought I either buy a Vida, £60 spent and find out the issue, maybe, and buy more parts or get it to a garage....

or live with it (tried until it happened every journey and shell V stopped working)

or take a punt on a part that I cleaned up, which made a very slight difference.

So, replaced the MAF and all is now fixed! The garage clearly just cleaned it before as they didnt specify they changed the maf, just said they 'did something'. I knew it on my 3rd post it felt like a maf issue as per my old V70 non-diesel, foot down and sputter/no power.

done about 900 miles so far so good.
Glad to hear you've sorted it!
How many miles on the clock? Do you know what Volvo part number you used on the replacement?
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 21:43   #66
NorthantsPete

i took the model numbers off the top of the old one

hopefully others get it sorted too, many discount the maf but my second volvo and second maf!
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthantsPete For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 23:09   #67
vcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthantsPete View Post

i took the model numbers off the top of the old one

hopefully others get it sorted too, many discount the maf but my second volvo and second maf!
Can you please tell me where did you got your replacement sensor and what was the price? I have similar issues and this could be the solution.

Thanks!
vcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 12:07   #68
NorthantsPete

Got mine ebay breakers.

So, after many months of various driving, loads, fuels, issue has returned!

You want to knw what's changed? I decided to do a fuel test, testing all fuels for their MPG results on my V70

I was driving around with BP ultimate, thinking how lovely and smooth the car felt and now was it better than normal fuel afterall

So, starting with shell for a change, lets give it a go. 40 litres in... miles 300, not great. Fill up again, another 40 litres in.

Next day, drive down the M1 at 70.. which drops to 60, notice a lack of oomph... put foot down - nothing! Total flat spot again! FFS!

This is the only thing i changed when i got the car, switched to shell ultimate and the issue came after 300 miles.

SO, quick, into tesco, put some normal stuff in, and i get home without issue.

So, Shell Vpower is off the menu permenantly for me!

I wonder if, becuase its not regenning so much its actually slowly building up something somewhere OR the ecu just gives up and doesnt know what to do with liquid gas - ill never know, but its now a toss up between tesco fuel and BP ultimate as the Shell test is OVER! Well, the vpower stuff anyway.

Hunt still continues for the best MPG...

Last edited by NorthantsPete; Sep 18th, 2019 at 12:15.
Old Sep 21st, 2019, 00:30   #69
ferg55

Hi Pete,

Before you spend more money experimenting with fuel types and additives again, don't forget that the most significant thing that's changed is the mileage (and therefore component wear) on your car. It's most likely the 2nd hand MAF sensor you bought off ebay has now failed over this mileage. MAF sensors only last so long, and your 2nd hand one has probably got to the end of it's service life, just as your original one did.

Your power loss has nothing to do with the type of diesel you are using. All diesel sold in the UK has to conform to strict standards, and your engine has been tested to run reliably on all the types available regardless of brand, octane rating etc. Additionally, millions of people every day use all of the fuels on sale; if there were any significant negative effects caused by any of them it would be common knowledge, and they wouldn't sell them.

Hope this helps.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 19:33   #70
vcc

Just to update my story: I changed lambda sensor and now all problems have gone - no intermittent loss of power on steep hills, mileage back to normal again.
vcc is offline   Reply With Quote