Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Warm Whilst Towing

Views : 1201

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 27th, 2009, 16:20   #1
Johnny8718
V50 2.0D & C70 Collection

Default Warm Whilst Towing

Hello All!

Although my XC70 has never overheated, and whatever the circumstances I can remove the expansion cap without it boiling over, can anyone help with the following.

When towing, the fan kicks in quite a bit. The engine bay 'smells' hot, and I wonder if this is normal? Granted, this is usually when I reach a site or home and have been driving at lower speeds. After a run i.e pulling onto the services, all seems fine.

I have changed the stat for a genuine Volvo part and have fitted a new fan switch in case the fan should be kicking in earlier but the car remains the same.

Does anyone else find the same issue? Would a kenlowe fan be worth it?

FYI, it is a 2.5 low pressure turbo, with the geartronic box.

Thanks, John.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 17:04   #2
Jim314
Premier Member

The cooling system is able to cope with the demand you are placing on it. I don't think you should do anything more.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim314 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 22:52   #3
kev ryder

johnny,if you have no leaks,got antifreeze in,temp.gauge or light of and no steam or banging from rad. ,there cant be much wrong.
kev ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 00:37   #4
pookie
Premier Member

There is no reason to worry. Because you are towing, the engine is working harder, and so it gets to higher temperatures at a faster rate. The existing systems then cool it down as required, this is why the fan is working harder than normal.

Pookie
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 06:27   #5
Oilydad
Premier Member

Smile Warm whilst Towing

Like other posters. I wouldn't worry about it. If everything is as it should be, no warning lights, no excess readings on your gauges, and no strange noises then all is probably just fine. My wife and I have caravanned for over 35 years now, and never had any problem.

Towing a caravan puts a lot of strain on the car, and of course, it's going to get hotter, smell hotter and work harder. I pull an Elddis Avante twin axle 6 berth on my 940 and that's a big caravan, but take your time would be my advice. Treat the car with respect.

Never, ever thrash the car. Stick to the towing limit 60mph where appropriate, and check oil and water before EVERY tow.

We live in Exeter, Devon, and the ones who usually come unstuck are the "I can tow at 80 on the motorway" clever dicks, who usually (down this way at least) manage to overturn their caravan and family all over the M5 after their engines/gearboxes blow up or they hit a cross-wind, or a tyre goes on the car or caravan, causing havoc for hours for hundreds of holidaymakers and working people in this area.

But you've got a Volvo................so I know you wouldn't drive like that!!

Last edited by Oilydad; Dec 7th, 2009 at 06:31.
Oilydad is offline   Reply With Quote