Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How can some car headlights be legal?

Views : 6442

Replies : 83

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2013, 20:05   #1
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Default How can some car headlights be legal?

I hate my drive home along a national speed limit but slightly windy road. Its fine in daylight but when its dark, its just pure stress. Why? Because I spend a significant chunk of it practically blind. Why? Because oncoming traffic, some of them have headlights so bright that quite literally I can not see anything at all except their lights. The road just sort of vanishes.

Surely it can't be right that the only way you can guess where your lane is is by guessing that you need to stay about 3 ft to the left of the oncoming laser canons?

I wish I was just on about idiots that leave main beam on, but I'm not. It seems about 30% of the cars on the roads these days have normal lights that just blind oncoming traffic.

I thought maybe it was just me, but a lad at work mentioned it today, and his car is newer and higher up than mine and he is younger than me too, so I can't put it down to age.

The thing is, they seem to just keep getting more and more powerful as cars 'advance'. I want brighter headlights for my car, but not that bright. I think its a good thing that headlights on new cars are brighter than in the 'olden days', but you can take it too far. I can't see how it adds to safety or comfort if you are literally blinded every time you attempt to drive at night, ie the very time you need to use your lights.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 20:16   #2
Premier Member

A significant number of drivers are buying "off road use only" headlight bulbs off the internet, often as much as 100w when the normal maximum is 55w.
These days they can get away with it because of the almost total lack of traffic police on the roads, whereas lighting infringements were fair game to the police 20 years ago
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 20:29   #3
green van man
Premier Member

Not sure that 100 w headlights are illegal as the limits were increased a while ago.

Agree that there is a problem, especially with newer auto dipping cars, there always seems to be a 2 second delay between the time you see them and they see you. Perhaps I should stop dipping in anticipation of oncoming traffic and wait till their sensors see me before dipping then we will both be blinded.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 20:34   #4
Thanatos
VOC Member

The newer hids are a lot brighter then halogen bulbs I have the same issue so was looking for a pair of yellow lens glasses that cut the glare out.
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thanatos For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 20:40   #5
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
yellow lens glasses that cut the glare out.
Does that work? I.e. blocking out the worst of the oncoming lights without impeding your vision of the road?
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 20:43   #6
Thanatos
VOC Member

Yeah they do really work had a pair years ago and broke them need to get another pair but get the ones from an optician they may be more expensive but are a lot better
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 20:45   #7
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

One of the biggest problems I find are the cars equipped with HID (high intensity dip). Whilst the design gives a very sharp cut off which should stop dazzle especially when equipped with the mandatory self leveling system. However what is overlooked is the fact that the roads have bends and hills. Get one of these cars coming over the brow of a hill and these lights will be at a height to blind oncoming drivers. If the car happens to be going round a left hand bend at the same time you are met by the full power of these lights and there is no chance of seeing anything. A couple of times I have made an emergency stop as I don't know where the road is going despite trying to focus on the nearside where my lights have dipped towards.

From on occasion having driven some of these cars I find there is a bright pool of light in front but it is hard to see anything beyond that. I would much sooner have my conventional H4 headlamps in my 240.

Another issue is with HID that are mounted high - one of the worst being the Range Rover - and when they tailgate you the interior of the car is flooded by an intense light. Even if they don't follow you just have them pass you on a motorway the kick up of the lights totally blind you by illuminating your mirrors. If you drive a lhd car as I have in the past the problem is even worse.

I remember when they were first introduced and sold on the improved visibility without blinding other drivers. Since they have modified the cut-off to be flatter because of dazzle problems. I feel this is a gimmick that the manufacturer's introduced as a selling point and off course railroad it through for approval as a safety feature!!

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike_Brace For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 21:11   #8
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
The newer hids are a lot brighter then halogen bulbs I have the same issue so was looking for a pair of yellow lens glasses that cut the glare out.
The trouble I'd anticipate would be whilst tinted glasses may reduce glare when glare was present, they might impede visibility when there was no glare, just normal oncoming traffic with socially responsible and properly adjusted head lights?

More worryingly perhaps, they may impede 'natural' night vision, such as from moonlight, which would lead to an over reliance on main beam headlights and then a period of 'readjustment' each time you have to dip.

But I'm open to persuasion on the basis of any well reasoned argument
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 21:16   #9
Thanatos
VOC Member

The anti glare glasses cut out the blue colour of light there's really no extra need for full beam I found

Yeah for there upsides there's the equal downsides one bring the lenses are polarized which may not sound bad but driving and seeing the rear screen spotty at night can be disturbing.
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 21:28   #10
Bill_56
Premier Member

Another thing that ought to be mentioned, was in one of the manuals, 'roadcraft', 'IAM', or ROSPA is, try to avoid the natural reaction which is to 'look' directly into the thing which has attracted your attention. Doing so just makes things worse.

looking away won't help much if the oncoming vehicle is basically unloading a focussed beam of undisciplined light straight at you. But for the more normal scenario of badly adjusted headlights, or fog lights that are on when they should be off you'd be surprised how often, once you discipline yourself to stop looking at them, they cease to be a problem.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill_56 For This Useful Post: