Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Life with my 960 Estate

Views : 14207

Replies : 219

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2021, 21:04   #91
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisthewarlock View Post
Took a nice run out today just over the boarder into Norfolk, weather was great and my big girl looked glorious in the sunshine.

I went to look at an 850 t5 Auto Saloon that was a real barnfind project... something I didn't know before going but hey it gave my goddess a chance to shine and really quelled my inner speed daemon.

We blasted those country lanes enjoyed the sun and made a tatty 850 t5 look sad sorry t5

I may take a run to Swavesey tomorrow to the meet since it's not far at all .. not sure I can manage all day there .. just depends how and what my bowl cancer buddy is doing to me on the day..

Anyhow hope to be there

Ben
Hope you took your passport, phrase book and bullet proof vest with you!

You must be fairly near a common cure for the inner speed demon, the Ramsey Forty Foot, that's a "kill or cure" jobby though! It was at one time the most dangerous road in Britain and i believe still in the top 10 - there was a thing on TV a few years back about Britains most dangerous roads (that might even have been the title, can't remember now) and the Forty Foot was definitely up there, i think most dangerous one year then slipped to second place, beaten by somewhere up north if memory serves.

What's happening at Swavesey tomorrow then?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 21:14   #92
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Hope you took your passport, phrase book and bullet proof vest with you!

You must be fairly near a common cure for the inner speed demon, the Ramsey Forty Foot, that's a "kill or cure" jobby though! It was at one time the most dangerous road in Britain and i believe still in the top 10 - there was a thing on TV a few years back about Britains most dangerous roads (that might even have been the title, can't remember now) and the Forty Foot was definitely up there, i think most dangerous one year then slipped to second place, beaten by somewhere up north if memory serves.

What's happening at Swavesey tomorrow then?
MG club are hosting a VOC meet details here but note start time is 10.30am not 9.00am!

Yes the Forty Foot was a killer of the unwary but a 50 mph limit and average speed cameras all along the fast straight have stopped that dead
nemesisthewarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 21:31   #93
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
MG club are hosting a VOC meet details here but note start time is 10.30am not 9.00am!

Yes the Forty Foot was a killer of the unwary but a 50 mph limit and average speed cameras all along the fast straight have stopped that dead
I thought Swavesey sounded a bit MG-ish, i'm not really functional at 1030 in the morning these days so won't be along and it's a long time since i've owned an Octagon-badged car - about 25 years in fact. Always fancied an MGB but they didn't make many autos and i'm not even sure if i could get in and out of one now.

Last time i was along the Forty Foot the 50 limit had just come in but no average speed cameras. Even at 50mph i'm sure it can give a few brown trouser moments unless they've resurfaced it recently.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 22:09   #94
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Quote:
I thought Swavesey sounded a bit MG-ish, i'm not really functional at 1030 in the morning these days so won't be along and it's a long time since i've owned an Octagon-badged car - about 25 years in fact. Always fancied an MGB but they didn't make many autos and i'm not even sure if i could get in and out of one now.

Last time i was along the Forty Foot the 50 limit had just come in but no average speed cameras. Even at 50mph i'm sure it can give a few brown trouser moments unless they've resurfaced it recently.
The real brown trouser moment comes when Farmer Pyles pulls out in front of you from a side road or field with spikey discs of death hanging off his John Dear!
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 05:32   #95
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Pretty mundane week.... stomach has been playing me up .. has meant days of pain and not much Volvo action.

However yesterday I went to a committee meeting for the games club I am the treasurer for.

That meant firing up the big girl for a short jaunt to Chatteris.. she is performing well and pulls like a train; in fact better than ever, so my enthusiastic driving must be rubbing off on her

Over tea and talk the subject of Fuel Shortages came up with the owners of two "Milk Floats" presents gloating about me using precious fuel whilst their cars sipped voltage.

I laughed and told them how I would rather run my 26yr old 3 litre than either of their bland boxes. I had more fun driving to that meeting than they will have in a year of driving their milk floats...

I really wish the full environmental impact of "new electric vehicles" was being reflected - I think the stored energy in my car from it's manufacturing alone more than offsets exhaust emissions whereas in 26 years time I doubt their cars will still be with us?

An enthusiastic jaunt home after the meeting blew my troubles and pain away .. who needs pills when you have a 960?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 11:03   #96
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

Over tea and talk the subject of Fuel Shortages came up with the owners of two "Milk Floats" presents gloating about me using precious fuel whilst their cars sipped voltage.

I laughed and told them how I would rather run my 26yr old 3 litre than either of their bland boxes. I had more fun driving to that meeting than they will have in a year of driving their milk floats...

I really wish the full environmental impact of "new electric vehicles" was being reflected - I think the stored energy in my car from it's manufacturing alone more than offsets exhaust emissions whereas in 26 years time I doubt their cars will still be with us?
I hope those two owners enjoy paying their gas bills! We've had precious little sun this year and not much wind either so the renewable energy hasn't been produced - hence electricity companies using gas to power generating stations and the monumental hike in wholesale gas prices! What was the electricity used for produced by this gas? Charging BEVs!

As for the carbon footprint of your car, that's long-since recovered and you're so far "in credit" that for just the carbon footprint of making one of those BEVs, you could run your 960 for about another twenty years, especially as you don't drive many miles.
By the time either of those BEVs reaches 8-10 years old, it will need a new battery which is another big clod-hopper of a carbon footprint to take into account. So much for being a "green" solution!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 12:37   #97
kiloran

The only truly green solution when it comes to transport is less powered personal transport. Or, owning a gas-guzzler which makes you think twice about using it.

I've been laid up for a week after a minor op and popped out to find the Golf almost out of petrol for the school run. For some reason its little 1.6 16v engine demands SUL, which was handy as it was all the local garage had. Lots of people wondering whether it was OK to use SUL in a UL car, which says a lot about modern car ownership.

I remember during the last big fuel crisis I was running a Mk1 Golf GTI at the time which demanded 4-star, which yet again was in plentiful supply.

I probably shouldn't mention I've got a full tank of E5 UL in my 940 - I filled up and only got two miles before the HG finally let go.
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 13:02   #98
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Unbelievable people wondering whether it was ok to use super unleaded in an unleaded car - the clue is in the name!

You know that, i know that but like you say, it seems they are conditioned to only think inside the box - worse still most are university graduates and once upon a time, universities promoted lateral thinking rather than literal thinking.

Luke may have to drain the tank as there's a chance that fuel will have gone stale, unleaded these days seems to have a short shelf life, exacerbated by adding ethanol to it especially as it's hygroscopic and water being heavier, will settle at the bottom of the tank.

Sounds like your Golf is one of the first FSi models that can't run E10?

Old Sep 27th, 2021, 23:46   #99
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

So tomorrow is Games night and I plan to load up the 960 with boardgames and bodies for an evening of fun and games down the Pub..

And biased though I am I think once again my 960 will stand out as a rose amongst modern thorns
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 10:09   #100
kiloran

Quote:

Sounds like your Golf is one of the first FSi models that can't run E10?
Not a Fizzy, just a bog-standard 1.6 16v. It's an ancient design, goes way back to the leaded days which might be part of the reason. Has a tendency to burn valves if run on UL, much prefers V-Power. Mine gets 1 tank in 4 of the strong stuff.