Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2002 V40 1.8i Gifted to me

Views : 373

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2019, 17:00   #1
drone

Default 2002 V40 1.8i Gifted to me

About 18 months ago I did a series of threads on fixing up a V40 that I bought very cheaply at auction for my son. It's now done over 155,000 miles.
He's now moved on and got a new car and, because of a few issues with the V40, the dealers wouldn't touch it as part exchange.
He asked if I wanted it, drove it back from London this pm.
I need to replace the near side rear door and the the n/s front wing, also the driver's door and sort a couple of minor supermarket car park knocks.
The mechanics are first class, on the way down A3/M25/ M20/ 249 and M2 if the gauge is to be believed, it averaged 43.2 mpg, prior to that, driven around London the reading was 37.6 mpg.
I want to refurbish it for my daughter and wonder where the best, ie cheapest, place is to buy second hand body panels? Son wasn't too good at positioning the car in his very narrow drive.
It's silver metallic btw.
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 20:05   #2
gatos
Premier Member

What colour is it? It would be helpful, in case one of the members here has one in that colour. There quite a few S/V40 owners who are also breaking cars in the Volvo S40, V40 classic Facebook group https://m.facebook.com/groups/972416...f=group_browse

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 21:29   #3
drone

Thanks for that info, I did post the colour, as an afterthought, metallic silver.
Old Sep 9th, 2019, 08:35   #4
Dippydog
Premier Member

You might be better off posting the paint code as there can be variations of shade,for example my V70 is silver which I'd say is a silver silver[if that makes sense] where my 960 is also listed as silver but has a different look to it and is in fact silver sand.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 17:27   #5
drone

Where is the code for the paint colour please?
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 18:01   #6
Dippydog
Premier Member

The paint code will be on the chassis plate.Never having owned a '40 I'm not sure where the plate is on them but it'll either be fastened under the bonnet[on the slam panel or bulkhead] or it'll be on one of the door pillars and visible when the door is opened.paint code is usually towards the bottom of the plate and will be three numbers[e.g. 123] sometimes it may appear as[e.g. 123/45] where the first three numbers are the paint code and the last two are the code for the interior colour.A Haynes manual or owners handbook should tell you where the plate is/ how to read it,or if you have neither of these I'm sure a '40 owner/someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon to tell you better.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 21:26   #7
drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
The paint code will be on the chassis plate.Never having owned a '40 I'm not sure where the plate is on them but it'll either be fastened under the bonnet[on the slam panel or bulkhead] or it'll be on one of the door pillars and visible when the door is opened.paint code is usually towards the bottom of the plate and will be three numbers[e.g. 123] sometimes it may appear as[e.g. 123/45] where the first three numbers are the paint code and the last two are the code for the interior colour.A Haynes manual or owners handbook should tell you where the plate is/ how to read it,or if you have neither of these I'm sure a '40 owner/someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon to tell you better.
Thanks again for that, my paint code is 329-52, first three digits are pure metallic silver, last two digits are as follows, for reference:-

The fourth digit stands for:
1 = BASF (Glasurit)
2 = Herberts (STANDOX)
3 = Beckers
4 = IDAC/Dupont
5 = Sikkens
6, 7, and 9 = not used
8 = IVI

The fifth digit stands for:
1 = solvent based
2 = water based Metallic/Pearl + Varnish
3 = water based Solid + Varnish
4 = solvent based Solid + Varnish
5 = solvent based Pearl shine + Varnish*
6 = water based Solid/Metallic/Pearl + 2 component Varnish
7 = water based Solid/Metallic/Pearl + powder Varnish
8, 9 = not used

I got this info from the volvo owners club website, though I'm not a member.