Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Head End

Views : 1115

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 17th, 2021, 14:02   #1
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Default New Head End

I finally got round to upgrading the head end.

Originally, I was going to move my Kenwood single DIN from the V70 into the XC90. It did what I needed so I bought all the parts to do so along with the interface to keep the steering wheel controls. Something stopped me though. Somehow, I wasn't convinced it was the right thing to do long term and, being really picky, I hated the colour mismatch of its frame and the utter waste of space that is the pocket below. By sheer chance I happened upon the Legend front end.

The Legend is sold by a guy from Taiwan but only through a private Facebook group which I wasn’t, am still not really, on. It sounds kinda dodgy but it really isn't. Because I’m that way out, I found the very unit he’s selling on AliExpress and discovered he’s charging three times more. However, and this is a VITAL however, he is unbelievably patient and ultra-supportive. He works six days a week installing these into XC90s in Taiwan and multitasks with enquiries and supporting you. Initially he asks loads of questions about what you want from the system then configures it for you and your specific vehicle. I chose to add some additional software and an HD reversing cam but you can have front facing cameras too as well as DAB etc. For the steering wheel controls, he supplies a new circuit board for your audio control buttons so they then become programable and integrate seamlessly.

Make no mistake, it’s a 10inch screen Android based system so is NOT like a dedicated Kenwood or Pioneer. Some aspects we take for granted in modern radios, like stations automatically retuning to the strongest signal, haven’t yet been included but my feeling is that they will eventually.

Other aspects, like using a separate SIM for data access instead of using your phone for data are super and make life much easier. It also has WiFi built in so you can take advantage of fee access when in range.

The system can output video too so it can integrate with existing RTI (?) systems and if you have it it can output to your existing pop-up screen and headrest screens.

The attached images are of:
- the ‘launcher’ of which there are many to choose from
- the frame that has been cut away to give easy access
- the control module from the old stereo (you keep this to retain your reversing sensors)
- the harness that runs from the head down to the old amp (should you choose to keep it)

Was it worth the money? 100% yes. I love it. It has taken my 2006 cabin and brought it bang up to date. The supplied frame is a PERFECT match too.
I took my time installing. By far the biggest ball ache was the reversing camera. The video instructions are frankly pretty rubbish but once things are thought through its as plain as day. I decided to completely ditch the Volvo attempt to gather radio signals and fit a proper aerial. I could never get decent radio reception cos the aerial polarisation is the opposite to that reqd in the UK. Fitting a proper aerial instantly transformed it for £20 although I never tightened it up properly the first time so had it raining inside‼

One of the things I learned was to take all the antennas down the passenger pillar and across the back of the glovebox instead of trying to go across the steering column. Why the hell I hadn’t ever done this before is beyond me and just goes to show old dogs can indeed learn new tricks.

I’m the kind of person who explores the ins and outs of everything. So, I can safely say I screwed the settings up big time for a while. Now though, having sat and let things cogitate for a while I actually understand just about all settings so if people have a prob can quite possibly help.

I’ve just ordered a small amplifier for the reversing signals as I didn’t have the size and impedance of speaker suggested. This will allow me to alter it to the level I want and also allow me to place it elsewhere.

If anyone is contemplating installing one I’m happy to discuss.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a20210703_140710.jpg (221.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg a20210704_095646.jpg (386.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg a20210703_121630.jpg (376.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg A20210716_125635.jpg (335.6 KB, 104 views)

all cars everywhere are a perpetual work in progress...
YorkshireDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to YorkshireDave For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2021, 17:34   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Thanks for posting - that's very interesting.

Due to changes in jobs and travelling habits etc. I was previously thinking of changing my 2015 XC60 for the very best Mk1 XC90 that I could find and hanging on to it for a while. What stopped me was the tech, I really like the sensus system in the XC60 (never fitted to the Mk1 XC90), DAB radio (never fitted to the XC90) and now my wife has a new Golf with Apple Car Play - I find that hard to beat (wasn't even thought of when they made the XC90).

Hence I'm sort of thinking how could I get a Mk1 XC90 with Apple Car play but not lose any features? Still not sure that's achievable....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2021, 17:43   #3
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Not an Apple person myself but I understand it does apple carplay as it does the android equiv. Its only a chat.

Old Sep 12th, 2021, 20:54   #4
gumboots

Hi. Does your car have the Premium sound system and/or rear headphone units and do they still work as before?
gumboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 23:30   #5
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

No & no.
The legend works with all systems but you def lose the rear seat sockets etc.

Old Sep 13th, 2021, 00:30   #6
gumboots

Thanks YorkshireDave. What I suspected but didn't want to hear.
gumboots is offline   Reply With Quote