Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where did all the fuel go?

Views : 29323

Replies : 344

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2021, 10:46   #101
ilmiont
VOC Member

This all brings back memories of that Top Gear episode many many years ago now when Clarkson drove a Jag across Europe to Blackpool, no refills allowed, running for scores of miles up the M6 at 70mph, all the electrics turned on, with an estimated range of 0, then getting to Blackpool, dipping the tank and finding it still had several litres in it, I forget all the actual numbers. How many people are being induced to fill up by inaccurate trip computers?

I think our Volvo trip computers are more accurate, speaking for a P2 petrol at least. My estimated range does usually tally with the amount of petrol that's actually going in - i.e. I leave the forecourt on "550 MILES TO EMPTY", and when that's showing 120 miles she does take 55 litres; the maths generally works out. So I think seeing "0 MILES TO EMPTY" would be serious, unlike that Jag.

Since switching to BP Ultimate at the start of the month - no E10 for me - I've seen a 5-10% improvement that's delivered that 550 miles estimate; now an easy 35mpg combined, and I've breached 40mpg on the trip computer for the first time. I was really sceptical it would make a difference... consider me convinced, it's been quite a surprise. This weekend I'm going to have to put in whatever I can find though - if it needs to be E10, I think I'm going to lose 100 miles off the range.

Last edited by ilmiont; Sep 28th, 2021 at 10:51.
ilmiont is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ilmiont For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 11:00   #102
Othen
Premier Member

Default Storm in a Teacup?

I had avoided buying any petrol or diesel for my daily driver cars for the past few days because I hadn't particularly needed any (coincidentally the Skoda and the Porsche were both nearly full when the fuss started). Today I had to pop out for a few errands and took the RB (a 244 auto).

After my errands I noticed the RB was only about a quarter full, so I dropped in to my local gas station (which I happened to be passing anyway). I was pleased to see that although it was perhaps a little busier than normal, there was no queue (none whatsoever, all the pumps were operating and I drove right up to an empty one). The gas station had run out of high grade (that happens sometimes anyway), but the RB runs very happily on 95 octane E10. I bought no more gas than I would normally (£30) which will be fine for a couple of weeks of running around in my 41 year old Volvo.

Much as I thought: all the fuss was due to panic buying, now that people have filled up the tanks of their cars and their jerry cans in the shed the hysteria has subsided and things seem to be pretty much back to normal.

A storm in a teacup.

Ho hum.

Last edited by Othen; Sep 28th, 2021 at 11:58. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 11:12   #103
Fika

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherv60 View Post
If there is no supply shortage then this panic buying won't matter assuming people are making the same journeys as they normally do. The whole situation will be fine in a few days, you can only keep filling the car up if you are driving it.
and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Much as I thought: all the fuss was due to panic buying, now that people have filled up the tanks of their cars and their jerry cans in the shed the hysteria...
That is in line with what I was thinking (or hoping) as well, that this was all just hysteria and within 1-2 weeks it would be resolved. If that does not happen to be the case, there may have been some truth to the claim but we'll see, we're still on week 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dped View Post
HGV driver earned £12hr and works 40hrs a week (he as a great job) gives him £480 before stoppages. Now earns £14hr so get £560 and thinks things are on the up.
Taking that at face value, that's utter garbage of a salary for the pain. Most decent companies recognise shiftwork/odd working hours ruins your health in short order. Nobody at my place (for example) would work those patterns for less than 20 per hour and their work is pretty tame compared to HGViing all night long.
Fika is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fika For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 11:15   #104
Fika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
That leaves 100,000 licenced drivers who are not diriving lorries. Coincidentally, the UK is short of up to (depending on who's numbers you believe) 100,000 drivers. 100,000 drivers - 100,000 vancancies...
I'm not clued up on how consistent that figure of 100k UK drivers not HGViing throughought the years, but where were they before the HGV Mareks of Poland left the UK? Was the pay an issue NOW all of a sudden, where they idling before? There's always more to a story!
Fika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 11:46   #105
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

It is perhaps as well that we are not at war.

In the 1940's, when the Doctor's 10 year old, essential use, Austin 7 might be expected to do 35 - 40 MPG, a range of circa 200 miles from a full (5.5 gallon) tank, a Lancaster Bomber required in excess of 2000 gallons of 100 octane fuel, spread over 6 interconnected wing tanks, to fill up from empty.

It had four Rolls-Royce Merlin engines, each of 27 litres capacity, each one consuming up to 150 gallons of fuel per hour at max - a combined total of 10 gallons per 'plane per flying minute. In addition, 150 gallons of engine oil were carried, 37.5 gallons per engine. An oil consumption of 1 - 2 GPH per engine depending upon it's condition was considered normal.

Petrol rationing, anyone?

Regards, John.
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 11:48   #106
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
It is perhaps as well that we are not at war.

In the 1940's, when the Doctor's 10 year old, essential use, Austin 7 might be expected to do 35 - 40 MPG, a range of circa 200 miles from a full (5.5 gallon) tank, a Lancaster Bomber required in excess of 2000 gallons of 100 octane fuel, spread over 6 interconnected wing tanks, to fill up from empty.

It had four Rolls-Royce Merlin engines, each of 27 litres capacity, each one consuming up to 150 gallons of fuel per hour at max - a combined total of 10 gallons per 'plane per flying minute. In addition, 150 gallons of engine oil were carried, 37.5 gallons per engine. An oil consumption of 1 - 2 GPH per engine depending upon it's condition was considered normal.

Petrol rationing, anyone?

Regards, John.
Wonderful John - somehow that puts things in perspective.

Alan
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 11:54   #107
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
It is perhaps as well that we are not at war...
Give it time. Government distraction activities do seem to be getting bigger...
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 13:26   #108
XCR
Master Member

We move house this week (deep joy....) and I have two Volvos and a Hired Luton Van to do a collective 1200 miles.
After a not inconsiderable amount of stress from months of coordination and planning, this manufactured fuel crisis is now keeping me awake at night.
Perhaps I'll be spotted selfishly brimming vehicles or, God forbid, my Jerry cans and become the target of a media witch hunt.....

Having all your worldly possessions in a van that may just run out of fuel miles from 'home' with your family in two other vehicles facing the same problem is really taking the edge off our happy move.
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 13:42   #109
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I think (rather than know) that motorway services will be prioritised so if anyone needs fuel urgently - I would start there if local stations are empty.

I've not seen any matrix messages saying there's no fuel, they usually do if there is a problem.

But you will pay through the nose.... just cost £125 to fill my Ford Ranger on the M62/A1 Ferrybridge services (I normally would have filled it as I do 90 miles a day going to and from work)
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 14:47   #110
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post

Not a "brexit" thing at all,
Even Grant Shapps now admits Brexit is a contributory factor:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-58719614