Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'13 fails to deploy folding mirrors

Views : 767

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2021, 20:58   #1
Mark Bardenwerper

Default '13 fails to deploy folding mirrors

Hello,
2013 XC70, 90,000 miles
I usually do not use the folding mirrors option, and it was demonstrated as working when I got the car a few years ago. About a week ago, I thought I would enable the feature. My wife has been using the car, so I am not sure how it happened, but I got in the car one day and found the mirrors moved outward at odd angles, not clicked into the detent limit location. Pushing them out to a usable angle, they move freely, the detent spot being in the folded position. Pushing them manually into the folded position, they move smoothly and stay put.
What has caused my automatic mirrors to fail to deploy?
Mark Bardenwerper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 15:32   #2
october37

You should be able to reset your mirrors by pressing the Menu Button with the Ignition on, and going to the Mirrors option on the radio display screen.

Last edited by october37; Sep 24th, 2021 at 15:42.
october37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 17:51   #3
Mark Bardenwerper

Thanks for the clue. I found the solution while wandering on the Internet. It turns out that the folding mirrors option can be manually operated by pressing the left and right mirror control buttons at the same time. Press once to fold, press again to deploy. Mine were in folded position, then the mirrors were manually moved outward, placing them in a usable position, but not into the detents, so they tended to wander while driving, and the auto fold did not work at all. When I pressed the "L" and "R" buttons together, I heard a whir of the motors working, then two "clicks" as they reset the mirrors back into the detents. They now work as intended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mirror.jpg (113.3 KB, 7 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Bardenwerper For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 19:54   #4
seanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bardenwerper View Post
Thanks for the clue. I found the solution while wandering on the Internet. It turns out that the folding mirrors option can be manually operated by pressing the left and right mirror control buttons at the same time. Press once to fold, press again to deploy. Mine were in folded position, then the mirrors were manually moved outward, placing them in a usable position, but not into the detents, so they tended to wander while driving, and the auto fold did not work at all. When I pressed the "L" and "R" buttons together, I heard a whir of the motors working, then two "clicks" as they reset the mirrors back into the detents. They now work as intended.
I didn't think about suggesting that, but you're right, I always have to do that to mine after going through the car wash.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 21:20   #5
Mark Bardenwerper

Lots to still learn about these fascinating cars!
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 13:36   #6
october37

I assumed you knew that the two mirror buttons could be used to operate the folding mirrors, but its also amazing how many car owners of all makes of car with folding mirrors are not aware of the option, or how to reset the mirrors to different positions in which they unfold.

08reg XC70 D5se lux Geartronic 208600 miles
october37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 09:22   #7
apersson850
Premier Member

If you press only one of the two R or L buttons, whilst reverse gear is engaged, the mirror will instead turn downwards, to give you a better view of what you are running over with your rear wheel.
Unless you have the option set to do that automatically, that is. If I remember correctly, this feature requires that you have an electrically operated driver's seat, as the memory function required for this to work is handled by the seat's controller.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 19:35   #8
Mark Bardenwerper

Very interesting. Amazing car!
This would be handy for people who set their mirrors in the customary way. I have a method that makes this unnecessary and makes night driving a lot easier. It also decreases the blind spot. I was service manager and trainer for a large cab company and this is how I trained our drivers. Rear end collisions went down drastically.
Sit in the driver's seat and start with either mirror. Tilt you head toward the mirror you intend to adjust and move it until the side of the car is barely visible, just a small slice. Now rotate the mirror downward until you can see your rear bumper end. Your mirror should not see the horizon on a level road but a piece of the pavement behind you, on that side. Now do the same on the other side.
At first, it will be a bit disconcerting, that you can't see the side of your car when you glance at the mirror while driving, but you will have far better coverage of the blind spot area, and the headlights of cars following you at night will not hit you in the eyes. If you want to back up and need to see where your rear end is, tilt your head and you will see where your back bumper is headed. Bingo!
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 23:09   #9
ferg55

With the mirrors tilted down towards your bumper I'm not sure how, on the motorway, you would see cars approaching from behind in an adjacent lane & at a distance?
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 12:10   #10
Mark Bardenwerper

The bumper would be visible in the lower edge of the mirror. This keeps the angle of the mirror out of the headlights of the following car. The purpose of the side mirrors is to aid in backing, but moreso, to monitor traffic in adjacent lanes.