Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 833757

Replies : 6325

Users Viewing This Thread : ITSv40, Magma, Steve 940

Old Sep 27th, 2021, 00:18   #1041
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
There was a long period of time when all my cars, Maxis included, seemed to do 28mpg.
My first Maxi experience (the 1750 loaner) that only did 15mpg was at a time i had a 2.0 Ambassador that returned 30-32mpg usually so it made me cough a bit as an apprentice at the time!

Next one i'd gone from a 2.0 Cavalier that did 29mpg to 16mpg from a 1500 Maxi that i sold after 6 days and bought a VX2300 that managed 26mpg from day one. Fitted twin carbs and got 28mpg out of it as well as much improved performance!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 00:54   #1042
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
There was a long period of time when all my cars, Maxis included, seemed to do 28mpg.
I started driving in 1978... I remember that at the time motor cars that achieved 30 MPG were considered to be frugal.

Times have changed :-)

Last edited by Othen; Sep 27th, 2021 at 00:54. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 08:30   #1043
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I heard that as well, blamed on an error in the Drawing Office allegedly!
According to Jeff Daniels' book "British Leyland - the truth about the cars" the original Maxi would be fitted with a 1.3litre version of the E-Series engine with the 1.5litre an option; the 1750cc unit appeared some 18 months after the original car's launch along with the rod-operated gear linkage which was in the pipeline even as the cable-operated one entered service. Talk about using your customers as development engineers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
What incredible knowledge of older cars you have Loki; if ever I enter a pub quiz when the topic is motor cars I want you on my team!
There weren't "older cars" in my time, but the latest products!

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 08:33   #1044
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
What is it they say, " triumph of optimism over experience ".
"A triumph of hope over experience" is the version I'm familiar with but it's the same sentiment. It has also been said of bigamists, along with "making the same mistake twice".

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 10:12   #1045
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
There weren't "older cars" in my time, but the latest products!

Point taken Alf. I'd still want you on my team at the pub quiz if 'motor cars' was the topic!

Last edited by Othen; Sep 27th, 2021 at 10:13. Reason: Grammar.
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 15:59   #1046
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
"A triumph of hope over experience" is the version I'm familiar with but it's the same sentiment. It has also been said of bigamists, along with "making the same mistake twice".

The penalty for bigamy is, more in laws ...

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 20:25   #1047
Othen
Premier Member

It is the second time this old bus has been through the eBay mill:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234204927...53.m1438.l2649

... the first time it 'sold' for £1,480, which I rather suspect was a shill bid as it reappeared the very next morning back to the original starting price (£1,400).

I can't see any reason why this one would make strong money, it is a long way from being an historic vehicle and is just an old and worn motor car. £1,400 might be stretching its value a bit... we'll see.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Sep 28th, 2021 at 20:26. Reason: Grammar.
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 20:33   #1048
Othen
Premier Member

Default Wonderful!

Just read through the wonderfully candid item description for this scooby:

One previous lady hooker owner. plenty of back seat action 94,000 miles, drives like its done 294,000 - Hi- Lo box - tow bar - heaters not working but i just put a blanket on my knee. Plenty of knocks and rattles. More smoke than an Amsterdam coffee shop. ready for new tyres canvas showing on all 4 corners. Colin Mcrae would be proud. Subaru roof rack and spare snow shovel. some times starts if it feels like it, on the mornings it doesn't i catch the bus. cig burns and dog chewed seats, smells like a whores handbag. To describe the brakes as spongy would be generous, it would be more accurate to say they feel like a bearns full nappy, i wouldn't even let the ex wife drive it or her new bloke, but it does stop on the handbrake you just have to be ready at junctions etc - perfect for the coming winter the ultimate winter vehicle, you will not get a bird in this car. used as lockdown love shack car since last year and has been a joke between my mates at the boozer where it is parked most nights. - New tattoo forces sale

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224602313....c100667.m2042

... if there is an eBay award for the most honest decsription this one would win it!

Last edited by Othen; Sep 28th, 2021 at 20:35.
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 20:41   #1049
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
It is the second time this old bus has been through the eBay mill:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234204927...53.m1438.l2649

... the first time it 'sold' for £1,480, which I rather suspect was a shill bid as it reappeared the very next morning back to the original starting price (£1,400).

I can't see any reason why this one would make strong money, it is a long way from being an historic vehicle and is just an old and worn motor car. £1,400 might be stretching its value a bit... we'll see.

Weren't we looking for a tan leather interior coupled with a set of Virgo alloys recently Alan? It's only a GL as well, not a GLT so doubtful it left the factory with them!

Will be interesting to see what it makes really - shame his kids have kicked seven bells out of the console, rare colour and almost impossibl to find secondhand.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 20:45   #1050
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Just read through the wonderfully candid item description for this scooby:

One previous lady hooker owner. plenty of back seat action 94,000 miles, drives like its done 294,000 - Hi- Lo box - tow bar - heaters not working but i just put a blanket on my knee. Plenty of knocks and rattles. More smoke than an Amsterdam coffee shop. ready for new tyres canvas showing on all 4 corners. Colin Mcrae would be proud. Subaru roof rack and spare snow shovel. some times starts if it feels like it, on the mornings it doesn't i catch the bus. cig burns and dog chewed seats, smells like a whores handbag. To describe the brakes as spongy would be generous, it would be more accurate to say they feel like a bearns full nappy, i wouldn't even let the ex wife drive it or her new bloke, but it does stop on the handbrake you just have to be ready at junctions etc - perfect for the coming winter the ultimate winter vehicle, you will not get a bird in this car. used as lockdown love shack car since last year and has been a joke between my mates at the boozer where it is parked most nights. - New tattoo forces sale

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224602313....c100667.m2042

... if there is an eBay award for the most honest decsription this one would win it!

Hmmmmmmmmm, reverse psychology - interesting!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: