Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 2018 T8 clunking engine or ISG noise

Views : 2266

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 27th, 2021, 12:38   #1
crewoof

Default XC90 2018 T8 clunking engine or ISG noise

Colleagues,
I am new here in this forum (from Netherlands), seeking for your advice or info.
I have recently bought XC90 (Dec 2018 model) with T8 engine. After some time of adjusting to it I've started hearing some clunking noise of driver's side when engine is running for few minutes.
I went to Volvo Workshop to check it but they are saying it is normal to the T8 engine as it is charging the battery. However to me it does not make sense.
Because:
- I do not hear this when engine is still cold
- I hear it even if battery is fully charged
- Sound is corelated with engine revs and can be heard until high revs

Does anyone had the same issue? It is a bit disappointing to hear from Volvo that T8 engines are just loud. Why is it then not the case when engine is cold?

Volvo was explaining to me that the integrated starter generator is producing lots of forces which impact the engine sound... I am not sure if this is all correct. Additionally sometimes I also feel a little vibration between 2000 - 2800 rpm. Not always, more when engine is not yet fully hot.

It is so annoying to hear this sound all the time. Did anyone else noticed this?
crewoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 12:56   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Ask your dealer if you can drive one of their demonstrator cars to see if that one makes the same noise you are hearing on your car.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 13:56   #3
sk546
Master Member

Well, I can't say I have heard anything like that from my car. The ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) on the T8 isn't the quietest or nicest sounding engine out there but it never sounds clunky.
When the Volvo workshop says the engine in charging the battery, do you have the 'Charge' feature selected on the Sensus screen that uses the ICE to charge the Hydrid batteries or do they mean the alternator/generator that charges the 12v batteries?
If you do have the 'Charge' function selected (which I don't recommend as it uses far too much fuel to gain much charge in the hybrid batteries), does the noise go away when you de-select the 'charge' function?

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 10:34   #4
crewoof

Hi,
Thank you for replying so quickly.
Wrt question on other model: no I have not yet been given an option to ride other model. When asked for that, they said they do not have it available now..

Wrt question on charge mode: There is only a minor difference in sound when I select charge or on regular Hybrid mode drive (with petrol engine in use).

What I did notice although is:
When on "parking" with ICE turned on, the sound is nearly none recognizable. Only when Drive is selected I can hear it. So the sound can be heard only when engine is under load (or maybe the gearbox?). If those would be mounting brackets, then there would be no difference between cold (no noise that I can hear) and warm engine, correct?
crewoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 11:28   #5
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewoof View Post
What I did notice although is:
When on "parking" with ICE turned on, the sound is nearly none recognizable. Only when Drive is selected I can hear it. So the sound can be heard only when engine is under load (or maybe the gearbox?). If those would be mounting brackets, then there would be no difference between cold (no noise that I can hear) and warm engine, correct?
It is possible that a worn engine/gearbox mount could make a bit more noise as the rubber mount material warms up and becomes more supple however, there should still be some noise if this was the case with the engine idling in park as the engine is still vibrating about a bit.
The fact the noise is there when with the gearbox selected to Drive could indicate something else.

The best part now it that you have found something the garage can test and look into and what you have found contradicts what the garage originally said the issue was so they should have to look into it.

Hope they find the issue and you can start enjoying your car.

Old Sep 28th, 2021, 15:22   #6
crewoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
Well, I can't say I have heard anything like that from my car. The ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) on the T8 isn't the quietest or nicest sounding engine out there but it never sounds clunky.
When the Volvo workshop says the engine in charging the battery, do you have the 'Charge' feature selected on the Sensus screen that uses the ICE to charge the Hydrid batteries or do they mean the alternator/generator that charges the 12v batteries?
If you do have the 'Charge' function selected (which I don't recommend as it uses far too much fuel to gain much charge in the hybrid batteries), does the noise go away when you de-select the 'charge' function?
What do you mean that in your case the ICE is not the quietest or nicest sounding engine? Do you observe it sound a bit like "diesel"?
As I am not 100% sure now if that is any mechanical part giving this sound or just an engine under heavy load, within certain rpm range..
Mine sounds like "clunking" / diesel..
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 15:37   #7
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewoof View Post
What do you mean that in your case the ICE is not the quietest or nicest sounding engine? Do you observe it sound a bit like "diesel"?
As I am not 100% sure now if that is any mechanical part giving this sound or just an engine under heavy load, within certain rpm range..
Mine sounds like "clunking" / diesel..
Mine never sounds like a Diesel, not even under heavy load but it isn't the nicest sounding of performance engines when you are revving it out to the red line, it just makes a bland (if very loud) humm rather than a nice aggressive yowl like a Mercedes A35/A45 AMG would with a similar size 4 cylinder engine.
When I am driving my car in a spirited manner, I tend to use the manual option on the gearbox to use higher gears when accelerating hard, this manages to utilise the masses of low down torque the supercharger and turbocharger make rather than the gearbox constantly kicking down and the engine revving beyond 5,000 rpm. I find the sweet spot is between 1,800 rpm and 4,750 rpm. It makes good power beyond that but it screams too much while doing it.

Last edited by sk546; Sep 28th, 2021 at 15:45. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 23:24   #8
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
Mine never sounds like a Diesel, not even under heavy load but it isn't the nicest sounding of performance engines when you are revving it out to the red line, it just makes a bland (if very loud) humm rather than a nice aggressive yowl like a Mercedes A35/A45 AMG would with a similar size 4 cylinder engine.
When I am driving my car in a spirited manner, I tend to use the manual option on the gearbox to use higher gears when accelerating hard, this manages to utilise the masses of low down torque the supercharger and turbocharger make rather than the gearbox constantly kicking down and the engine revving beyond 5,000 rpm. I find the sweet spot is between 1,800 rpm and 4,750 rpm. It makes good power beyond that but it screams too much while doing it.
The Germans are the masters of synthesised engine cabin noise though of course - performance BMWs, Golf R etc - they all do it so assume Merc do too.

I think the T8 has a certain purposeful note when pushing on, which I think in Volvo’s case is at least ‘natural’!

Re the OP’s enquiry, I’ve never heard any noises like those described in nearly 4 years of running T8s

D76
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 08:27   #9
crewoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
The Germans are the masters of synthesised engine cabin noise though of course - performance BMWs, Golf R etc - they all do it so assume Merc do too.

I think the T8 has a certain purposeful note when pushing on, which I think in Volvo’s case is at least ‘natural’!

Re the OP’s enquiry, I’ve never heard any noises like those described in nearly 4 years of running T8s

D76
Yes, I was also a bit negative about the response of Volvo that "this engine has this noise by default.." I can understand high revs under full load but not a diesel soundalike petrol engine. This is the only thing that bothers me in my Volvo, so I am eager to find the cause. Anyway tomorrow I have a test ride with another Volvo dealer in new XC90 T8 and I will have a comparison then. I will post you the results.
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 14:53   #10
NewXC90George

Im 54 and find it hard to hear the engine (in my t8) at lower revs, when i rev it up it sounds like a smooth petrol hum. Im no expert but would expect maybe an engine mount bush or mounting problem causing a vibration or knocking. I've had it with an exhaust rubber clamp missing in a car a few years back
NewXC90George is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clunking, loud engine, rattling noise, t8 twin engine