Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5244Txx interchangeability

Views : 916

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 12:47   #1
xavierx

Default D5244Txx interchangeability

Hi all,

Are any of the similar D5244Txx interchangeable (specifically in a v70 p3)

I've been struggling to find a reasonable priced D5244T10, so does a similar engine from the same generation fit the same mountings and connections, for example a D5244T15?

Many thanks
xavierx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 15:10   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Even if you can get a physical/mechanical fit with another version, you then have the electronic management to deal (ECM, CEM etc.) which could be a nightmare or unfeasible down to cost and complexity.

Depending on why the old engine is needing replacing, repair or waiting for an exact equivalent may be the only sensible option.
Old Sep 5th, 2021, 17:21   #3
xavierx

It's a catastrophic failure from the drive belt being eaten by the crank pulley.

Are the engines exactly the same between auto / manual cars on the D5244T10?

Regards
Old Sep 5th, 2021, 18:13   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierx View Post
Are the engines exactly the same between auto / manual cars on the D5244T10?
I don't see a different part number for a D5244T10 paired with a manual as opposed to an auto but there are different part numbers linked to different chassis ranges.

36050498 to 167000 and 36050499 from 167001

Whoever is taking your money for an engine should be able to guarantee the compatibility of whatever they're selling.
Old Sep 5th, 2021, 21:43   #5
xavierx

Thankyou for letting me know that information
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 20:09   #6
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I don't see a different part number for a D5244T10 paired with a manual as opposed to an auto but there are different part numbers linked to different chassis ranges.

36050498 to 167000 and 36050499 from 167001

Whoever is taking your money for an engine should be able to guarantee the compatibility of whatever they're selling.
Don't want to appear to be disagreeing but in the p3 v70 there are some hidden differences between the manual and auto engines.. man = 215 bhp & 420 torques...in auto trim have 440 torques...why the difference ??? Even volvo tech don't know... .they referred me to local dealer..
Is the T10 an auto engine only...hence no manual option..Iirc the T15 is manual only..I could be wrong...a couple of years ago I came across this when considering a polestar conversion. Standard 215BHP d5 have different torques but polestar both variants have same torques.
100% agree getting new engine bits talking together could be problems.. one suggestion only use doner metal bits...swap over all sensors/ modules from old engine??

Cheers Bob.
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 21:08   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
Don't want to appear to be disagreeing but in the p3 v70 there are some hidden differences between the manual and auto engines.. man = 215 bhp & 420 torques...in auto trim have 440 torques...why the difference ???
If all of the physical properties are the same, stroke, compression ratio etc., different bhp and torque could easily be a result of a different engine map.
Volvo have history in producing the same physical lump but it being a different engine version as a result of software. P2 Euro 4 163 and 185 for example are the same engine. There are more examples and it's not a unique practice with just Volvo.

It's easy to market "more powerful" versions and generate more money when all you're doing is using the same engine but programming the ECM with different data.

Quote:
Is the T10 an auto engine only...hence no manual option..Iirc the T15 is manual only..I could be wrong
You have to go through individual models and geographical variants in Vida to see what engine gearbox combination is available.
Some D5s have auto and manual versions on some models but manual or auto only on other models.

Quote:
100% agree getting new engine bits talking together could be problems.. one suggestion only use doner metal bits...swap over all sensors/ modules from old engine??
I suppose you could migrate everything but that would present issues with stored mileages and other module serial numbers in the CEM. Unless you want to transfer every module to avoid discrepancies which is just not feasible in my eyes.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 22:19   #8
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
If all of the physical properties are the same, stroke, compression ratio etc., different bhp and torque could easily be a result of a different engine map.
Volvo have history in producing the same physical lump but it being a different engine version as a result of software. P2 Euro 4 163 and 185 for example are the same engine. There are more examples and it's not a unique practice with just Volvo.

It's easy to market "more powerful" versions and generate more money when all you're doing is using the same engine but programming the ECM with different data.

You have to go through individual models and geographical variants in Vida to see what engine gearbox combination is available.
Some D5s have auto and manual versions on some models but manual or auto only on other models.

I suppose you could migrate everything but that would present issues with stored mileages and other module serial numbers in the CEM. Unless you want to transfer every module to avoid discrepancies which is just not feasible in my eyes.
Not often I'm right and I'm wrong again LOL

So..
Checking up the "T10" engine is the only 205BHP motor. Assume supplied in auto or manual flavour.
The "T15" which I thought was my Manual D5, is in fact the auto D5 motor.
My manual D5 is a "T11".

Things are further complicated as the XC60 ran a 220BHP with 420 or 440 torques upto about 2016/7 with 2 different "Tnn" identifications.... and there may be others too

With 4 different configurations, would it not have been simpler to make just the one?? Even if the differences are minor differences in ECU data??

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 23:46   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
With 4 different configurations, would it not have been simpler to make just the one??
In different cars with different weights and performance and power delivery expectations, I can see why there can be multiple configurations found for the same engine even if the majority of the components are the same.

Most owners don't have a clue about what's under the bonnet so with a bit of smoke and mirrors, manufacturers can give the illusion of choice without much effort.

There was a little known variant on my D5244T called the D5244T2 which had a lower power output and a wastegate turbo as opposed to a VNT.
Almost identical to look at but given a different engine code nonetheless.