Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to: Manual EPB removal/wind off

Views : 19165

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2014, 11:03   #11
Richy Clark

If only I had seen this a few weeks earlier! I changed my rear discs and pads just over a month ago and bought an electronic EPB reset tool from eBay, EP31 Brake Reset Tool EPB Parking Fault Service Scanner Volvo S60 S80 V70 XC60, sold by beat-the-garage, £60, worked a treat, nice and simple.
Richy Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 21:55   #12
cdp8

Default Brake job gone bad

I followed the instructions closely. Had to run to the store for a bigger Torx bit to get the rotors off, but other than that, everything went smoothly. The only thing I did differently was I did not disconnect the electrical connectors from the EPB unit. That step was not mentioned in the instructions that came with the Volvo OEM pads.

So everything is back together and I start the car. I pump the brake pedal a few times; it feels fine. I engage and disengage the EPB a few time and I see two warnings: parking brake not fully retracted and parking brake service. I car hear the EPB working and it sounds normal. I take the car on a brief drive the hydraulic brakes work fine, but the car is beeping incessantly about the parking brake not fully retracted.

Any ideas on what I did wrong? Should I remove and replace the EPBunit again and hope it resets itself? Buy a vida/dice unit? Take it to a Volvo mechanic and spend the money?

Is it safe to drive?
cdp8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 22:31   #13
macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp8 View Post
I followed the instructions closely. Had to run to the store for a bigger Torx bit to get the rotors off, but other than that, everything went smoothly. The only thing I did differently was I did not disconnect the electrical connectors from the EPB unit. That step was not mentioned in the instructions that came with the Volvo OEM pads.

So everything is back together and I start the car. I pump the brake pedal a few times; it feels fine. I engage and disengage the EPB a few time and I see two warnings: parking brake not fully retracted and parking brake service. I car hear the EPB working and it sounds normal. I take the car on a brief drive the hydraulic brakes work fine, but the car is beeping incessantly about the parking brake not fully retracted.

Any ideas on what I did wrong? Should I remove and replace the EPBunit again and hope it resets itself? Buy a vida/dice unit? Take it to a Volvo mechanic and spend the money?

Is it safe to drive?
Had the same problem. The motor on one wheel wasn't winding. I also did not unplug the connector before replacing the pads. I repeated the procedure with the electrics unplugged this time and it was ok after that.
Try disconnecting the plug and re-connect it, it may sort it.
macs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macs For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 22:42   #14
cdp8

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs View Post
Had the same problem. The motor on one wheel wasn't winding. I also did not unplug the connector before replacing the pads. I repeated the procedure with the electrics unplugged this time and it was ok after that.
Try disconnecting the plug and re-connect it, it may sort it.
Thank you very much for the fast response. I will go try that.
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 02:46   #15
cdp8

Macs, I can't thank you enough. I disassembled everything, unplugged then plugged in the connector, put everything back together and it worked fine.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 07:51   #16
I-S
Premier Member

I'll see if I can get the original post edited to reflect the importance of unplugging it. Thanks for the feedback - I had no idea that could happen.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 09:22   #17
macs

glad you got it sorted cdp8
macs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2014, 10:12   #18
tt82
Forum Support Team

I've just changed my rear brake disc and pads. The info sheet provided by Volvo with the brake pads recommends that the bolts (as per I-S's guide) and O-ring seals for the EPB unit be replaced at the same time, Kit part no. 30681857 and has cost me £19.40 per caliper. Given that I can buy an EPB tool for £52 it does seem more cost effective to buy and would certainly be quicker to use an EPB tool.

Having said that though, I think replacing the bolts and O-rings every 3rd or 4th pad change would be very good preventative maintenance.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 11:34   #19
tt82
Forum Support Team

It actually turns out that £19.40 was the pre VAT price so the actual cost for a little rubber ring and 2 bolts from Volvo is nearly £24 for each side. No wonder they recommend replacing them when it's such a nice money earner.

Investment in an EPB tool definitely seems the best option!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 22:13   #20
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBB View Post
Another quick workshop trick is to connect a battery or power pack directly to the EPB connector and allow it electrically to unwind, takes only a few seconds. Simply reverse the connection after pad change for winding back into park position.
I'm about to do my rear pads - has anyone been able to confirm that connecting a 12V power source to the two EPB connectors works to retract the EPB? I'm guessing it does but I'd prefer to know before a shortcut becomes a long cut...

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote