Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

244GL 1981 getting back on the road

Views : 3137

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2021, 09:41   #31
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Line up the crankshaft pulley mark with the timing belt cover mark and then remove the belt cover. The camshaft sprocket should be lined up with the notch in the cambox lid and the auxiliary shaft mark with its corresponding mark on the block. Turn the crankshaft until they do line up.
Just to add a little useful info on this, turn the crankshaft clockwise as viewed from the front when lining up the marks. If you happen to miss them and go past, turn another nearly 2 full turns on the crank and be more careful next time. Sounds a bit fussy i know but there are many good reasons for this.

Not 100% sure this applies to the B21 but certainly on the B2xx engines, retension the belt after 600 miles by setting the timing to the timed position (crank @ 0deg, cam and aux shaft marks lined up against their notches) and release the tensioner locknut so the tensioner spring can take any slack out of the belt and then retighten the locknut.

This can be done (on the B2xx engines at least and i believe the B2x) simply by removing the rubber plug/grommet in the upper timing cover, checking the timing marks and using a socket through the rubber plug hole. Refit the rubber plug after.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 09:38   #32
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Just to add a little useful info on this, turn the crankshaft clockwise as viewed from the front when lining up the marks. If you happen to miss them and go past, turn another nearly 2 full turns on the crank and be more careful next time. Sounds a bit fussy i know but there are many good reasons for this.

Not 100% sure this applies to the B21 but certainly on the B2xx engines, retension the belt after 600 miles by setting the timing to the timed position (crank @ 0deg, cam and aux shaft marks lined up against their notches) and release the tensioner locknut so the tensioner spring can take any slack out of the belt and then retighten the locknut.

This can be done (on the B2xx engines at least and i believe the B2x) simply by removing the rubber plug/grommet in the upper timing cover, checking the timing marks and using a socket through the rubber plug hole. Refit the rubber plug after.
Good shout Laird; the B21s also have the rubber bung and the Haynes manuals DO recommend re-tensioning after a few hundred miles.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 10:33   #33
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Good shout Laird; the B21s also have the rubber bung and the Haynes manuals DO recommend re-tensioning after a few hundred miles.
... I have a feeling our friend dmw244gl won't be keeping the motor car long enough to worry about re-tensioning the cam belt :-)
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 13:46   #34
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... I have a feeling our friend dmw244gl won't be keeping the motor car long enough to worry about re-tensioning the cam belt :-)
Sadly i think you're right Alan but it would be foolish to not do those 600 miles to give the car a shake-down and then tighten it again before selling. Last thing he would want is a buyer taking him to court for a blown engine becauses of either timing belt failure or something else that could have been found on a proper shake-down.

There's a buyers guide on the 240 in the current issue of Practical Classics, think they have some "facts" wrong but i don't know the 240 in intimate detail to be sure about that. For example, they are quoting the 2316cc injection engine as 134bhp and electronic injection. Strange!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 16:18   #35
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:

I have changed the cam belts on all my cars and it’s always been my belief that engines should only ever be turned clock wise as you say.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 17:04   #36
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
S
There's a buyers guide on the 240 in the current issue of Practical Classics, think they have some "facts" wrong but i don't know the 240 in intimate detail to be sure about that. For example, they are quoting the 2316cc injection engine as 134bhp and electronic injection. Strange!
The car they use to illustrate the article was described by the vendors as "original". If so, then it must be unique as it uses 1979-81 tail lamps and roof-mounted radio antenna with a post-1983 (I think) front end.

B23E and B230E used K-Jetronic which is essentially mechanical; the last models used Bosch LH2.something. B23E's developed 140BHP while B230Es put out 133BHP

I suspect that the 240 mavens will have a field day at the BKV tomorrow! Especially if the Practical Classics car turns up.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 17:34   #37
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
The car they use to illustrate the article was described by the vendors as "original". If so, then it must be unique as it uses 1979-81 tail lamps and roof-mounted radio antenna with a post-1983 (I think) front end.

B23E and B230E used K-Jetronic which is essentially mechanical; the last models used Bosch LH2.something. B23E's developed 140BHP while B230Es put out 133BHP

I suspect that the 240 mavens will have a field day at the BKV tomorrow! Especially if the Practical Classics car turns up.
I've found the B230E listed in various places as 129, 131 and 133bhp (not only general literature but also Volvo!) but they're all 131 +/-2bhp so within the bounds of possibility. I didn't know the B23E was rated at 140bhp but it makes sense, it wasn't tuned for economy as much as the B230E was.

I thought there were a few strange looking things on that red one in PC as well, couldn't put my finger on what exactly but enough to argue it wasn't original!

I wouldn't call either of my cars totally original, my 760 has the later clear front indicators, clear rear indicators, one (so far) darker refurbished alloy, aftermarket twin tailpipe polycarbonate/stainless steel back box, lighter carpet than it left the factory with plus a load of other very subtle mods you won't find unless you go looking and really know the model.

Ditto on my Rover, it's running on S/V40 Telesto alloys, has a unique custom, hand-built grille, day running lights built into the front indicators, Atlantic blue carpets from a Mk1 (rare in those), door card inserts in Atlantic blue leather (recoloured from Stone Beige originally), a custom cup-holder (only know of one other car similar, made using the same bits) and various other things that aren't original and are generally hidden until used/needed.

That said, they all make life easier/better/nicer for me and even the purists would have a hard time spotting the differences - even the grille!

Old Jul 12th, 2021, 12:54   #38
dmw244gl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
your correct, this was always to do up and get running and then sell for my uncle to help him out.

Thanks for all the guidance and help.

the car is with a family friend at the moment, whos a mechanic who's doing the work.

Last edited by dmw244gl; Jul 12th, 2021 at 12:56.
dmw244gl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmw244gl For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 06:33   #39
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw244gl View Post
your correct, this was always to do up and get running and then sell for my uncle to help him out.

Thanks for all the guidance and help.

the car is with a family friend at the moment, whos a mechanic who's doing the work.
Absolutely, you had explained that previously. I think it is commendable that you have taken on this project in order to help your uncle - well done.

We all wish you well with the project, and in achieving a good sale price (without having too much expense) for your uncle.

Alan
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 15:40   #40
dmw244gl

sorry for the slow updates, been away.

so ordered some second hand parts, which have all been fitted now.

sorted the broken screw thread out with a second hand distribtutor unit and lucky got a deal on another stromberg 175 carb for it to and its running so much better now.

been out for a few drives in it recently and enjoyed the drive, only done about 100 miles. its a good arm work out at slow speeds,

next is to give it a clean inside now its back at mine.
dmw244gl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmw244gl For This Useful Post: