Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ok i want ur storys of volvo tuffness

Views : 3646

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 14:29   #1
jaceuk

Default ok i want ur storys of volvo tuffness

loved the older car owner thread made me chuckle,so cheer me up while i wait for the damn car seller to MOT my 460 which was promised to be ready at ten
gettin fed up,so cheer me up and tell me your tales of volvo's withstand nuclear attacks or at least being rammed by another car,the funnier the better
thank you
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 09:54   #2
dave r
VOC16743

This didn't happen to me,and I was told the story second-hand by a work colleague. It happened a couple of years ago at a level-crossing near Peterborough. A steady stream of traffic was approaching the crossing at a reasonable speed when the signalman activated the crossing lights and the lead car hit the anchors a bit rapidly. This unfortunately resulted in a seven car nose- to- tail shunt, a lot of damage was seen to be done except to the slightly tatty 740est located somewhere near the centre of the heap, apparently all that happened was that both front doors of the 'brick' flew open on impact and no other damage was visible.
P.S. after plod had taken statements and everyone had exchanged details the Volvo was the only vehicle seen to be driven away from the scene under it's own steam. (plenty of everybody else's steam about though!)

Last edited by dave r; Jan 5th, 2006 at 09:56.
dave r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:12   #3
5lab

360 driven into a wall @ 30mph

360 driven into a truck at high speeds

lorry was on the wrong side of the road on a blind hill :P
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 12:46   #4
dodgyken
Master Member

The night before I moved to Switzerland I was driving home turned the corner, thought goes through my head "that car seems to be stopping rather quickly where are its brake lights" SMACK

Went into the back of an Astra Estate at about 30 mph, I smashed a headlight and the 2 dangly fog lights dropped off - the bonnet was bent slightly on the corner. The Astra was a right off and all the other cars in front couldnt move. Meanwhile once the police had attended - and the policeman cursed old Volvos as being indestructible and the death of many a speeding motorcyclist - I turned the engine over, reversed and drove home.

I then fabricated a headlight, sidelight and indicator from some plastic, transparent duck tape and some orange paint - before buying one the following day at a scrapyard in Germany.

I have never figured out how Volvos get to be in scrapyards??? Although the 120mph head on crash that they did on 5th gear between an BMW E34 525 and a Volvo 940 might explain it!

Last edited by dodgyken; Jan 5th, 2006 at 12:49.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 14:57   #5
Suterman
240 Turbo

half a tonne of sand and grit in the back across and open field
1985 Bedford CF2 B230E
Suterman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 01:21   #6
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

Last summer I was from Shropshire to Kent with my in the back listening to . I spent some refuelling in Oxford. So far so good and carried on

I reached the M25 and the traffic. After a lot of I knew I badly needed to pee as I was beginning to feel .The s still weren't moving so I searched my for a to pee in. I couldn't find anything and there were too many lorry drivers with a birds eye view around so there was nothing for it (before my bladder ) but to on the hard shoulder. This was on the M25 where the hard shoulder out every few 100 yards. Do you think would let me back in???? Finally I into the most opportune place which happened to be a doubled up in and relieved myself.

Feeling a bit I back to the M25. Not much further a big y a white van overtook me from the inside and into the side of me. Next thing I knew I was on the central reservation. I looked in my mirror and saw behind me so had to keep . The white van off but I caught him up and got his number. I was feeling rather so pulled the police over as soon as I could. They listened and promptly out that my Road Angel would soon be illegal

Needless to say this was one of my worst journeys ever

Last edited by MissDMeanor; Jan 13th, 2006 at 00:17.
MissDMeanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 01:27   #7
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

PS I thanked my lucky that I wasn't thanks to my

Thank you Volvo for putting a steel plate behind the wing mirrors

And I'd like to add that I've never before used the hard shoulder for something other than a breakdown and hopefully I never will again - it was an emergency

Last edited by MissDMeanor; Jan 11th, 2006 at 17:14.
MissDMeanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 09:17   #8
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

mornin

the missus drove our sierra, yup a sierra, into the side of a V40.

dented the door of the V40, a tiny dent at that, and bent the chassis of the sierra as well as stuffing up the wing/bumper/light etc etc etc.

so what did we get next, a simple choice really, a V40..

cheers

scott
GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 10:41   #9
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorgeousGeorge
the missus drove our sierra, yup a sierra, into the side of a V40.
dented the door of the V40, a tiny dent at that, and bent the chassis of the sierra as well as stuffing up the wing/bumper/light etc etc etc
My Amazon had a similar experience when dad was driving it - small crease in the door (didn't even break the paint) but the other car (IIRC, a Peugeot) had to be towed away

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 13:57   #10
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

not concerntrating i drove my cheesewedge into the back of Sierra that was messing at a T junction (i was looking, seen it clear & went while they had stopped for a picnic i think). Got out & the back of the Sierra was a mess, towbar was bent to 1 side, bumper shattered & the rear wing was rippled. Looked at mine & the only thing wrong was a cracked number plate. Bloke asked me "what the hell is that", wasn't surprised when i told him a Volvo lol
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote