Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Non-Starter

Views : 1002

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2010, 14:15   #1
ian2000t
Premier Member

Default Non-Starter

My dad's got an 850 2.0. Strange thing is I'm sure it was advertised as a 10V but looking under the bonnet the Sparkplug cover says 20V.

Since we've had it, it's been a little touchy starting sometimes but always has done. Anyway last night it refused to start full stop.

It turns over ok (tried charging batt incase it wasn't turning quick enough but made no difference). It sounds like it's attempting to start a few times (you can hear engine turn quicker for a split second like a plug has randomly fired) but never actually does startup.

- We think we can smell petrol coming through.

- When cranking over there was a bit of smoke/fumes coming out of dipstick... and oil filler cap if you take it off.

- After you've finished turning the engine over there seems to be a buzzing sound from the little metal canister under the highlighted cover. I'm not sure if this is normal or not? Or what this canister does?

What things can we check? We're both new to 850's so not sure where the fuel pump relay is (although I can hear something underneath whirring so that might be working ok). Does this car have 1 or 2 fuel pumps?

PS. just noticed that engine bay looks like a turbo... that's just a picture I stole off the net... ours isn't a turbo!

1990 Volvo 760 GLE D24TIC ZF22 - 16psi, more fuel, Monark 293 nozzles, 40mm lower, Bilstein TCs, 24/19 ARBs, full Polybushed front, H&R spacers, 17" Titans. Running Veg oil/petrol mix.
Past: 1988 Volvo 740 B230E M46, 1991 Volvo 940 B230FB M47
ian2000t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 17:38   #2
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Have a read of my reply to this thread - http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=88352

If the engine spins over faster than normal, then it could be your problem...
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 17:45   #3
Oly.850

I haven't read anyone elses threads, but I'd check four things first.

FYI - The buzzzing you hear under the black cover is the idle air controller, and it's supposed to make that noise. It's job is to stablize the amount of vacum in the intake manifold and control the idle.

Things to check:

When you turn on the key, can you hear the fuel pump (usually from outside the car) turn on? If not check your fuel pump relay, etc.

Check small red wire leading from the hot side of the battery, it heads directly to your fuel injection brain and must be remorselesly clean at both ends and no high resistance (internal corrsion).

Check all of your fuses, they often corrode, and even though the fuse is not bad, they can have such high resistance that they won't pass 12v.

Check the Distributor Cap and Rotor. Believe it, sometimes they are so corroded that you can't get any arc between the rotor tip and the spark towers.

If that doesn't get it, let's keep talking.
Oly.850 is offline   Reply With Quote