Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DIY heated washer jets

Views : 6440

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2010, 15:09   #1
capt jack
VOC Member

Default DIY heated washer jets

In common with I guess most drivers, these chilly mornings have reminded me how useful it would be to have heated windscreen washer jets. No matter how concentrated the washer solution is, the jets themselves seem to freeze up very readily.

I was wondering how practical it would be simply to wire in a couple of low-wattage bulbs – one attached to each washer jet under the bonnet, with a switch on the dash. When switched on, the idea would be that the heat from the bulbs would melt any ice blocking the jets.

Having seen how quickly ice will disperse from the roof above the rear interior light of my V70 if that’s left on for even a few minutes, I wondered if the same idea would work for the washer jets.

Has anyone ever tried anything like this?

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 15:32   #2
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

Jack,I know people have used set ups that use the washer nozzle tubes,teamed with a small reservoir ajacent to a manifold.Other than that bulb/water dont mix imo,how are you going to water proof it?On the face of it though it sounds like it would work faster than something allied to a manifold.Well worth looking into.Please post how you get on.Watching with interest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toplights For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 15:59   #3
tt82
Forum Support Team

I had the idea of stripping a kettle and trying to incorporate it into the washer reservoir (obviously with a much lower turn off point than boiling, say 30-50 degrees celsius). This would heat up the fluid but I doubt the heat would travel up the pipes enough to stop the jets themselves freezing. I have found the rear window jet on my V40 is more troublesome than the front.

Maybe a simple solution could be to just pour some warm (not boiling) water over them before you set off.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 16:06   #4
kenny
Master Member

there are loads of cars fitted with heated jets, do a quick google of heated windscreen jets and there are loads of DIY fitting guides.

the whole job can be done for less than £20
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kenny For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 16:34   #5
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
In common with I guess most drivers, these chilly mornings have reminded me how useful it would be to have heated windscreen washer jets. No matter how concentrated the washer solution is, the jets themselves seem to freeze up very readily.

I was wondering how practical it would be simply to wire in a couple of low-wattage bulbs – one attached to each washer jet under the bonnet, with a switch on the dash. When switched on, the idea would be that the heat from the bulbs would melt any ice blocking the jets.

Having seen how quickly ice will disperse from the roof above the rear interior light of my V70 if that’s left on for even a few minutes, I wondered if the same idea would work for the washer jets.

Has anyone ever tried anything like this?

Cheers

Jack
The easiest way is to exend the tubing leading to the nozzles and wrap this extended tubing several ie many times around one of the engine water hoses ie a heater hose or any other you choose which is near the bulkhead.
The tubing and connectors are readily available from any Tropical fish store and will cost pence.
The heat in the engine hose transfers through to the water in the washer hose SAFELY!!!!
Make sure when extending it that you leave sufficient slack for the bonnet to open fully.

Regards Darrryl
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 17:01   #6
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
The easiest way is to exend the tubing leading to the nozzles and wrap this extended tubing several ie many times around one of the engine water hoses ie a heater hose or any other you choose which is near the bulkhead.
The tubing and connectors are readily available from any Tropical fish store and will cost pence.
The heat in the engine hose transfers through to the water in the washer hose SAFELY!!!!
Make sure when extending it that you leave sufficient slack for the bonnet to open fully.

Regards Darrryl
Have just done this and I dont think it transfers enough to properly defrost the nozzles. Still at least slightly warm water should clean the screen better.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 21:16   #7
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

One very basic way round this problem is next time that you have an empty "Fairy" botttle, fill it with quite hot water and a touch of fairy just before you leave the house. You then have an instant squeezy bottle of screen cleaner which can be used when you reach traffic lights, lay byes etc. Just lean through the window and squirt.

Not rocket science, but I've used this way for many years on other cars, and commercials and it works. Keeps the screen clean which is the main thing until things thaw out.

Sometimes trying to get the screen jets clear (especially on a shorter journey) is impossible if it's that cold, and this provides an easy, quick and cheap solution.

Last edited by Oilydad; Nov 26th, 2010 at 21:18.
Oilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oilydad For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 21:56   #8
capt jack
VOC Member

Default In hot water!

Thanks all.

I'm going to try the cheap n' cheerful wrapping of the pipe around the heater hose trick first.

I'm lucky because my car has an LPG conversion, and the fuel vapouriser is directly under the offside washer jet. The vapouriser of course has a very convenient hot water feed and return - it's a ready-made heat exchanger in exactly the right place!

I'll get some washer tube from Halfords tomorrow and see what can be done.

Watch this space and I'll post up news of the results!

Thanks again to all

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 22:22   #9
Volvon
Master Member

My screenwash works down to -10 and its ASDA 5L screenwash nothing fancy. I am doing fine with Asdas stuff (for now). If you use the correct quantities (I dont add water whatsoever) then I cant see why your jets/pipes/resevoir freeze.

Yes, the alcohol or antifreeze evaporates from any screenwash left behind on the jets but the water left behind is microns thin and is easily blown off, even before I start the engine I can apply my screenwash no problem. If your having real difficulty with your jets clogging, spray a bit of de-icer on them when you get out the car before leaving for the night.

If you've got the incorrect screenwash quanity then it'll only add to the misery when your driving because each wash you do it freezes on the wipers and they become like glaciers because of the cold air hitting them. And the jets freeze so bad it takes hours to unblock them. I know because I've felt this misery! Be prepared.

Last edited by Volvon; Nov 26th, 2010 at 22:26.
Volvon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvon For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 22:30   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Its probable that most volvo screen wash reservoirs are grossly weak regarding anti-freezing content .. you will need a LOT of concentrate to protect the 5 to 7 litre volvo washer bottles ! we are talking litres rather than ml ... However once correct you dont need anything else . if you must have heated jets use the ones from the New V70 ...