Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can I blame Brexit for this?

Views : 1395

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2021, 15:02   #11
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Yes you can blame brexit, to but be correct you should blame more specifically the attitude of the EU towards Britain post brexit.

It's been perfectly possible for many years to buy and ship items from almost every country of the world. The only thing that's changed really is a number of EU member states want to be awkward and difficult as their lives are getting more miserable because we're not subsidising them any more.

By the way you can still get Spam in the shops even though it is made in Holland, and the current press around no turkeys for Christmas is nothing to do with brexit it's the shortage of industrial CO2 because they have suspended fertiliser production at two large plants as a result of the rising price of natural gas (CO2 is a by-product and 60% of the UK's industrial CO2 comes from these two plants). The rising price of gas (now x5 what it was a year ago) is largely due to renewable sources failing to generate expected power levels during the summer because of the less sunny and less windy weather, so we've been burning more gas in power stations and now their aint the reserves that were planned and add to that Russia is limiting its exports.

Sign O' Times....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Sep 19th, 2021 at 15:11.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 15:17   #12
sdg1970
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo6 View Post
Is this related to Brexit - almost certainly.

Can you ‘blame’ Brexit is more subjective. I buy car parts from all over the world and to be honest the requirements are not difficult or particularly onerous.
Indeed. I buy Jeep parts from Rock Auto in the States and using FedEx they are always on my doorstep within a week, with all Customs, Vat and Import duties included. All still much, much cheaper than buying from Jeep/Chrysler (for the most part in the UK)

As for Brexit it was always going to be a double-edged sword. I personally was always philosophically sceptical of the EU post-Maastricht, though I'd have no problem with rejoining in a more distant fashion as a pure trading and Customs block. Dissolve the European Commission (which acts more like the Politburo each day) and ECJ and the wider Authouritarian agendas...
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sdg1970 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 14:59   #13
VerdeV70

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepcar View Post
Saw a front wing for an 850 on Ebay for just £46!! it looked ok and it was coming from Spain so there was a £75 delivery charge. Even so that is a very cheap wing. So I placed my order and it was accepted. But this morning I got a message saying that they could not supply to the UK at the moment & my money has been refunded. Anybody else experiencing similar problems with delivery from Europe?
Every other wing I saw was £400 or more, so I might have to attempt a fibreglass repair......
It might be Brexit, but is it coming from a scrapper? Over here, they are next to useless and if it requires any extra work on their part other than actually taking it off the car, they will generally refuse it. Totally normal for Spain
VerdeV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VerdeV70 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 16:27   #14
Monty rudge

Default blame it on brexit

Yes you can blame it on brexit a lot of the European firms find it to much hassle to send to the uk blame it on boris.
Monty rudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 16:47   #15
volvomania

I get exactly the same, but then from the UK.
Lousy shipping and excessive taxes .
But then, and don't deny it, it was the wish of the majority (in the words of the former Spanish cyclist Contador 0,0000000005%) of the British to leave the EU and make our lives (the EU) a misery.
So thank you and apologies that you also get caught up in this .

Born Built Beauties: Parts keeping our cars on the road!

www.Born-Built-Beauties.eu
volvomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 16:52   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty rudge View Post
Yes you can blame it on brexit a lot of the European firms find it to much hassle to send to the uk blame it on boris.
It's the EU member states,particularly France (no surprise there!) that are making things difficult just like they did with the Lamb Wars and countless others over the decades.
They're trying to exercise what little control they have left after trying to ruin/run our lives for nearly 50 years. We should have voted out in 1976 on the real first referendum. In fact, we never should have joined the EEC/Common Market in the first place but that's another story.
Also don't forget Boris wasn't even Prime Minister when we voted out, it was David Cameron who promptly abdicated responsibility the next morning.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 23:43   #17
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Already I'm seeing real 'long-game' upsides,
I run a small mail-order company selling some car parts, but mostly electrical items. Pre-Brexit I would send 10-15% of my product to the EU and NI. These days I don't bother even sending to Belfast. It's hit me in the pocket and I knew it would. I voted for Brexit for long-term gains, short-term I knew it was going to hurt, and it has.

I suspect a combination of COVID and Brexit means, it's set to hurt me more than most of you.

It will hurt plenty more. But.. already I'm seeing real 'long-game' upsides, and I love them all. The lower-rung of our society are in for a pay-rise for starters, those lorry-drivers are now seen in another light. Valuable even?

Govt's own figures had our population going up by 2-3 million a year from one cohort, and we've to put them somewhere? Dear me, our young won't have to compete with them, and might even get a chance to buy housing. We couldn't have that could we?

My housing is paid for, my business secure - I've been getting richer at the cost of our young and the lower 10%. The EU has been good for me. Now that stops, which is good for them.

Of course the EU are going to make it hard, and the French don't like us. What's new?

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Sep 26th, 2021 at 00:30.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 18:10   #18
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
Already I'm seeing real 'long-game' upsides,
I run a small mail-order company selling some car parts, but mostly electrical items. Pre-Brexit I would send 10-15% of my product to the EU and NI. These days I don't bother even sending to Belfast. It's hit me in the pocket and I knew it would. I voted for Brexit for long-term gains, short-term I knew it was going to hurt, and it has.

I suspect a combination of COVID and Brexit means, it's set to hurt me more than most of you.

It will hurt plenty more. But.. already I'm seeing real 'long-game' upsides, and I love them all. The lower-rung of our society are in for a pay-rise for starters, those lorry-drivers are now seen in another light. Valuable even?

Govt's own figures had our population going up by 2-3 million a year from one cohort, and we've to put them somewhere? Dear me, our young won't have to compete with them, and might even get a chance to buy housing. We couldn't have that could we?

My housing is paid for, my business secure - I've been getting richer at the cost of our young and the lower 10%. The EU has been good for me. Now that stops, which is good for them.

Of course the EU are going to make it hard, and the French don't like us. What's new?
Interesting perspective. There's talk now of £15/hour minimum wage, I expect that by next Easter the average factory operative hourly wage will have risen by £1.50 per hour or so. All that has to be paid for but to some extent we've had things too cheap for too long. Consumer goods are ridiculously cheap in relative terms compared to 10, 20 or 30 years ago. We might have to make things last longer or repair them, but that won't be a real hardship. In 1996 I bought a 29" Panasonic Widescreen TV - it cost £1,000 and it wasn't even Digital, HD or Widescreen. The CPI Culumative Price Change since 1996 and now is 92.55% so that's £1,926 in today's money. A 40" Panasonic 4K UHD TV is £520 today, a better TV for just over a quarter of the real cost.

Most life saving, highly effective medicine has bad side effects... the judgement is will the long term benefits be worth it? I think so... BTW the French are probably closer to civil war than ever, and the lorry drivers that deliver to our factory from Spain and Portugal say there are empty shelves their too.

Have you read about the energy issues in China? Apparently the price of coal is set to rocket. Who'd have thunk it?
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Sep 28th, 2021 at 18:16.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 18:14   #19
Cull06
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Interesting perspective. There's talk now of £15/hour minimum wage, I expect that by next Easter the average factory operative hourly wage will have risen by £1.50 per hour or so. All that has to be paid for but to some extent we've had things too cheap for too long. Consumer goods are ridiculously cheap in relative terms compared to 10, 20 or 30 years ago. We might have to make things last longer or repair them, but that won't be a real hardship.

Most life saving, highly effective medicine has bad side effects... the judgement is will the long term benefits be worth it? I think so... BTW the French are probably closer to civil war than ever, and the lorry drivers that deliver to our factory from Spain and Portugal say there are empty shelves their too.

Have you read about the energy issues in China? Apparently the price of coal is set to rocket. Who'd have thunk it?
Brexit benefits.?
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 18:20   #20
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
Brexit benefits.?
Not being exposed to this sort of pointless, self job creating meddling, bureaucratic nonsense :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58665809

This is very bad - 90% of the game changing innovations in computing have happened when one manufacturer has control of the whole platform - software, operating system and hardware. Apple uniquely have this to some degree - at the moment.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: